Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I wish. Today's Democrat Party is anti-American to the core.
Agreed. The party needs a good reset button, and need to be a party of real unity, not dividing and pretending they're uniting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The Democrats. Young morons are prone to get jobs and grow up. Then they become Republicans, especially when they realize Democrats are there for one reason - to pick their pockets.

Pick their pockets? Trump and his cabinet are in the one percent. They have no clue about the middle class or working poor. Don't call anyone morons. You voted for someone who has no interest in our country. His companies around the world will benefit greatly

Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Pick their pockets? Trump and his cabinet are in the one percent. They have no clue about the middle class or working poor. Don't call anyone morons. You voted for someone who has no interest in our country. His companies around the world will benefit greatly
I never voted for Obama, or any other Democrat pig.

You think Obama cared about the working class? Now that's funny.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would vote for President Obama tomorrow and Republicans would hate him again tomorrow. I also think if President Obama became a Republican tomorrow, Republicans would be thrilled beyond measure. I am absolutely certain Republicans would never elect an African American. Elect is the operative word here. Disagreement is expected but my opinion won't change until I see it and I'm certain I won't see it.

Yes, Democrats felt they owed Hillary, that it was a divisive 2008 primary and she received little competition in 2016. The debt is paid. Was she treated fairly? I don't think so but I think she could have worked harder for it and perhaps her age was a factor.

I am absolutely no fan of Trump to put it mildly and his supporters believed some outrageous promises that I don't see happening but that's not my problem. What this election exposed very clearly was we have an economic divide where the blue half is doing much better financially than the red half. I honestly don't see how this moves forward because they have absolutely positively nothing in common. Democrats are attacked as either being poor or elitist because they are educated. Republicans are putting their chips on the return of coal and manufacturing jobs.
This is not true which is why Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin went (R).

Quote:
The healthcare plan was a Republican plan. It was a Republican plan that is working in Massachusetts now, implemented by Mitt Romney. Massachusetts has something like 95% coverage now. The only positive of a Republican health care plan is they can't complain about it. Health care, like most programs will redistribute wealth. If you can create insurance where only the costs of each specific illness are only paid by the person affected, I would love to see it. But that is not how insurance works. Schools receive funding from property taxes even when the owners don't have children.

After seeing evangelicals supporting Trump, religion appears to be nothing more than a political tool to oppose those you disagree with. I do not believe Republicans have any interest in anything but a one party system.
How is this different than the "anti war" left supporting Obama?

Old 12-17-2016, 05:58 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I doubt the Democrat Party will die off but they will be irrelevant for the next 16 years. They have always been the antethesis to Western democracy.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:04 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Seacove, you are correct about a debt that is now paid. Unfortunately, Democrats paid a very big price to pay the debt to an unworthy Clinton at a time when they needed some real leadership to step forward. If Biden had run, I believe he would be president now, and I do not think Trump would have been nominated. No doubt Trump is going to have some problems throughout his presidency with regard to conflicts of interest and other matters, but it's not insurmountable. Democrats ran a horribly divisive, racist, campaign and they are continuing their hatred in an unbelievable way (threatening electors with guns in mouths for example), and I think even you have to admit that. Having said that, some of what you post below is just wrong, or does not include all the information.

For example, Romneycare. You must not be aware that even Romney did not envision Romneycare in its current state, which apparently has failed or is failing. It's core was praised by both Democrats and Republicans. Romney did not want the employer mandate, to name one, but his veto was overruled by the Democrat legislature. They fought on the bill for months and it almost didn't pass. At the time the highest premium was about $200 a month. With Obamacare, it can be $1400 a month. MA's biggest health insurers were non-profit, and Aetna and Cigna had their headquarters based in Massachusetts. Even with that, it was doomed to fail, which it has or is. Obamacare is just not sustainable.

Since the richest states are blue, why do the poor stay in red states. No one denies that blue states such as California and New York are richer with trade and education. You don't find 5 star universities in the south--well, possibly except for the Gators (University of Florida, but I won't digress into football). Here's an article that explains it best: the cost of living for the poor is too high in the blue states and income equality is not as important when it comes to consumption:

Forbes Welcome

I think most Republicans believe that if Trump can create an environment that is more business friendly, jobs will be created--no matter the sector--not just coal and manufacturing. My humble opinion only. People in IT are just hopeful they won't be replaced by H1B visa workers as 250 Disney employees have been.

If immigration can be controlled, if jobs for American citizens can be created through various means, if American citizens can be put first, the Trump presidency will be greatly successful.

There is a reason Democrats have lost over 900 state and federal seats over the last eight years. And it's not because people are racist or uneducated or are deplorable as Democrats as a whole (not singling you out) so love to claim. It's not because Republicans want a one party system or religion is a tool. American citizens just want someone to consider their needs. Even Van Jones saw it, heard it. Not everything is about politics--it's about the needs of American citizens of all races, creed, color, which, for some reason, Democrats have lost sight of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would vote for President Obama tomorrow and Republicans would hate him again tomorrow. I also think if President Obama became a Republican tomorrow, Republicans would be thrilled beyond measure. I am absolutely certain Republicans would never elect an African American. Elect is the operative word here. Disagreement is expected but my opinion won't change until I see it and I'm certain I won't see it.

Yes, Democrats felt they owed Hillary, that it was a divisive 2008 primary and she received little competition in 2016. The debt is paid. Was she treated fairly? I don't think so but I think she could have worked harder for it and perhaps her age was a factor.

I am absolutely no fan of Trump to put it mildly and his supporters believed some outrageous promises that I don't see happening but that's not my problem. What this election exposed very clearly was we have an economic divide where the blue half is doing much better financially than the red half. I honestly don't see how this moves forward because they have absolutely positively nothing in common. Democrats are attacked as either being poor or elitist because they are educated. Republicans are putting their chips on the return of coal and manufacturing jobs.

The healthcare plan was a Republican plan. It was a Republican plan that is working in Massachusetts now, implemented by Mitt Romney. Massachusetts has something like 95% coverage now. The only positive of a Republican health care plan is they can't complain about it. Health care, like most programs will redistribute wealth. If you can create insurance where only the costs of each specific illness are only paid by the person affected, I would love to see it. But that is not how insurance works. Schools receive funding from property taxes even when the owners don't have children.

After seeing evangelicals supporting Trump, religion appears to be nothing more than a political tool to oppose those you disagree with. I do not believe Republicans have any interest in anything but a one party system.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Digging the hole even deeper.

Keith Ellison Abandons Sanders Supporters to Back Wealthy Donor

Keith Ellison Abandons Sanders Supporters to Back Wealthy Donor | Observer

You can't beat the Republicans by being the Republicans.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:33 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Seacove, you are correct about a debt that is now paid. Unfortunately, Democrats paid a very big price to pay the debt to an unworthy Clinton at a time when they needed some real leadership to step forward. If Biden had run, I believe he would be president now, and I do not think Trump would have been nominated. No doubt Trump is going to have some problems throughout his presidency with regard to conflicts of interest and other matters, but it's not insurmountable. Democrats ran a horribly divisive, racist, campaign and they are continuing their hatred in an unbelievable way (threatening electors with guns in mouths for example), and I think even you have to admit that. Having said that, some of what you post below is just wrong, or does not include all the information.

For example, Romneycare. You must not be aware that even Romney did not envision Romneycare in its current state, which apparently has failed or is failing. It's core was praised by both Democrats and Republicans. Romney did not want the employer mandate, to name one, but his veto was overruled by the Democrat legislature. They fought on the bill for months and it almost didn't pass. At the time the highest premium was about $200 a month. With Obamacare, it can be $1400 a month. MA's biggest health insurers were non-profit, and Aetna and Cigna had their headquarters based in Massachusetts. Even with that, it was doomed to fail, which it has or is. Obamacare is just not sustainable.

Since the richest states are blue, why do the poor stay in red states. No one denies that blue states such as California and New York are richer with trade and education. You don't find 5 star universities in the south--well, possibly except for the Gators (University of Florida, but I won't digress into football). Here's an article that explains it best: the cost of living for the poor is too high in the blue states and income equality is not as important when it comes to consumption:

Forbes Welcome

I think most Republicans believe that if Trump can create an environment that is more business friendly, jobs will be created--no matter the sector--not just coal and manufacturing. My humble opinion only. People in IT are just hopeful they won't be replaced by H1B visa workers as 250 Disney employees have been.

If immigration can be controlled, if jobs for American citizens can be created through various means, if American citizens can be put first, the Trump presidency will be greatly successful.

There is a reason Democrats have lost over 900 state and federal seats over the last eight years. And it's not because people are racist or uneducated or are deplorable as Democrats as a whole (not singling you out) so love to claim. It's not because Republicans want a one party system or religion is a tool. American citizens just want someone to consider their needs. Even Van Jones saw it, heard it. Not everything is about politics--it's about the needs of American citizens of all races, creed, color, which, for some reason, Democrats have lost sight of.
I lived in Massachusetts when Romney was governor. Romney and Newt Gingrich were on every Sunday program throughout 2006 promoting Romneycare as the Republican answer to health coverage and the mandate as personal responsibility. I watched it, I lived it. I don't see Massachusetts looking to get rid of it now and I would be fine with states having the option to implement Obamacare state by state. States should also have the option to implement a waiting period of five or ten years so those who live in states that chose not to have health coverage can't run to another state that has it when they get sick.

Clearly the Rust Belt and Appalachia are hurting for jobs and drug addiction has taken a terrible toll. Apparently some of the strongest Trump areas are where opiate addiction has devastated the communities and Trump was willing to talk about that. Now, he blamed it all on Mexico, ignoring how it started with Oxycontin, but I'm sure those people felt he was speaking to them.

But the other thing that these - their answers would often come back with were answers about heroin. One of the great overlooked issues of this campaign is the devastation that opiate addiction is wreaking in a lot of these communities. And Donald Trump was very effective at speaking to that and talking about the Mexican suppliers of heroin.
Feeling Left Behind, White Working-Class Voters Turned Out For Trump : NPR

The jobs aspect is not going to be easy though. The West and Northeast have low unemployment, largely due to industries such as tech. In Seattle, for example, the unemployment rate is around 4%, but you're right, the cost of living is much higher, education requirements are higher and because there are more people trying to buy houses than houses to buy, housing costs are skyrocketing. The answer is not for the poor to move to an expensive state. People in Ohio are fighting over lightbulb manufacturing jobs that are going to Mexico. You have a country where the more populous areas are angry because they feel they pay more federal taxes but their votes count for less (the popular vote) and you have less populous areas that feel they are fighting for scraps because the companies are all moving to Mexico.

At the same time, those rural areas aren't showing an interest in getting more education, in fact they seem to demonize it, calling the educated elitists. Again, a very divided country where they have almost nothing in common. I cannot dispute that Joe Biden would have been better, but I'm an unabashed Joe Biden fan.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Romney did not want the employer mandate, to name one, but his veto was overruled by the Democrat legislature. They fought on the bill for months and it almost didn't pass. At the time the highest premium was about $200 a month.
If what you say is true, then it's also clear that he changed his mind in 2012:

"If you don't want to buy insurance, then you have to help pay for the cost of the state picking up your bill, because under federal law if someone doesn't have insurance, then we have to care for them in the hospitals, give them free care," said Romney. "So we said, no more, no more free riders. We are insisting on personal responsibility. Either get the insurance or help pay for your care."
Romney's Unlikely And Persuasive Defense Of The 'Individual Mandate' : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
They are already at their weakest point since the 1920s and they have a unfavorable map in 2018. With them putting Pelosi back, saying "nothing needs to change, blaming everything on Russia, unable to choose whether they want limousine liberals like Pelosi, Reid, or Clinton or far left lunatics like Elizabeth Warren and Keith Ellison and ignoring or shaming moderate, middle of the road democrats, and continuing to double down on identity politics and supporting radical movements like Black Lives Matter, Maybe this party can die off. It will be nothing but a good thing.

Another media smear campaign, the Democratic party is a vibrant party! You DON'T win the popular VOTE if you are lackluster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies