Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Lets talk about legal and illegal aliens for a minute. People keep saying "They are taking our jobs", but the reality is AMERICANS WON'T DO THE JOBS THESE PEOPLE TAKE ! Just try to get some American out in the fields, picking vegetables all day in the hot sun, or doing lawn landscape work, or roofing on a hot tar roof in 100 degree sun.
Both of my sons have done landscape and roofing work. People will do this kind of work. What they will not do is do it for $5.00 an hour.

Quote:
Hell, we can't even find people to work in our air conditioned store ! There are a whole lot of jobs that we are too lazy to take, but they will gladly take them, and show up every day and work hard. I have worked side by side with Mexicans, some legal , some not, and they keep their noses to the grindstone and never complain.

I also work side by side with a lot of people from 16 to 50-ish, and most of them are so damn glued to their cell phones that they give about 4 hours work in an 8 hour day. If we have lost jobs to aliens, it is our own lazy fault. People talk a good game.........."Oh, I can't find a job", but the reality is, jobs are out there, but we are too good to take them or appreciate them when we get one.
A generalization based on generalizations. All of those things are done around here and there are very few Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Both of my sons have done landscape and roofing work. People will do this kind of work. What they will not do is do it for $5.00 an hour.

A generalization based on generalizations. All of those things are done around here and there are very few Hispanics.
Allow me to ask, why then do you persist in blaming the illegal immigrants themselves for what a private business refuses to do?

Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Allow me to ask, why then do you persist in blaming the illegal immigrants themselves for what a private business refuses to do?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:33 PM

421 posts, read 205,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
People will do this kind of work. What they will not do is do it for $5.00 an hour.
Now this is one area where i actually see eye-to-eye with liberals

Some of these employers complain about "a lack of talent" or "a lack of good people" in America. But when you dig deeper and learn more about their job listing/job opening you find out they only want to pay like $10/hour

You want good, reliable people with skills to match?? OFFER BETTER PAY to attract those types of people

This is especially true in the tech/IT world, where picky employers will rattle off this huge "laundry list" of requirements, but then only offer $10-$15/hour peanuts-level money for compensation.

This kind of thing of expecting "the perfect employee", but only offering $10/hour is RAMPANT on Craigslist for example

Old 12-27-2016, 05:34 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Lets talk about legal and illegal aliens for a minute. People keep saying "They are taking our jobs", but the reality is AMERICANS WON'T DO THE JOBS THESE PEOPLE TAKE ! Just try to get some American out in the fields, picking vegetables all day in the hot sun, or doing lawn landscape work, or roofing on a hot tar roof in 100 degree sun.

Hell, we can't even find people to work in our air conditioned store ! There are a whole lot of jobs that we are too lazy to take, but they will gladly take them, and show up every day and work hard. I have worked side by side with Mexicans, some legal , some not, and they keep their noses to the grindstone and never complain.

I also work side by side with a lot of people from 16 to 50-ish, and most of them are so damn glued to their cell phones that they give about 4 hours work in an 8 hour day. If we have lost jobs to aliens, it is our own lazy fault. People talk a good game.........."Oh, I can't find a job", but the reality is, jobs are out there, but we are too good to take them or appreciate them when we get one.
Friends of our sold their auto body shop two years ago. Even during the depression, they just could not get decent help. They'd advertise for people with auto body experience and get a pile of resumes from those who had no experience but were willing to learn if he'd train them.

He'd narrow it down to about 10. Several would not show up for the interview. They wouldn't phone, reschedule, nothing. They just wouldn't show up.

Of those six or seven that showed up for the interview, at least a couple just wanted him to sign off on their unemployment benefits form. Couple more wouldn't be able to pass the drug screen and he'd hire the final two.

One wouldn't show up for the first day of work. He'd get a text about troubles. Sometimes they would eventually show, sometimes not.

Of the one left, the guy would be eager enough, but late for work, show up hungover or maybe even still drunk, fuss around on his cell phone on and off for a few weeks.

Then one day he would ask for his pay because he and his girlfriend were moving to Montana or some such deal.

He was working long hours to make up for not being able to find any decent help so he finally threw in the towel and sold the place.

Brother worked in a factory for a while a made some decent money. He said the younger guys were on they cell phones constantly and often missed Mondays. So the company went to 4/10s so that folks could have a three day weekend. It helped, but didn't solve the problem.

I have a niece who works as a mid level medical provider. Her colleagues phone in sick all the time. All the time. Last week, one phoned in saying she had family issues. Later in the day, she posted pictures of herself shopping on FB.

Hard not to wonder if all those folks living at home who can't seem to find decent jobs are behaving like the above.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Pay a decent wage,probably. Companies love to hire people at minimum wages and keep them there as long as they can.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Pay a decent wage,probably. Companies love to hire people at minimum wages and keep them there as long as they can.
Perhaps but it's not something I ever blamed on the illegals.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:49 PM

421 posts, read 205,151 times
Quote:
The new trend/employer strategy under Obama has been to use low-wage "temporary" contract workers (so as to avoid paying health benefits or unemployment claims), using them for 6-9 months, laying them off, and then rinse/repeating the process with a fresh batch of temp workers.

The whole economy has just been a giant mess under Obama

I'll be fair, I can "give" Obama 2009 and 2010 since the 08' crash was pretty bad, but the rest is all on him. The current state of the economy in 2016 A.D. is most CERTAINLY on him and no one else (sorry Bush-blamers).

Old 12-27-2016, 06:11 PM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
To my liberal friends (idiots if you disagree), in 2006 the country elected a Democrat controlled House and Congress and the recession (to the degree caused by government) is 67% owned by Democrats, 33% to Bush. The disaster of 2009-2010 continued while we had Democrats controlling the House, Senate and Presidency, that's all on the Democrats. The recovery from 2011 till now occurred with Republicans controlling the House and then both House and Senate, therefore, to the extent that recovery was due to government activity, it was mostly due to the Republican Congress.

If you disagree with the above you're a Democrat hack or idiot or both.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:16 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To my liberal friends (idiots if you disagree), in 2006 the country elected a Democrat controlled House and Congress and the recession (to the degree caused by government) is 67% owned by Democrats, 33% to Bush. The disaster of 2009-2010 continued while we had Democrats controlling the House, Senate and Presidency, that's all on the Democrats. The recovery from 2011 till now occurred with Republicans controlling the House and then both House and Senate, therefore, to the extent that recovery was due to government activity, it was mostly due to the Republican Congress.

If you disagree with the above you're a Democrat hack or idiot or both.
Recessions don't work that way.

Money, actually, does not work that way.

It's cute that you think responsibility can be so neatly and simply assigned. You might even say that out loud, in public, in front of people you work with.

We are not friends. You can call me an idiot if you please; I'm not the one trying to apportion long-term economic trends to the number of party members in a Congressional session.

Don't let me stop you. California was in a drought in the same period; can you please tell us what percentage of global environmental trends each party is responsible for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies