Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 PM

638 posts, read 310,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Both parties are pro-cheap-labor. Both parties are screwing the lower and middle classes with outsourcing and illegal immigration.

The Democrats and Republicans only pretend to compete against each other. Elections are just a distraction.

Wake up.
Exactly right. That's why I voted for Trump.

I love when the right says "Trump is not a true conservative."

God I hope so. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 10:23 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bias? It's a bias to note that a president is responsible for what happens during their administration?

The "buck stops here" is an out dated concept?
So then Obama owns all of the responsibility for making more debt than the 43 Presidents before him combined...ok.

I guess I partially agree with you that the President didn't have the ability to sell and compromise with the opposing party to get things done. In that regard, Obama failed miserably as he made no serious effort to convince or compromise much with Republicans to get any of his agenda approved. That Presidents Bush & Obama failed to convince and compromise effectively with the Republican Congress in Obama's case and Dem Congress with Bush means both are equal failures, since the buck stops there.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Raising minimum wage and adding laws that help workers over employers would help the standard of living but Democrats refuse to reduce immigration for a couple decades. Economy would be best ever had immigration mostly stopped in 2000. Population growth due to immigration massively outpaced job growth.

I think the Left (Democrats) are expecting that mass illegal immigration will force the country further left, because MORE/LARGER government programs are a "fair" response to compensate the working class for the economic devastation imposed on them by illegal immigration. e.g. massive illegal immigration = necessarily skyrocketing rents --> requires massive expansion of rent assistance to the working class PLUS $15/hr minimum wage.

Unfortunately, raising minimum wage will never solve the intractable shortage of housing affordable at below-median incomes, so every time the minimum wage is increased, protesters will be back for more.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Middle class incomes had their fastest growth on record last year

BTW, belief has nothing to do with math & science. You're mistaking it for religion.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:49 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Absolutely, in 2008 my city was in shambles and seemingly 1/2 abandoned due to the Real Estate crisis. Things are chugging along just fine now.

Could it be better? Absolutely, but that wasn't your question. Really think about the hole Bush put is into.
What policies of Bush "put us in a hole?"

Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You are looking at the world through a different set of lens than those that voted Trump. Not only haven't they enjoyed your economic recovery, some of the current administration's policies made it even more unlikely they ever will. I just love when my fellow teachers say illegal immigration doesn't have an economic impact. No, not for them, matter of fact, it increases job security because it brings more children, many who will need extra educational services. What they aren't choosing to see is Little Johnny's dad can no longer earn an extra $200/week helping Farmer Dan on his days off because the illegal immigrant will do the exact same job for $75. And while having a cleaner world is good, creating regulations that shut the doors of the various main employers in entire regions of Kentucky and West Virginia has destroyed the economy of those two states and it will take decades before recovers. It is part of the reason Pennsylvania went red.
Neither of the 2 things you spoke of are things liberals/progressives/Democrats created, and I think that is the crux of the problem here.

It would be by definition more regulation to force farmers to e-verify (I-9) farm hands. And it wasnt some Democratic policy that allowed them in anyways.

Both Clinton and Obama added boarder patrol agents, and like it or not, creating a path to citizenship would indeed eliminate everything you are talking about.

As for coal, That again isnt something Democrats created. Coal mining is dangerous , and expensive in and of itself.

Natural gas, Hydro, geothermal, and even wind energy are cheaper than Coal is. Coal is simply being priced out of the market, It isnt regulations that are hurting it so much as it is competition.

Quote:
The same was true for the western part of Virginia and Clinton only won the state because of the suburbs of DC in Northern Virginia.
Clinton won Virginia by 5 points, even winning (districts)or outperforming Democrats down ballot in that state, her margin of victory and number of votes exceeding Obama in 2012. Could it have been Tim Kaine who boosted her, maybe, but based on polls, she did much better in Virginia comparatively.

Virginia seems to be a bad example of the argument you want to make. At best, it is just a Red vs Blue issue more than anything else there.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:47 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
$10/hr jobs don't cover the rent in many places.
Renting is more expensive than home ownership.

I was making 10.10 and paying a mortgage.

Everyone cant do that, but some can and just arent willing to take the leap.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Renting is more expensive than home ownership.

I was making 10.10 and paying a mortgage.

Everyone cant do that, but some can and just arent willing to take the leap.

That is the price of rent serfdom. MOST $10/hr earners cannot buy a home in this country unless they have a partner to share the obligation. In the South, ownership is more affordable. Where I live, an annual income of ~$70,000 is required to qualify for a mortgage to buy the median-priced home.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:24 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Middle class incomes had their fastest growth on record last year

BTW, belief has nothing to do with math & science. You're mistaking it for religion.
Then why are you quoting a WaPo opinion article, as a source? They are notorious for supporting the status quo.

But even on their own article, if you look at the source they cite, real medium incomes are no better than they were 21 years ago, and those figures are NOT inflation adjusted.

In short, the Obama economy has been a disaster for workers. Now there is some math & science for you.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
So then Obama owns all of the responsibility for making more debt than the 43 Presidents before him combined...ok.
This is such an ignorant, knee jerk response and spoken like a died in the wool extreme partisan. Get over it.

Quote:
I guess I partially agree with you that the President didn't have the ability to sell and compromise with the opposing party to get things done.
I NEVER said that.

Quote:
In that regard, Obama failed miserably as he made no serious effort to convince or compromise much with Republicans to get any of his agenda approved. That Presidents Bush & Obama failed to convince and compromise effectively with the Republican Congress in Obama's case and Dem Congress with Bush means both are equal failures, since the buck stops there.
And in the end you basically agree with me but still had to argue something nonsensical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies