Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:38 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is the Real ID Law, tacked onto a military spending bill by its author, and passed in 2005.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act
Interesting reading. Thank you for the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 06:42 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ctrl-Left
Proposed by a republican, unanimously passed Senate, signed by Bush and only faced opposition in the house from the democrats.

Largely it's aimed at illegals with fake ID's.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:44 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Shhhhh, grown ups talking take that childish garbage elsewhere.
I hear sheep braying.
Now tell us where the fed guv is authorized to run a security scheme at airports?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is the Real ID Law, tacked onto a military spending bill by its author, and passed in 2005.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act
Actually I think that Wikipedia link provides the reason so many states are not fully compliant, according to that link: "Each state must agree to share its motor vehicle database with all other states. This database must include, at a minimum, all the data printed on the state drivers' licenses and ID cards, plus drivers' histories (including motor vehicle violations, suspensions, and points on licenses)." States do not like to share driver history. I presume because so many drivers don't want their history shared from state to state? I know that my CDL history is shared; but it would not surprise me if there are not influential drivers that have multiple tickets in states that don't share information.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:50 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
This is actually an appropriate division of state and federal government for once. States make their own licenses, but the fed agency can choose to accept or not without mandating anything.
They are mandating the states to change their license. Not much of a choice here. That is the problem with the federal government regarding the states, the feds hold all the power.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:51 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I hear sheep braying.
Now tell us where the fed guv is authorized to run a security scheme at airports?
I'm sure you hear lots of things that aren't really there.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
This is actually an appropriate division of state and federal government for once. States make their own licenses, but the fed agency can choose to accept or not without mandating anything.
Except it's not appropriate for government to get involved with making an ID law for legal adults wanting the services of a private business. Leave it up to each airline. Get rid of the TSA while we are at it.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're good for 10 years. Modest cost, IMO.
Zero is a better cost.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You probably wouldn't mind being micro-chipped either. Good citizen.
Too late.

Last Thursday, the House passed HR 4919, also known as Kevin and Avonte’s Law, which would allow the US attorney general to award grants to law enforcement for the creation and operation of “locative tracking technology programs.” Though the program’s mission is to find “individuals with forms of dementia or children with developmental disabilities who have wandered from safe environments,” it provides no restriction on the tracking program’s inclusion of other individuals.

Gohmert’s assessment is spot-on. Giving local police the authority to decide who is microchipped and who is not based on their mental soundness is a recipe for disaster. Though the bill specifically mentions those with Alzheimer’s and autism, how long before these tracking programs are extended to those with ADHD and bipolar disorder, among other officially recognized disorders.

House Passes Bill Allowing Government to Microchip Citizens With "Mental Disabilities"

Quote:
Shhhhh, grown ups talking take that childish garbage elsewhere.
Take it where, the swamp?

Old 12-28-2016, 07:31 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
I'm sure you hear lots of things that aren't really there.
what I didn't hear was you answering the question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies