Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times

Advertisements

The economy has consistently added thousands of jobs over the past 3 years. Whether folks have the skills, education, motivation, or willingness to obtain and keep those jobs is another matter. So tired of hearing the "working class" blame the "elites" for their lack of success. Its everybody's fault but their own. But like those steel workers who have sat on their asses for 25 years waiting for those jobs to come back, we have masses believing Trump will bring back jobs that pay a living wage that require minimal skills or education. When they don't materialize, it won't be Trump or the Republican Congress they blame. It will be the "elites", never themselves. Because it's never their own fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 07:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
The economy has consistently added thousands of jobs over the past 3 years. Whether folks have the skills, education, motivation, or willingness to obtain and keep those jobs is another matter.
Where are these jobs? I've asked this question a few times. I never get a direct answer.

Quote:
So tired of hearing the "working class" blame the "elites" for their lack of success. Its everybody's fault but their own. But like those steel workers who have sat on their asses for 25 years waiting for those jobs to come back, we have masses believing Trump will bring back jobs that pay a living wage that require minimal skills or education. When they don't materialize, it won't be Trump or the Republican Congress they blame. It will be the "elites", never themselves. Because it's never their own fault.
Candidate Obama ran on the very same thing. I completely supported his positions as Candidate Obama. He completely forgot all about those promises as President Obama.

I have no idea if Trump will pursue his promises or not but there are indeed many things we can and should do.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where are these jobs? I've asked this question a few times. I never get a direct answer.

Candidate Obama ran on the very same thing. I completely supported his positions as Candidate Obama. He completely forgot all about those promises as President Obama.

I have no idea if Trump will pursue his promises or not but there are indeed many things we can and should do.
That depends on where in the country you are referring. The majority of jobs throughout the country have been in healthcare for the past several years. But if you look in particular geographic locations, (e.g., Texas - construction is booming). Jobs that are NOT seeing recovery are manufacturing, mining, textiles - those jobs are NOT coming back at a living wage. Regardless of what Trump proposes on trade, we are part of a global economy where low skilled manufacturing jobs will always be performed in countries with lower labor costs, and on in which technology will continue to decrease the number of workers needed to get the job done. People HAVE to learn new skills and obtain higher levels of education to succeed in the future. As long as folks deny this reality, they are going to be left behind.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
That depends on where in the country you are referring. The majority of jobs throughout the country have been in healthcare for the past several years. But if you look in particular geographic locations, (e.g., Texas - construction is booming). Jobs that are NOT seeing recovery are manufacturing, mining, textiles - those jobs are NOT coming back at a living wage. Regardless of what Trump proposes on trade, we are part of a global economy where low skilled manufacturing jobs will always be performed in countries with lower labor costs, and on in which technology will continue to decrease the number of workers needed to get the job done. People HAVE to learn new skills and obtain higher levels of education to succeed in the future. As long as folks deny this reality, they are going to be left behind.
You like the rest offer nothing but vague generalizations. Exactly, what technological jobs are tens of millions of people going to get?

We are going to have a need for 30 million engineer's? Doing what? What happens when there are more engineer's than jobs?

Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
You like the rest offer nothing but vague generalizations. Exactly, what technological jobs are tens of millions of people going to get?

We are going to have a need for 30 million engineer's? Doing what? What happens when there are more engineer's than jobs?

Forbes Welcome

The U.S. Occupations at Greatest Risk of a Labor Shortage - Real Time Economics - WSJ

America's persistent problem: Not enough skilled workers - Aug. 7, 2015

Op-ed: The Conversation About America's Skills Gap Is Changing | STEM Solutions | US News

http://whnt.com/2016/03/27/expert-sa...-short-supply/

Old 12-28-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Engineer's.. I already covered that. The rest of these jobs are going to be available for very few. A business doesn't need 700 Human Resource managers. We do not have a problem finding jobs for a small number but for millions.

I'm not going to bother signing up.

What these arguments are arguing for is more H1B visa's. They aren't interested in jobs but in importing people that will work for less.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Engineer's.. I already covered that. The rest of these jobs are going to be available for very few. A business doesn't need 700 Human Resource managers. We do not have a problem finding jobs for a small number but for millions.

Yes, but thousands of businesses hiring HR folks and engineers gets you on your way to millions, no?

Quote:
I'm not going to bother signing up.

I didn't need to sign up to read the article.

Quote:
What these arguments are arguing for is more H1B visa's. They aren't interested in jobs but in importing people that will work for less.

You asked were the jobs are - I answered. If you have some data to suggest that qualified Americans are NOT being hired for skilled trades jobs, I'd love to see it.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, but thousands of businesses hiring HR folks and engineers gets you on your way to millions, no?
No.

Quote:
I didn't need to sign up to read the article.
Cool.

Quote:
You asked were the jobs are - I answered. If you have some data to suggest that qualified Americans are NOT being hired for skilled trades jobs, I'd love to see it.
We need to end the H1B visa pipeline but again, we simply have to have manufacturing jobs. I have no idea why you think there are going to be all of these engineering jobs where people are not creating anything.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
No.

Yes. Newslfash - there isn't any sector of employment that is going to fill the need for all the unemployed by itself. How do you eat an elephant? A bite at a time.

Quote:
We need to end the H1B visa pipeline but again, we simply have to have manufacturing jobs. I have no idea why you think there are going to be all of these engineering jobs where people are not creating anything.

*I* don't think anything. I quoted you articles with cited data. If you have an issue with the data - cite some countering data points.

You seem hung up on engineers, manufacturing and H1Bs. The last article I posted talked about the huge number of skilled trades vacancies, that is electricians, plumbers, pipefitters, welders, etc. I'll ask again, do you have any data to suggest that companies are NOT hiring qualified Americans for these positions? If so, I'd love to see it.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yes. Newslfash - there isn't any sector of employment that is going to fill the need for all the unemployed by itself. How do you eat an elephant? A bite at a time.
We are NOT going to create millions of engineering jobs. What exactly are they supposed to be doing? I asked where these jobs are. You say they are there but you haven't shown where yet.

Quote:
*I* don't think anything. I quoted you articles with cited data. If you have an issue with the data - cite some countering data points.
I adressed those articles. They are arguing for more H1B visas. We need to end them. There are people to fill them, just not ones willing to work for little like the immigrants they bring in.

Quote:
You seem hung up on engineers, manufacturing and H1Bs. The last article I posted talked about the huge number of skilled trades vacancies, that is electricians, plumbers, pipefitters, welders, etc. I'll ask again, do you have any data to suggest that companies are NOT hiring qualified Americans for these positions? If so, I'd love to see it.
What are they building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies