Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:07 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,406,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It's probably too easy for criminals to copy your state license so pay up.
We pay for IDs already and they are updated with antiforgery technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're good for 10 years. Modest cost, IMO.
Not a modest upfront cost, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,238,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We pay for IDs already and they are updated with antiforgery technology.

If you think your licenses are secure enough, sue the feds for picking on your state.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:10 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,270,192 times
Quote:
I don't because its going to **** up travel - personal and business - for a lot of people. So stupid.
It isn't just air travel, that will be affected in 2018, it is also government buildings that will be effected this January. Lets say that you want to visit someone on one of our military bases in PA this coming February. It is possible that you might not get in. But somebody visiting the same base from NY or NJ can show their driver's license and go right in! This is going to get confusing very fast.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 AM

89,560 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Quote:
For irresponsible people who are incapable of planning, maybe. Those who travel by air are unlikely to be so poor that they cannot afford the cost of a passport that's good for 10 years.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:14 AM

57,404 posts, read 26,422,320 times
The law was passed in 2005, these states had 11 years to comply and it does not go into effect until 2018. Probably a decent percentage of people already have passports but if these states didn't already have a plan then blame your local government.

Quote:
Airline passengers in five states and a U.S. territory will be unable to present their current driver's licenses at airport checkpoints after Jan. 22, 2018, under new rules announced on Friday by the Department of Homeland Security.
The Homeland Security department, which overseas the TSA, said it would begin enforcing a post-Sept. 11 law that directs federal agencies to only accept state-issued identifications that meet federal security standards that were enacted in 2005.
TSA to stop accepting some states' drivers licenses in 2018 | TheHill

Old 12-28-2016, 05:22 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,270,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The law was passed in 2005, these states had 11 years to comply and it does not go into effect until 2018. Probably a decent percentage of people already have passports but if these states didn't already have a plan then blame your local government.

TSA to stop accepting some states' drivers licenses in 2018 | TheHill
That date is only to fly. If you go to the TSA link: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief and hover your curser over the non-compliant states; you will see that some government facilities will restrict this non-compliant ID this coming January.

PS The bigger question is: Why haven't these states complied when they had 11 years?

Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 AM

57,404 posts, read 26,422,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That date is only to fly. If you go to the TSA link: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief and hover your curser over the non-compliant states; you will see that some government facilities will restrict this non-compliant ID this coming January.

PS The bigger question is: Why haven't these states complied when they had 11 years?
It appears that several other states got extensions, why didn't those states ask for an extension to comply.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
For irresponsible people who are incapable of planning, maybe. Those who travel by air are unlikely to be so poor that they cannot afford the cost of a passport that's good for 10 years.
You make a lot of assumptions. I frequently travel on planes and don't have a passport because I've no need of one.

It makes me chuckle that those so against government intrusion eat this **** up with a spoon.

The point is it is yet another cost targeting the middle class.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:34 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,258,283 times
Alternative ID allowed:
  • Driver's licenses from a federally compliant state or photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
I enjoy that Canadian driver's licenses, which don't meet the same requirements of the Real ID law either, are acceptable.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Alternative ID allowed:
  • Driver's licenses from a federally compliant state or photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
I enjoy that Canadian driver's licenses, which don't meet the same requirements of the Real ID law either, are acceptable.
LOL I have none of those.

I have my driver's license, birth certificate and social security card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies