Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 05:28 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,856 times

Advertisements

If so, how? Provide some examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Yes, and the reasons are right in front of your face, if you will only put your biases aside.

2008, massive layoffs and people on unemployment. 2016, companies are having trouble hiring enough new employees. "Now Hiring" signs are everywhere I look. We try to hire more people and only one or two apply. My own Son can not find a maintenance man because everyone has jobs already, and he pays a good salary with benefits.

2008, thousands and thousands of families were losing their homes, so many that whole neighborhoods were boarded up with foreclosure signs on them. 2016, many of those homes are now resold and new construction is booming.

In 2008 we were one of the very few shops to remain open in our complex.......all of our neighbors had folded up and quit. We stayed, but it was like a ghost town there. Now, there are no vacancies and every business by us is expanding.

But let's call a spade a spade, Fordtrucks, you Trump supporters have a very different view and opinion. The likelihood of you ever giving Obama any credit for any of that is slim to none, and slim is out of town. However, my eyes and my finances tell me the truth, and I thank him for everything he did to turn this craphole of an economy Bush left us with around.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:04 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times
Wow...Talk about out of touch

Seems like some people didn't listen to the American people

Because ONE feels they are doing OK does not translate to the world

Barry created debt and enrichened his supporters..Divided the country..

Will we survive...Man..It's going to be an uphill struggle

Maybe not so hard if you're still living in mommies basement...Along with many other millennials..Working part-time sucking up social welfare and weed

Old 12-27-2016, 06:14 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Wow...Talk about out of touch

Seems like some people didn't listen to the American people

Because ONE feels they are doing OK does not translate to the world

Barry created debt and enrichened his supporters..Divided the country..

Will we survive...Man..It's going to be an uphill struggle

Maybe not so hard if you're still living in mommies basement...Along with many other millennials..Working part-time sucking up social welfare and weed

Sorry your world is so bleak . Evidently, 50 % of the country does not agree with you, based on his current popularity ratings. But some people will just never be happy regardless, I guess. Maybe if you find a good job things will look better to you.....that is what the rest of us are doing.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Sorry your world is so bleak . Evidently, 50 % of the country does not agree with you, based on his current popularity ratings. But some people will just never be happy regardless, I guess. Maybe if you find a good job things will look better to you.....that is what the rest of us are doing.
50%? Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Old 12-27-2016, 06:42 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
For himself

Old 12-27-2016, 06:52 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Yes, and the reasons are right in front of your face, if you will only put your biases aside.

2008, massive layoffs and people on unemployment. 2016, companies are having trouble hiring enough new employees. "Now Hiring" signs are everywhere I look. We try to hire more people and only one or two apply. My own Son can not find a maintenance man because everyone has jobs already, and he pays a good salary with benefits.

2008, thousands and thousands of families were losing their homes, so many that whole neighborhoods were boarded up with foreclosure signs on them. 2016, many of those homes are now resold and new construction is booming.

In 2008 we were one of the very few shops to remain open in our complex.......all of our neighbors had folded up and quit. We stayed, but it was like a ghost town there. Now, there are no vacancies and every business by us is expanding.

But let's call a spade a spade, Fordtrucks, you Trump supporters have a very different view and opinion. The likelihood of you ever giving Obama any credit for any of that is slim to none, and slim is out of town. However, my eyes and my finances tell me the truth, and I thank him for everything he did to turn this craphole of an economy Bush left us with around.
How is it that Trump supporters don't see the same thing thing that others do. Do they live in communities still dotted with foreclosures?

There are no end of posts on this forum scoffing about how all the new jobs are part-time, low-paying so they don't really count.

One of our Republican neighbors was complaining because he worked at the Jiffy Lube and he had always counted on a good union job like his father had.

I pointed out that we stood by while the Republicans (go Reagan!) gutted the unions and turned a blind eye to employment of undocumented workers.

I also pointed out that it Trump and other wealthy types that imported Chinese steel, outsourced production, and hired foreign workers for their resorts and factories.

He just shrugged. It was good business, who could blame them. But the Democrats should have kept them from doing this.

Hard to argue with such "logic."

Old 12-27-2016, 06:55 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
You are looking at the world through a different set of lens than those that voted Trump. Not only haven't they enjoyed your economic recovery, some of the current administration's policies made it even more unlikely they ever will. I just love when my fellow teachers say illegal immigration doesn't have an economic impact. No, not for them, matter of fact, it increases job security because it brings more children, many who will need extra educational services. What they aren't choosing to see is Little Johnny's dad can no longer earn an extra $200/week helping Farmer Dan on his days off because the illegal immigrant will do the exact same job for $75. And while having a cleaner world is good, creating regulations that shut the doors of the various main employers in entire regions of Kentucky and West Virginia has destroyed the economy of those two states and it will take decades before eith recovers. It is part of the reason Pennsylvania went red. The same was true for the western part of Virginia and Clinton only won the state because of the suburbs of DC in Northern Virginia. What you aren't acknowledging is despite your area recovering, there still are no jobs, let alone good ones, for these people to get.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:04 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You are looking at the world through a different set of lens than those that voted Trump. Not only haven't they enjoyed your economic recovery, some of the current administration's policies made it even more unlikely they ever will. I just love when my fellow teachers say illegal immigration doesn't have an economic impact. No, not for them, matter of fact, it increases job security because it brings more children, many who will need extra educational services. What they aren't choosing to see is Little Johnny's dad can no longer earn an extra $200/week helping Farmer Dan on his days off because the illegal immigrant will do the exact same job for $75. And while having a cleaner world is good, creating regulations that shut the doors of the various main employers in entire regions of Kentucky and West Virginia has destroyed the economy of those two states and it will take decades before eith recovers. It is part of the reason Pennsylvania went red. The same was true for the western part of Virginia and Clinton only won the state because of the suburbs of DC in Northern Virginia. What you aren't acknowledging is despite your area recovering, there still are no jobs, let alone good ones, for these people to get.
Thanks for explaining this. Appreciate it.

Can you explain why people don't move to where the jobs are any more? Why they stay in a depressed area where they have no future?

The history of our nation is built on people moving to where they can be more prosperous. Why the change?

Do they really want polluted rivers? Does West Virginia really want to see all their gorgeous mountain tops dumped into the valleys by mining operations?

I'm having a difficult time making sense of this.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:06 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Absolutely, in 2008 my city was in shambles and seemingly 1/2 abandoned due to the Real Estate crisis. Things are chugging along just fine now.

Could it be better? Absolutely, but that wasn't your question. Really think about the hole Bush put is into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies