Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't know how losing 600 000 jobs per month could be as bad as gaining 300 000. People were losing their houses left and right. The bottom of the recession was hopeless and it simply does not compare to today's economy where there are jobs for those who want them. If there is a section of Americans who are doing as bad today, as then, it's because they are not willing to help themselves. The opportunities are out there.

Skyrocketing rents. Gentrification, displacement, homelessness. 11 million renters now spend at least half their income on shelter. Getting worse, not better. Higher minimum wage will not magically create more housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Spoken like a dyed in the wool Republican. This is what Obama has done to the (D) party.
I am neither "R" or "D", I just happen to know there are plenty of jobs for those who want them, with some sectors even facing labor shortages. Someone will always be on the bottom, and it's never a good place to be, but if you want to work your way up, its a heck of a lot easier today than in 2009.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:39 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
He's raised mine and everyone else I know. But I've done my part as well, by continuing with education and moving to an area that has a lot of employment. If you choose to live with there are no jobs, and refuse to learn any new skills, there is a good chance your standard of living will not change or will decrease.

And I'll take the word of a Nobel Laureate in Economics over the opinion of anonymous users on social media regarding the economy.

"...Donald J. Trump has the good fortune of taking office as the economy is finally recovering from the 2008 crisis. For Democrats, the bad news is that just as Barack Obama got tarred by the struggling economy that he inherited from George W. Bush, Trump will get credit for the good economy that he inherits from Obama—growth in the last quarter of 3.5 percent, unemployment of 4.6 percent (a level not seen for nine years), and 16 million jobs added since the recovery began...

The president-elect seems to believe that he can make the economy grow at 4 percent annually, as promised, while at the same time massively bringing down the trade and fiscal deficits, if not turning them into surpluses. But the laws of economics don’t bend to political rhetoric, and there are some surprises in store for the new president..."

A Nobel Laureate Explains How Trump Could Nuke the Economy | Vanity Fair

Old 12-27-2016, 07:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
I am neither "R" or "D", I just happen to know there are plenty of jobs for those who want them, with some sectors even facing labor shortages. Someone will always be on the bottom, and it's never a good place to be, but if you want to work your way up, its a heck of a lot easier today than in 2009.
That is setting the bar incredibly low.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:40 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That is setting the bar incredibly low.
But it's the question, is the economy better today than the "arbitrary" date.

Yes, could it be even better? 100% but that's not the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He's raised mine and everyone else I know. But I've done my part as well, by continuing with education and moving to an area that has a lot of employment. If you choose to live with there are no jobs, and refuse to learn any new skills, there is a good chance your standard of living will not change or will decrease.

And I'll take the word of a Nobel Laureate in Economics over anonymous users on social media regarding the economy.

"...Donald J. Trump has the good fortune of taking office as the economy is finally recovering from the 2008 crisis. For Democrats, the bad news is that just as Barack Obama got tarred by the struggling economy that he inherited from George W. Bush, Trump will get credit for the good economy that he inherits from Obama—growth in the last quarter of 3.5 percent, unemployment of 4.6 percent (a level not seen for nine years), and 16 million jobs added since the recovery began...

The president-elect seems to believe that he can make the economy grow at 4 percent annually, as promised, while at the same time massively bringing down the trade and fiscal deficits, if not turning them into surpluses. But the laws of economics don’t bend to political rhetoric, and there are some surprises in store for the new president..."

A Nobel Laureate Explains How Trump Could Nuke the Economy | Vanity Fair
The poor can not afford to take on the risk of a 5 or 6 figure education.

Quote:

$10/hr jobs don't cover the rent in many places.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

Yes, he has raised it for the rich. No one is arguing otherwise.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

Depends on what the meaning of "better" is.

If your income is up 10% and your rent is up 50% is YOUR economy better?

Old 12-27-2016, 07:45 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Default There are beliefs then there are facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
If so, how? Provide some examples.
Obama issued an executive order in 2016 that would raise the dollar threshold to 47K where an individual would be eligible for OT pay. This was struck down in Texas by a Republican judge.

Obama proposed infrastructure initiatives that would build a twenty first century transportation system. This was aimed at the uneducated and came from page 135 of Foreign Affairs magazine July/August 2016.

Obama also proposed automatic extensions to unemployment during recessions. Another initiative proposed by Obama was to help people financially injured by a reduction in their hours. Lastly another was financial help proposed to people who were forced into a lower standard of living by a lack of jobs in their fields.

If you are really curious about these initiatives in detail see pages 135 through 138 of Foreign Affairs July/August 2016.

The Republicans always blew smoke in your face when it came to the down side of globalization. That's why the Obama initiatives never made it into law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies