Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Indeed, the real reason why they don't want this change has nothing do with 'saving money' ... it's because they don't want a Black woman on their money. There is a direct correlation between racism and supporting Trump.

They think they have everyone fooled but they really don't, we all know exactly what they are.
Would having George Washington Carver make them happy? I would have no problem with having a black person on the money whose accomplishments went beyond symbolism.

Or Jackie Robinson?

Old 12-19-2016, 07:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Indeed, the real reason why they don't want this change has nothing do with 'saving money' ... it's because they don't want a Black woman on their money. There is a direct correlation between racism and supporting Trump.

They think they have everyone fooled but they really don't, we all know exactly what they are.
Oh my.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Not only that, I'm sure that having a woman on it at all has all these folks having a major identity crisis. Women and money! No, it can never happen!
Same as above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'd prefer Frederick Douglass on the $20 Bill, but I'll settle for Harriet Tubman.
I very much admired Frederick Douglass. Nothing against Tubman but I like Andrew Jackson better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Before he became president he did kill some natives, as a military commander he was under orders to do so, and the US was at war with some indian tribes whom were killing settlers. Jackson was carrying out his orders.

Concerning the Cherokee, he saved thousands of Cherokee lives by not obeying the court decision, and ordering their removal from Georgia. Times being what they were, The banks, railroads, miners, settlers and the State government of Georgia all wanted the Cherokee removed as per terms of the Georgia Compact of 1802, signed by Thomas Jefferson, which stated that all Indian tribes be removed from Georgia by the federal government in return for Georgia giving up the territory that was to become MS and AL.

Why did Jackson defy the court order? I believe it was put to him point blank, probably in some back room meeting where representatives of all who wanted Cherokee land put it to him, that if Jackson did not order the removal, they would raid the Cherokee and kill them all, and take the land anyway. So when Jackson disobeyed the court, this gave the Cherokee 3 years to voluntarily leave without being attacked. The 17K Cherokee were paid the equivalent of 100K per head in today's money, and given a great expanse of land to settle in Oklahoma. The botched removal under the supervision of Winfield Scott, occurred after Jackson left office, and the weather was to blame for much of the suffering. Jackson saved the Cherokee from extermination, he was a good president and deserves to be on the $20 bill.
This has always been what I understood about Jackson in the more learned treatises
that I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Oh yeah, blame the weather. Yep, that's what killed them because White supremacy values all human life above all else and would never oppress, commit genocide, or murder innocent people, right? It was an act of God that did it,right,? So in other words you're blaming God?
Good grief.......

Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
For fans of the 2nd Amendment Tubman is a perfect choice. A individual who used her right to bear arms to free fellow Americans.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:27 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Andrew Jackson was a grade A ahole. I'm fine with it being changed.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:59 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Here's an idea. Why ,if we're so bored with the pictures on our money, can't we use guys like Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett, Alvin York, et al? Hell, I'd sign off on Bass Reeves, or Bill Pickett. An American icon need not be a President.

In all honesty though, just leave it be. The shear cost of these changes is enough to make huge differences in other areas. Do we really need to be spending time and resources worrying about who's picture is on what?
Oh!! Bass Reeves. Yes, please.
I have to say, I have no issue with it being Harriet Tubman, though. And I'm a Trump supporter. She's better than Betsy Ross, and I'm really happy they didn't choose Rosa Parks.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,234,149 times
This is among the most ridiculous threads on CD of 2016.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,083 times
I also think MLK would be a better choice, I guess that makes me a sexist.... It seems like there are far more qualified dead people to put on the $20 and Tubman is getting the nod only because she was a black woman which is racist and sexist in itself.... I don't really care what my money looks like as long as I can spend it just the same. Make it pink for all I care.

Of all the things liberals complain about, I do wonder why there isn't a bigger movement to remove the "In god We Trust" slogan from all money. It's pretty cheesy and outdated for 2016 and no one really trusts or even believes in him anymore. Not too mention it's teetering the line between the separation of church and state.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Isn't Andrew Jackson considered the founder of the Democratic Party?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Harriet Tubman, or General Tubman as she was called by John Brown, got 3 black people killed at Harpers Ferry WV in 1859. She planned the raid, and the first person of six to be killed was a black man whom worked as a baggage handler on a train, they also killed 2 slaves in the town of Harpers Ferry, as well as the mayor and two other people. Half the people they killed in the raid were black. She was a terrorist, and yes she freed many slaves but what reasoning should we use for putting her on the 20?

69 freed and only 3 murdered ?
I see. And you're quite disturbed about all the blacks killed in that raid, huh?

BTW...which side do you agree with in the Civil War?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
^^^^^^
If he is going to argue deaths. Andrew Jackson killed someone in a duel, twice! He also caused the Trail of Tears and was a racist. Not the Thomas Jefferson, George Washington brand of racism, but a straight up actual bona-fide racist. I mean even Lincoln was a racist but AJ, was one of the worst ones, and again the Trail of Tears. But while AJ has a lot of bad on him, he also has a lot of good and is famous for the Battle of New Orleans among other things (yes they still teach History in HS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies