Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 489,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not trying to do anything. All I meant that if the right to vote is obviously understood and it is mentioned in the Constitution, then, yes, we do have that right. Save your attitude for someone else.
Except you're wrong because if it was "obviously understood" it wouldn't always be in the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 06:17 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,417,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't know where you deduced that Voter ID's are null and void.
No, I meant the idea of them are null and void as it concerns the liberal stance on them.

638 posts, read 312,284 times
That's frustrating. I've never left this country and have no desire to do so. Yet now I need to go get a passport, which I've never had. Why? Because my governor is an a$$-hat.

18,774 posts, read 18,285,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd like to think there would be some additional benefits to people and the states they live in if their licenses weren't so easy to forge.
I like ID and I don't mind the new regulations. However; I don't like the fact that my State is one of the nine states that are not compliant. I also don't like the fact that we waited until the last minute to discuss this problem. I have to presume that, in 2005 when the legislation was first passed, that each state accordingly took a position - but I think my State did not really make that position clear or let us fully understand the consequences to not complying.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:19 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,417,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
Except you're wrong because if it was "obviously understood" it wouldn't always be in the courts.
I'd like to see how you'd react upon being turned away at the voting booth. I'm sure you'd just take in stride, right?

I guess all those things telling voters to contact their local voting office if they have problems voting are unnecessary right?

https://www.votingrightsinstitute.org/report/

Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 AM

79,125 posts, read 61,253,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I like ID and I don't mind the new regulations. However; I don't like the fact that my State is one of the nine states that are not compliant. I also don't like the fact that we waited until the last minute to discuss this problem. I have to presume that, in 2005 when the legislation was first passed, that each state accordingly took a position - but I think my State did not really make that position clear or let us fully understand the consequences to not complying.
No doubt about it. Several states basically didn't make it a priority and dropped the ball on this one.

I mean seriously, it's not like they can't just copy what one of the other 41 states have done and go with whatever vendor is cheapest.

I'd heard Illinois was non-compliant as well but wasn't on the list unless I just read over it too fast.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:21 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,282,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You make a lot of assumptions. I frequently travel on planes and don't have a passport because I've no need of one.

It makes me chuckle that those so against government intrusion eat this **** up with a spoon.
Obama had 8 years to abolish the TSA. He didn't.

Quote:
The point is it is yet another cost targeting the middle class.
Obama has never been for the middle class, so why are you surprised now?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 AM

45,370 posts, read 26,643,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You probably wouldn't mind being micro-chipped either. Good citizen.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 AM

57,400 posts, read 26,440,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No doubt about it. Several states basically didn't make it a priority and dropped the ball on this one.

I mean seriously, it's not like they can't just copy what one of the other 41 states have done and go with whatever vendor is cheapest.

I'd heard Illinois was non-compliant as well but wasn't on the list unless I just read over it too fast.

Several states like NY, Ill got extensions to October 2017

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

Old 12-28-2016, 06:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,523,104 times
I don't think I've ever flown without my passport as an adult. It's just easier I guess, less scrutiny or potential for issues when all I want to do is get through as quickly and painlessly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies