Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I hear the movie that won best picture was called LaLaLand.

How appropriate.

Those Hollywood fools live in their own little lalaland.
And yet you contribute whenever you watch a movie or tv show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
So you are saying that the news reports are lying that report that she was referring to Trump, and that when she mentioned mocking a disabled reporter , along with whatever else she said , she was not referring to Trump?

And who cares how talented a director he was ? Are you one of those that thinks talent in a certain area makes bad and/or criminal behavior OK ? What if Polanski was buggering little boys? Still OK to give him a standing O based on his artistic talent, and THEN those same people criticize the morals of another person, even when that person is a douche , as Trump is ?
I'm saying that she didn't mention Trump's name. And for a reason. Because the message she wanted to convey was bigger than Trump. She wasn't bashing Trump. She was telling people that leaders shouldn't demean groups of people, because when a nation's leaders do it, it seems to give permission to others to do it. And she was referencing the diversity of the night's nominees to make the point that "foreigners" aren't the enemy.

I imagine the people who care how talented a director he is are the people who've worked with him, the people who've financed his projects, and the people who've been inspired by his creativity and craftsmanship. I'm one of those people who recognize that art surpasses the artist, it is something enduring and special. I don't think much of Polanski the person. Every artist is a flawed human being. Every single one of them. Flawed. Imperfect. Sometimes monstrous. Rodin was a son-of-a-*****. The sculptures he created are sublime. If Rodin were being honored today, I'd stand up and applaud his work. It doesn't mean that I think he was a good person.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:

How appropriate.

Those Hollywood fools employ millions of people and pour billions into local economies.

Quote:
In the process of producing video content for today’s audiences, the American motion picture and TV industry contributes approximately $40 billion per year in payments to more than 330,000 local businesses across the country, according to the latest economic impact figures. In all, the industry’s nationwide economic activity supports 1.9 million workers and generates $47 billion in wages.
http://www.mpaa.org/u-s-film-and-tv-...er-of-america/

Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When you drug and sodomize a little girl, she was 13 for goodness sake and he was 42, I'll never let it go.

I dont understand how anybody could give a standing ovation to a man who, at 42, did that to a little girl.
Fair enough, but what does that have to do with Trump? Polanski isn't about to run the country.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're behind the curve. His spokesperson has now moved to insisting that we not listen to what Trump says, but look at what is in his heart. (I am not making this up.)
This isn't the first time I heard we shouldn't take him literally, that doesn't leave us with much substance.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Sure we can.

If I remember correct from reading about this a couple months ago, here is what happened.

Trump sexually assaulted her. She began to date him. He dumped her for Marla Maples. She sued him for sexual assault. She lost the case.

Did I get that right? If not, what did I miss?
Nope.

He attacked her in 1994. She split from her boyfriend (sorry, was thinking it was her husband) in 1998, and Trump called her up and tried to console her... she took him up on his offer because she needed a job... he wasn't a very good boyfriend... they split. She started dating Melania.

Doesn't change the fact that he tried to molest her in 1994 when she was involved with someone else. In his daughter's bedroom, no less. The case that was lost was for the money he owed them when he ditched their business venture... sound familiar?

And, she and her boyfriend at the time both have similar accounts of The Donald's behavior. I have zero doubt that he was very used to forcing himself on women, given his socioeconomic status and his general attitude toward women.

Quite a few women have spoken out against him, including a reporter he tried to molest.

Support him as a president if you like, but don't pretend he's not a predator.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:

How appropriate.

Regardless of where a person lives or what their profession is or kind of income they make, they have a constitutional right to speak their mind.

I never opposed the freedom of speech for fools who live in run down trailer parks and fly the Confederate flag and post here at C-D.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
When you drug and sodomize a little girl, she was 13 for goodness sake and he was 42, I'll never let it go.

I dont understand how anybody could give a standing ovation to a man who, at 42, did that to a little girl.
I understand your outrage and I would most likely respect it more if in the same breath you weren't defending D.Trump a known sexual pretitor.To me there is hypocrisy there.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:30 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This isn't the first time I heard we shouldn't take him literally, that doesn't leave us with much substance.
Someone on this board told me he should be taken "seriously, but not literally". I have absolutely no clue what that even means.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,109,113 times
It was a televised group hug. Good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies