Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times

Advertisements

I know a good number of Millennials and none are living at home, but I'm in the Chicago area where they're more likely to find jobs once they're out of school. They all moved out less than a year after graduating college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,980,972 times
I didn't know that Millenials had even been around for 130 years.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
I only know one person who does this and contrary to posters perceptions he actually just works at the same job he had in high school and never moved out. No college nothing, just manager of a movie theatre.

I went back 1 summer during college for 2 months and hated every single day, college made me move on from that life. I went back for holidays, but I could never live in my high school town with my parents again.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
The economy is so 'great' that people can't afford to move out of mom's basement!

Thanks Obama!

I imagine this wasn't the change people voted for.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,335,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm going to be blunt, here... no woman wants to partner with a 'pajama boy.'
lol. not all millenials are like the pajama boy obama care but yes, there is alot of softness involved here

this pic sort of sums up the ww2 generation and everyone else

these are common use pics from wikimedia commons

Old 01-18-2017, 11:09 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
35% of millennial young men live with their parents!

Should solve that overpopulation problem I keep hearing about...

Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,335,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Should solve that overpopulation problem I keep hearing about...
Very true! It may be the economy as well. From a 2015 article

Baby bust! Millennials' birth rate drop may signal historic shift

"We calculate that in 2012, women in their twenties had births at a pace that would lead to 948 births per 1,000 women, by far the slowest pace of any generation of young women in U.S. history," the report said.

"If these low birth rates to women in their twenties continue, the U.S. might eventually face the type of generational imbalance that currently characterizes Japan and some European countries, but it is too early to predict or worry about that eventuality."

"This is really quite big," said Nan Marie Astone, one of the report's authors.

However, because the big plunge in the birthrates coincided with Great Recession and the following years, "it's hard to think that [the economic decline] wasn't the reason," Astone said.

Still, while every previous major economic decline has also been followed by a decrease in the birthrate among young women, "it's not been this big" as the one identified by the new study, Astone said."

Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The economy is so 'great' that people can't afford to move out of mom's basement!

Thanks Obama!

Why are you blaming Obama. Housing prices have gone way up and people just can't afford them.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Default Oh Look, Another "Bash Millennials" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerfolda View Post
They can't earn enough to live on their own. It's one reason why lots of people in Davos should be talking about how to avert a war of some kind. We're headed toward massive violence if this isn't addressed.
Yep. I worked full-time for school district and even worked a second job for about $18K total last year. I was starting doing taxes my and found that due to my second job not taking out federal (income tax) withholding (for whatever reason) I actually OWE taxes this year despite the federal standard deductions. It maybe chump change to some but when we get nickled-and-dimed, those nickles and dimes add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
I'm fairly left leaning, and I don't buy that.

I managed to move out on my own at 19, I barely made enough to live on my own, without roommates, but I managed. Worst apartment in the most dangerous area of town, and every said I should move back in with my parents until I could afford better. But I knew what I wanted, so I made it work.

If they really wanted to make it work, they would.
Pfff, easy for you to say. For everyone who succeeds, there are at least two suffering under the current economics of our country. Increased low wage jobs, decreased medium wage jobs. Yet we see costs rise. You were lucky with your dumpy apartment in the bad part of town, some aren't so lucky. You were. You want a medal? I mean us Millennials were supposed to get medals for everything, why not good luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is the internet generation. The world comes to your bedroom.
Um, I know Boomers who are just as bad with the internet and honestly as an educator, the internet is even worse for the next generation. The sad part is we really can't take away cell phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerfolda View Post
I challenge you to live in the middle Kansas and do the same.

And there's the rub, there are two Americas. An urban with some level of income, and a rural class dying. The rural class elected Trump they are so bad off.

I don't say it lightly, nor wish it, but we (as in the west) are headed for a showdown and it won't be pretty.
Arizona is fairly similar except if you talk say Scottsdale, Tempe or east Phoenix. The west valley like Glendale is finally popping up but a majority of the jobs are low wage. I didn't vote Trump because I saw through the ruse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
Another unfortunate side-effect of the crappy, stagnant Obama economy. Hopefully Trump can start righting this sinking ship and put these young men back to work The liberal's high taxes and anti-male policies don't help the situation either
Sure blame Obama for lackluster growth until 2014. Remember what happened with the Obama Jobs Bill? GOP senators block top Obama jobs initiative - CNNPolitics.com
Quote:
GOP senators block top Obama jobs initiative
By Ted Barrett, CNN
Updated 8:29 PM ET, Thu July 19, 2012

Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked the No.1 item on the president's congressional "to-do-list," refusing to allow a vote on a bill that would give tax breaks for companies that "insource" jobs to the U.S. from overseas while eliminating tax deductions for companies that move jobs abroad.

In voting against the bill, Republicans raised both substantive and procedural problems with the measure.
The bill fell four votes short of the 60 needed to bring it to debate, with 42 voting against it. Four GOP senators -- Scott Brown of Massachusetts, Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine and Dean Heller of Nevada -- voted in favor of the bill.

With job creation the top issue this campaign season, and outsourcing being blamed as a big contributor to the high unemployment rate, Democrats saw the bill as an election-year winner. Sponsored by Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigan, who is running for reelection, the bill made it to the top of the "to-do list" for Congress President Barack Obama unveiled earlier this year.

The Bring Jobs Home Act would provide a 20% tax break for the costs of moving jobs back to the United States and would rescind business expense deductions available to companies that are associated with the cost of moving operations overseas.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, had warned Democrats before the vote that his party would want to amend the bill -- possibly with hot-button issues like repealing the health care reform law or extending the Bush-era tax cuts for all income levels.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, responded that those amendments were not germane to the bill and he would not allow votes on them.

In addition, Republican aides called attention to opposition by business groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers, who generally support Republicans.

In a letter to senators this week, the Chamber of Commerce called the bill "misguided" and said it "would hamper American worldwide companies' competitiveness, increase complexity in the Internal Revenue Code, and threaten economic growth."

The Chamber said it would count how senators voted on this motion in their annual "How they Voted" scorecard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
More young people go to college than before. Some of them live with their parents while going to school, rather than go into debt for student housing at $10k/year for room/board.

Between the college thing and younger people waiting longer to marry, this likely makes up for some of the numbers.

Also some teens seem to act much younger in their real age when it comes to dependency on their parents. Some 18-19 year olds act like 14-15 year olds from decades ago as far as having their parents treat them like they are much younger than their real age. Helicopter parents did some of this.
Indeed, there are a lot of issues that now existing for children today whether millennials or the next. It is because a lot of younger parents don't want to be parents. I joke with my mother about stuff but that is our family. I still respect my mother and back-off when I hear "That's enough." Sadly, sometimes that don't come through until there are hurt feelings.

To some, it might seem like I am disrespectful, I am not. I help out my parents with bills or buying my own things food wise. I help out around the house when not working one of my two jobs.

Quote:
To be fair, this too is "on" Obama

He single-handedly gave rise to "the part-time Obama economy" with jobs that pay soooooo little money that from a mathematical/common-sense perspective it actually makes MORE sense for a young man to just sit at home playing Xbox all day while collecting welfare or mooching the parents Companies like Twitch are BOOMING, and that is just the most obvious example of this jobless-young man-phenomenon that I can think of

Obama economy was soooo bad that in many parts of the country welfare LITERALLY ends up "paying" more compared to the $8/hour jobs available to these unskilled types I think on average a full-time welfare recipient "earns" an average of $15-$20/hour just for sitting at home on their @zz watching TV..... obviously much "better" than the private sector's $8/hour jobs

I don't blame these young men for "taking it easy" to be honest, why work hard? To get their money stolen by Liberal taxation/thievery?? no thx jeff

Quote:
Why do parents allow it?

My dad made me pay rent to live in our house when I came back from college and had tons of chores and stuff to pay growing up. I lived in a large brady bunch style family and was young and low on the totem pole when it came to my own room, I lived in an attic room, a glorified laundry room in the basement , and above a horse barn during my youth! lol Of course, my dad was cheap but what kind of dad wants his 18-34 year old son living at home?

I have a feeling this is alot of single moms and mothers allowing this, I just dont see too many fathers accepting this unless you are working and have a plan to get out
Fathers don't understand. Two years ago, I was one of those unemployed lost college graduate millennials. I was one of those plugged in on the internet. Partially to do job applications and also to do whatever. Within weeks I got not just one job but two.

Quote:
I have observed this as well, men/fathers are the "no nonsense" party in any relationship. Most women are much softer in comparison and more likely to fall for the "sob stories" and "excuses" thrown out by these slacker/loser types who refuse to carry their own weight

Men are generally "taken more seriously" by kids, so it's only natural that as the incidence of fatherless welfare-funded single motherhood has EXPLODED kids seem to have gotten lazier and more undisciplined. A side-effect is the millions and millions of motivation-less young men that are common today or spending their entire days watching Twitch and Youtube

There's no "quick and easy" solution to all this, but replacing Obama (wimpy/feminist) with Trump (good role model/alpha male) is a good start
Trump is no role model. A friend of mine from middle and high school had asked "Why Trump is sexist?" I responded with some 10 moments he made sexist comments and a supporter of Trump said "Yeah, he's kind of a dick." Now what kind of person is a "role model" that is a dick?

I doubt I'll change your mind, you seem set in your ways but for many of us we use Twitch and YouTube as our hustle or side-hustle. Quite a few people make a decent living from it doing what they love. Just because it don't fit in your box don't mean it is wrong. One is ex-military, he does comic book reviews and video game streams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Like anything, this doesn't show the full picture.

Several of my friends - all college educated worked full time, middle class jobs - still live at home even into their mid to late 20s. In one case, both sons have decent paying jobs but are expected to live at home rent-free until they marry. The older son is is 32, getting married in the fall, and has a full 20% down payment on one of the $400,000+ starter condos (yes, you read that right) in my area. My best friend lived with roommates for awhile, but then realized she could pay off her student loans AND save for a downpayment on a condo by living at home. Her parents are thrilled to have the extra set of hands to make sure there is dinner on the table every night, the house is kept clean, and outdoor chores that they are beginning to have a harder time with (like shoveling out after a storm) are done. I can repeat this story half a dozen times. In a few other cases, such as my boyfriend (who splits his time between his parents' house 4 hours away and an apartment with roommates locally), the parents wouldn't make it financially without the kids. My boyfriend runs a business out of his parents' barn without which his parents would not have employment, as well as pays a portion of the mortgage and utilities. Without him, his parents would lose their home and land.

Even studios in the dumpiest neighborhoods far out on a bus line cost over $1200 a month in my area (if you can find one so cheaply) plus utilities. If you want to put 20% down on your first place, you need to cough up $70,000. The only people I know who are managing to buy their own homes in their 20s or early 30s are those who live with their parents, have significant help from their parents, or are extremely high earning dual incomes. I can't find it in myself to begrudge people for making sacrifices within their families to ensure long-term security.
Too true. Far too many don't realize some of us do it for future economic security. Instead they are far too wrapped up in their own narrative like the previous replier I responded to. Instead, they stick to the meme and stereotype rather than the realities.

Quote:
I grew up in a large family and a large home but it was pretty tight space and very age based on who got their own room. I wouldn't have wanted to live in a garage or basement or attic or wherever I could be put and pay rent compared to having my own place, even with roommates, if i had the financial choice.

The bad thing was being back home with the same high school life with the same friends and same parks ,beaches,hangouts etc, same life as high school. The same life as high school and I am 24 but deep down my parents wanted me to move on and I did as well. It was very depressing to return home after college
I agree that it is a bit depressing to return home. That is why you have the whole "You can't come home again," line.

Quote:
An old Billy joel tune from an album my dad had summed it up for me and I was even older

"So you play your albums, and you smoke your pot
And you meet your girlfriend in the parking lot
Oh but still you're aching for the things you haven't got
What went wrong?

And if you can't understand why your world is so dead
Why you've got to keep in style and feed your head
Well you're 21 and still your mother makes your bed
And that's too long"
I've heard this before and it is true to a point but the problem is millennials are hard working individuals. On top of college. Because of those of us with "flexible" schedules, some of us can protest more than most people did who were of working age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Thanks Obama!

And people will be kicking themselves in 2020 when I fear Trump's economy is no better if not worse than Obama's when he is running to "Keep America Great." Donald Trump's proposed 2020 slogan was used by 'The Purge: Election Year'

Old 01-19-2017, 01:33 AM

519 posts, read 732,040 times
I'm a 24 year old male and I still live with my parents. I've never been good with getting an education, I dropped out of high school to get a GED. I tried community college, but it was more of the same. Too much of a high school feeling, and I'm terrible at math so I didn't keep going. Pretty much I just work part time minimum wage jobs by choice, it gives me enough money to pay for car insurance, my phone, food, and any other leisure activities I want to do. I will admit I'm lucky that my parents don't make me pay rent, but hey, this is the life I get to live. I also have a brother who is 23 who also lives at home, and he's in the same situation as me. I have another brother who's 20, he's currently in college and he also lives at home.

For me, I have no idea what career I want to do, or what would be realistic for someone like me who doesn't want to waste money on school when I know it's not for me. I've heard the trades, but even with those I'm not sure what would interest me. For right now, I'm pretty content with my life now. I don't work that many hours each week, and I can do the things I like to do. I have no problem living with my family, because we all get along. I'm not really that social, don't have many friends, and I haven't had a girlfriend yet. So I don't really have anything to motivate me. Getting my own house doesn't interest me. Most of my hobbies are relatively cheap and don't require a lot of money. I can do them by working my current minimum wage job. I also don't let anyone dictate when I do things, I do them when I want to.

It seems to me that some in this thread are jealous of the life I get to live, because they didn't get to live this life. It has to be something like that, otherwise why would you even care what 18-34 year old males are doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies