Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 09:50 AM

39 posts, read 18,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
The job market sucks especially when there are places that ask ridiculous amount for rent when it's in the worse part of town.
Yes, this, totally this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 09:52 AM

29,504 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The jobs are gone, what you expecting. There's a lack of opportunity . My nephew graduated from college - his 2 best friends got jobs overseas. He took a job, but I was shocked it was not really what my sis paid all tha college money for. Carnegie Mellon grads no where to go

I thought it was just the low paying, uneducated jobs that we bled off to third world countries ? That's what the pro globalists have been saying...

Old 01-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Hmmm let me go through the jobs that you mentioned...
Trades are hard to enter and unlike Germany, we don't incentivize it whether you talk Republican or Democrat. Trades are protected for better and worse by unions here. Germany you get good grades, companies hunt you down to put you in college, rather than you hunt down colleges and THEN companies or if you are lucky, you are hunted.
Fisherman, I grew up on Long Island where my father fished in his teenage years and when he was a millennial. Let me tell you, unless you are talking party boats or those on Deadliest Catch, there's no money in it. Plus Deadliest Catch turned people off to being fishermen.
Loggers, well remember we have far less trees due to clear-cutting than we have seen in more recent generations. Surely that wouldn't effect logging jobs...
Construction is a trade so it can be highly protected in certain areas. This is nothing new though.
Heavy equipment operation is a sub-set of construction and is highly protected in certain areas.
Railroad is fairly antiquated. Many people joke about the railroads, especially Amtrak. Myself included.
Military is worthwhile but we are ramping down active service. We are not in a state of war so we don't need as many bodies as one will think. Add on negative views towards wars since Vietnam, and I wonder why people don't want to go into the military... That said, I DO respect the Department of Defense and the military but I understand the issues.

I work pretty hard in education. I bust my ass at my job. It may not be "manly" but I do a job most people, especially men don't want to do. Hell, I do it well. My teacher and most other teachers that I work with love what I do. I also work security at a sports stadium and I do that job damn well too. So hope I am not one of those millennials that disgust you. I may have taken my time but I found my passion in helping people s a teacher or customer service.
Good post, totally right. I've known old American classmates now in Germany, raising kids there, sensible economics like this is a big draw, they respect the trades there and work to ensure their young people have work and above all, can afford the costs of living even in the big cities.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I thought it was just the low paying, uneducated jobs that we bled off to third world countries ? That's what the pro globalists have been saying...
Right you are, the globalists conveniently try to leave this part out. But with the costs of living so high in the US and all the cheap labor coming in from places like India, American graduates can't get good jobs or afford cost of living, even the "best and brightest". Leaving the US is often the best and only option nowadays, and as a bonus you don't have to fret constantly about losing your health care or going belly up from hospital costs in other countries.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
I'm fairly left leaning, and I don't buy that.

I managed to move out on my own at 19, I barely made enough to live on my own, without roommates, but I managed. Worst apartment in the most dangerous area of town, and every said I should move back in with my parents until I could afford better. But I knew what I wanted, so I made it work.

If they really wanted to make it work, they would.
With all the due respect, while one can respect your determination, your decision lacked basic economic sense if you indeed had the option of staying at home since you could have used that interim to build up your savings and afford a better and safer place to stay. I knew people who did the same you did up in SF and Silicon Valley, and it usually turned out very badly for them. A lot of young engineers got their first places in Oakland where it was cheaper and were still paying exorbitant rents. They took pride in moving out and having their "own" place (it's not "their" place, it belongs to the landlord), and on more than one occasion, they had their cars stolen or were even victims of violent crime.

One very bright engineer I knew was mugged and badly beaten up on his way home to Oakland after a long day of work. Three years of working very hard at his job, saving up his money and he had nothing to show for it-- the bills from his injuries from the mugging weren't fully covered by health insurance and totally ate up what he was saving because US health care is another pathetic joke, an utter failure. So he hardly gained independence from taking that lousy apartment when he had the option of staying at his family's home in San Jose, saving his money and not having to worry about so much crime-- he wound up broke due to the "one-two punch" of high crime and terrible healthcare coverage that plagues American workers, including the high skilled. For all the taxes Americans pay, and they're very high especially in many parts of the US especially for self employed, there should be reliable healthcare coverage at the very least, especially since crime victims are doubly victimized by the crazy health care costs. This is a big reason why the US is losing more and more of its best people.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:04 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Rent here in the Dallas area seems to increase around 10% per year.

A 1br apartment in my complex cost $700 in 2014. The current going rate is $925. Most people only receive a small 1-2% annual raise to account for inflation. So technically it's not a raise because your rent went up.

I've lived on my own since I was 18, but luckily I was able to live in cheaper college towns before I moved to Dallas.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
These unmotivated clods will be in for a horrible time when they realize they haven't saved anything for their older years.
They will be on their own. Very sad.
This post sounds clueless. You do realize Americans are living at home because they're trying to increase their savings and avoid insane housing costs, right?

Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They would rather play Xbox all day than get a job.
Yet another clueless moron post. It's about job availability, job security and costs of living being too damn high. Before my gf and I moved to Asia we knew a lot of young Americans who lived at home, not one wanted to be there but they were doing what they had to do to save money and build their savings. Economies, real simple, stop trying to complicate it with dumb sociological "explanations" like that.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:11 AM

29,504 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoJeff View Post
Right you are, the globalists conveniently try to leave this part out. But with the costs of living so high in the US and all the cheap labor coming in from places like India, American graduates can't get good jobs or afford cost of living, even the "best and brightest". Leaving the US is often the best and only option nowadays, and as a bonus you don't have to fret constantly about losing your health care or going belly up from hospital costs in other countries.

Indeed. Those that seek jobs have to do it globally, so the competition in the market expanded exponentially. Another downside to globalism.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Why do parents allow it?

My dad made me pay rent to live in our house when I came back from college and had tons of chores and stuff to pay growing up. I lived in a large brady bunch style family and was young and low on the totem pole when it came to my own room, I lived in an attic room, a glorified laundry room in the basement , and above a horse barn during my youth! lol Of course, my dad was cheap but what kind of dad wants his 18-34 year old son living at home?

I have a feeling this is alot of single moms and mothers allowing this, I just dont see too many fathers accepting this unless you are working and have a plan to get out
Probably because the parents want the kids to be able to save up enough and move out, and "charging rent" at home would defeat that purpose. Every young American I knew stuck at home, wanted to save up and move out as soon as possible. It's funny that the moralizers and "lazy kids!" finger pointers on this board are the delusional ones. Look at stagnant wages. Then look at exploding costs of living across the US. There's your answer right there. Kids and adults are moving back home to build their savings so they can later move out. Really, really simple so stop complicating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies