Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times

Advertisements

I think the standard policies are helpful not perfect but helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:40 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
My favorite part about the ACA is watching liberals cry when we take it away.
ACA will not affect me one way or another personally but I like the idea that my friends and neighbors have the health care they didn't have before ACA. Caring about others... I know this might be a foreign concept to a hater like yourself.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:45 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I think the best part of the ACA is for the first time ever employees were not health insurance slaves to their employers. You could quit and go solo and still get insurance. If you moved from company x to company y, the basic terms and coverage were the same. I'm afraid that is all out the window now. It's back to the hodge podge of HSAs, high interest health care loans, cancellations for using it, no preventive care, the big donut hole in Medicare is coming back, lots of things that people have come to take for granted. The only way to improve ACA is to keep going in the direction of UHC, which is not the GOP plan in any sense at all. We are going back to the future.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:02 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
It does not affect me, since I am gainfully employed. However, I did witness one interesting benefit during the course of my work.

My work, for Social Security, is writing decisions on behalf of administrative law judges, concerning claimant's that had filed for disability. Of course, to write up a decision I review the medical files. I have often written of how discouraging it has been, over the course of 28 years, to see how many people without health insurance must use our local county hospital (John Peter Smith, here in Fort Worth).

I had a case back in the summer concerning a woman whom had several health problems, including diabetes. She had a good work record, although she always worked as a waitress or other low-paying job. Hence, she also had to resort to JPS for sporadic treatment.

However, she went through the ACA marketplace, and obtained health insurance. I rather marveled at how she was able to obtain a primary care physician, and started a regular regimen for treatment of her diabetes (as well as hypertension and a few other things I can't recall).

The improvement in her health was dramatic. She still attended the hearing, but told the judge that her health had improved so much that she had recently returned to work. The judge denied her claim, but I have a feeling she was not concerned about it (if nothing else, she did not appeal to the Appeals Council).

True, her Obamacare was subsidized. I think she said she was paying $5.00 per month. However, we must recall that, over a lifetime, a person that begins receiving disability is paid out, on average, $300,000.00 (I forget where I saw that figure, and so I may be in error; however, I know it was a rather staggering amount, and I think included Medicare/Medicaid benefits paid).

It is but one case, although I suspect that there were others. It did serve to show that Obamacare can save money in at least one respect.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:05 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Its makes people have insurance so they can have care paid for by private industry rather than tax dollars. It makes insurance companies provide insurance to that that could not get it otherwise.

Insurance premiums are going up. Its not perfect but its better than it was. Any new design is seldom perfect the first time. It can be tweaked and improved. We did not get from the Model T to the Telsa over night.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:09 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,630 times
Quote:
Sadly, remarks like this define this election.
It was never about making America greater, but only about defeat.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Its makes people have insurance so they can have care paid for by private industry rather than tax dollars. It makes insurance companies provide insurance to that that could not get it otherwise.

Insurance premiums are going up. Its not perfect but its better than it was. Any new design is seldom perfect the first time. It can be tweaked and improved. We did not get from the Model T to the Telsa over night.
Nor did we get anyone willing to tweak and improve. It's a shame.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:11 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Additionally letting people under 26 stay on their insurance policy is great.
Really dude. That way I can stay in my room and lay about with my Playstation. Like---I'll deal with medical stuff later dude.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
My insurances costs have doubled. How am I better off now?
How long have you been in the workplace? Maybe you do not realize that premiums were actually rising faster before the ACA than they are now. Many of our employers ate the extra cost as long as they could, so it may not have been apparent. This was an issue everyone acknowledged at the time the ACA was passed that would need more work to address. And then instead of addressing it, the Republicans set out to try to repeal the ACA over and over and over.

You may not realize this, but even you, who have done everything "right" and responsible in your life are only one major illness or accident away from losing your health insurance and becoming uninsurable without the ACA. Or you may, god forbid, have a child with cancer someday who survives but is then uninsurable for the rest of their life. If you aren't willing to support it for others, you should at least support it for yourself.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:17 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:

Many "right" people will lose coverage too- so you will be happy their kids might get sick and die - wonderful human being = awesome...

the law was very advantageous in my g-son due to an accident- because mom had great insurance- he go the best care possible. He is home now after almost 6 months of intense and aggressive care- NO ACA may not be perfect- because the REPS refused to help make it so years ago- but it has helped MANY

PS she is a repub I dont knwo why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies