Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 PM

504 posts, read 300,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Canada's citizens also pay on average 42% of their income in taxes in order to get that healthcare, and they're still running a deficit trying to pay for the universal healthcare, and are probably going to have to raise taxes again.
Wrong.

Top Federal tax rate is 33%, and that only on the portion over $202,800. If you make $91,000, it's 20.5%.
  • 15% on the first $45,282 of taxable income
  • 20.5% on the next $45,281 of taxable income (over $45,282 up to $90,563), +
  • 26% on the next $49,825 of taxable income (over $90,563 up to $140,388)
  • 29% on the next $59,612 of taxable income (over $140,388 up to $200,000), +
  • 33% of taxable income over $200,000.

Depending on which province your in, your actual tax will vary.

2016 Personal tax calculator - EY - Canada - EY - Canada

None even come close to what you think is an average... NONE.

Facts, not spin.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but single payer does not magically make healthcare a whole bunch cheaper. I know you want it to be true, but it really isn't. Healthcare is expensive because it's expensive. We're just arguing over who should pay for it - the person getting the healthcare, or the rich.
Yes, it is true. The infrastructure of just the billing system that doctors' office need to staff for is a huge burden. And one can get into the profit that hospitals need to make for their shareholders, never mind the insurance companies. A huge amount of non-medical inefficiencies are built into the American system, compared to anywhere else in the world.

And Canadians still live longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 01:33 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Being that McDonalds is always hiring, what do you think my answer is?

Folks need to realize something. Adversity requires you to make adjustments. As someone who once lived in his car, I know all about it. We are supposed to be victims of OUR OWN choices. I don't need anyone economically enslaving me to tend to OTHER PEOPLE's bad choices in life.

Liberals are NOTHING BUT "bad choices". Hey, here's an idea. Maybe if we stopped handing out foodstamps to able-bodied adults, stopped letting in the constant flood of refugees, and stopped letting in the millions of illegal immigrants, MAYBE we could PAY LESS TAXES, so you'd have more money to spend on your health care? MAYBE if we didn't have so many people coming in, we'd have more jobs to go around, and you would be able PAY FOR YOUR OWN DAMN HEALTH CARE!!!

So once again, I'm DONE. I'm not funding your bad choices in life. Make better ones. It's called conservatism.
Who will pay for the health care for a family involved in a car crash? Family had no insurance. Trump believes you should pay for them. He is fine with having lots of people freeloading the system. Do you agree?

Old 01-04-2017, 01:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This is one of those areas where the more government intervenes, the more costs go up, services go done, and the worse it makes things
Do you have a link or other proof that healthcare costs have gone up due to government intervention?

Old 01-04-2017, 01:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Who will pay for the health care for a family involved in a car crash? Family had no insurance. Trump believes you should pay for them. He is fine with having lots of people freeloading the system. Do you agree?
Trump has argued in the past that we should have health care. He's not exactly pinned himself down on what it will be but he's not been against the idea. Kelly Conway says they are working on a program.

Will it all be bluster? One can not claim that until it is.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am going to repost this from the OP...

ObamaCare has aided the growth of the malignancy that is destroying U.S. health care: a massive federal administrative apparatus and regulatory machine that diverts trillions—not millions or even billions—of “health care” dollars away from health care services to pay itself, to pay the health care bureaucracy.

Costs will come down in simply removing the feds from the equation.

Also - many people in health care want to help others, which is why they go into health care in the first place - and part of helping others is making prices affordable so people can use their services.
I'm not one to defend Obamacare, but FYI- insurance rates and medical costs have skyrocketed for many years prior to Obamacare. Costs weren't down before or during ACA and aren't coming down afterwards.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM

638 posts, read 310,390 times
Quote:
Who will pay for the health care for a family involved in a car crash?
Family had no insurance.
Car insurance. It's required to drive the car. If you were driving without it, oh well. See ya!

Quote:
Trump believes you should pay for them. He is fine with having lots of people freeloading the system. Do you agree?
Contrary to the delusions you may have, I don't agree with every single thing that Donald J. Trump says and does. It's not required to earn my vote. What's required is that I agree with MOST of what you say and do.

No, child, I will NEVER agree with a liberal. Doesn't matter what they have to say, or how they say it. The only thing I'll every agree with when it comes to liberals is their desire to depart the country.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Car insurance. It's required to drive the car. If you were driving without it, oh well. See ya!
Nope. Car insurance is not required to cover all lifetime health care expenses for everyone involved in a car accident. Trump is fine with people not bothering to be insured and sending the bill to you when they are rushed to the hospital after a car accident. And this is the system you support as well right? Millions of people having the freedom to be freeloaders so you get the bill.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Anecdotal exceptions don't make a rule. Nice try though. Canadians live longer than Americans. Fact. Healthcare as a percentage of GDP costs less. Fact. Corporate taxes are less (by far!). Fact. Personal taxes are marginally higher. Fact.

Your entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.
No, I completely agree with you. As I said in my last post, posting that video wasn't really my argument against universal healthcare. My problems with it are primarily how it's accomplished, along with some of the practical issues - waiting lists, quality of care (mixed reviews on that), etc. which has all been debated here plenty of times.

My main issue is that healthcare isn't a right, and I also have an issue with people treating other people's money as if it's theirs to divvy up.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is an opinion piece written by a doctor.

A doctor’s straight talk: America, your health care is not a federal responsibility

Supporters of President Obama’s signature law loudly tout its one success—an increase in the number of insured Americans. Regrettably, it did so by reducing access to medical care for all Americans.

ObamaCare has aided the growth of the malignancy that is destroying U.S. health care: a massive federal administrative apparatus and regulatory machine that diverts trillions—not millions or even billions—of “health care” dollars away from health care services to pay itself, to pay the health care bureaucracy.

The original 1965 Medicaid law created a “jointly funded, state administered” program. Note the phrase state administered. Over five decades, the federal government has gradually taken control of every aspect of supposedly state-run Medicaid programs. Not only should the states control health care within their borders according to the Constitution, but the Medicaid law also explicitly legislated local, i.e., state, control of each program.

What should Congress replace ObamaCare with? Nothing! I write again, Nothing!

Let the states decide how best to care for their people. Let the states organize health care activities within their borders and make whatever deals they like across borderlines.

I like it. I also think it needs to be removed from the employer, and full control and freedom of choice given to individuals and families.

Single Payer

Old 01-04-2017, 01:50 PM

638 posts, read 310,390 times
Quote:
Nope. Car insurance is not required to cover all lifetime health care expenses for everyone involved in a car accident. Trump is fine with people not bothering to be insured and sending the bill to you when they are rushed to the hospital after a car accident. And this is the system you support as well right? Millions of people having the freedom to be freeloaders so you get the bill.
Still a better deal then paying for everyone that has decided hard work and ambition is for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies