Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,804 times

Advertisements

Fake news!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Plenty of Millennials would love to get from under their parents' roof, but they would have to sell drugs to do it.
I didn't...

Many of my friends didn't either...

If Trumps tax plan is to cut the taxes from businesses down to 15% as proposed, I'll start my own business and hang up working in dealers and I'll pay that 15 dollars per hour that they seek. No college degree required.
They're going to work for that 15 an hour though... Can't keep up with my pace, cya!

Old 01-21-2017, 07:52 AM

421 posts, read 205,151 times
They don't call it the "mancession" for nothing, I've also noticed that majority of women were largely unaffected by the Obama economy Maybe the wives of men who got laid off - assuming they were SAHMs, but that's about the only group I can think of.

Women have an easier time finding roommates too if you think about it, and of course there are always women that simply go from boyfriend to boyfriend in "free rent" arrangements. So even without employment or money a woman typically has no issues finding housing. On the other hand, a young man without employment is either going to be homeless or stuck living at home.

It's interesting that no one talks about the long-term consequences of so many slacker or unemployed young men. Women are constantly complaining about men not wanting to get married, but honestly WHO will they get married to if their potential future husband is chronically unemployed or stuck working low-pay part time jobs?? Liberals obviously didn't think that one through very well when passing all those taxes/anti-male laws

Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I didn't...

Many of my friends didn't either...

If Trumps tax plan is to cut the taxes from businesses down to 15% as proposed, I'll start my own business and hang up working in dealers and I'll pay that 15 dollars per hour that they seek. No college degree required.
They're going to work for that 15 an hour though... Can't keep up with my pace, cya!
Sounds like you and your friends had a smoother start in life than many of us. $15/hr sounds great. It's too bad that almost no employer is paying that right now. I know plenty of twentysomethings that would happily bust their ass for that kind of money.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
They don't call it the "mancession" for nothing, I've also noticed that majority of women were largely unaffected by the Obama economy Maybe the wives of men who got laid off - assuming they were SAHMs, but that's about the only group I can think of.

Women have an easier time finding roommates too if you think about it, and of course there are always women that simply go from boyfriend to boyfriend in "free rent" arrangements. So even without employment or money a woman typically has no issues finding housing. On the other hand, a young man without employment is either going to be homeless or stuck living at home.

It's interesting that no one talks about the long-term consequences of so many slacker or unemployed young men. Women are constantly complaining about men not wanting to get married, but honestly WHO will they get married to if their potential future husband is chronically unemployed or stuck working low-pay part time jobs?? Liberals obviously didn't think that one through very well when passing all those taxes/anti-male laws
My ex from this time about four years ago wanted to move out before I had a job lived up yet I submitted resume after resume after resume; submitted endless online applications; and went to as many job fairs as possible. She wanted out of her house. She thought we could swing it on Wal-Mart wages like if I got a job at a gas station or retail vacation. This shows how delusional people think it is with a job, Any job. Plus she was going to school. I don't even know if she finished because last I heard, she was still working at Wal-Mart...

Old 01-21-2017, 08:35 AM

273 posts, read 201,512 times
Eh. There's little reason for me to move out. I live in a nice large house with mom and dad. Why downsize?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Sounds like you and your friends had a smoother start in life than many of us. $15/hr sounds great. It's too bad that almost no employer is paying that right now. I know plenty of twentysomethings that would happily bust their ass for that kind of money.
Not really. I have 2 friends who are truck drivers and own multiple trucks and hired other guys to do local short runs...they never completed highschool either. Have one who was born and raised in the hood-bad part of Poughkeepsie joined he Air Force, came out tinkering with computers and doing real estate as well... I've got 7 friends my age that clear 100k a year, out of the hundreds of our graduating class.

I didn't sit at home on video games after school, nor did homework unless football season...I worked.
Contrary to popular belief, not every single one of us, but a damn good majority are lazy and entitled.
All about using your eyes ears and hands...

Problem is those 20 something's aren't going to bust their back for 15 an hour, they'd rather it come from flipping burgers and stocking shelves... They aren't going to haul shingles up on a roof in the summer sun or -0 conditions, I don't see them fixing broken water pipes from freezing either. Look at your electric company that fixes broken lines/transformers... They aren't young bucks. All 40-50year old dudes from what I saw in NY and down here in Florida...

Face it, They aren't going to do manual labor. Which is fine. More work for me and many like me.
Somehow that big degree is supposed to cure life's problems and give you some advantage in life... No not really...

There are opportunities out there, no denying employers wanting big degrees and years of hands on experience...
My theory stands, older generations benefit from this, less competition in job markets if you require a big degree and 3-5 years hands on experience relative to that field. Way around it? Get into skilled trades start from the bottom, pay attention, ask questions, and do it, regardless how hot it is outside, how cold it is outside. Countless times I've skinned my knuckles to the bone I don't stop. Hands were bleeding yesterday. Back is sore but if you ignore the pain and push through you'll make it. Too many wimps cry over a stubbed toe act like their foot is broken.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:38 AM

273 posts, read 201,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Yet women typically get a great deal out of it and don't have to suffer near as drastic negative consequences. One reason men are refusing to get married. You pay a lot just being married as it is and if it doesn't work out he's left holding the bag while she gets to live her life fine.

Notice how despite how bad the economy is women don't seem to have near as much trouble finding work or other ways to live, whereas men struggle significantly more. Yeah, the patriarchy is sure working out well for us.
So true. The whole relationship deal is very biased against men. It's the man that often has to make the first move. Can't stand that culture.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Not really. I have 2 friends who are truck drivers and own multiple trucks and hired other guys to do local short runs...they never completed highschool either. Have one who was born and raised in the hood-bad part of Poughkeepsie joined he Air Force, came out tinkering with computers and doing real estate as well... I've got 7 friends my age that clear 100k a year, out of the hundreds of our graduating class.

I didn't sit at home on video games after school, nor did homework unless football season...I worked.
Contrary to popular belief, not every single one of us, but a damn good majority are lazy and entitled.
All about using your eyes ears and hands...

Problem is those 20 something's aren't going to bust their back for 15 an hour, they'd rather it come from flipping burgers and stocking shelves... They aren't going to haul shingles up on a roof in the summer sun or -0 conditions, I don't see them fixing broken water pipes from freezing either. Look at your electric company that fixes broken lines/transformers... They aren't young bucks. All 40-50year old dudes from what I saw in NY and down here in Florida...

Face it, They aren't going to do manual labor. Which is fine. More work for me and many like me.
Somehow that big degree is supposed to cure life's problems and give you some advantage in life... No not really...

There are opportunities out there, no denying employers wanting big degrees and years of hands on experience...
My theory stands, older generations benefit from this, less competition in job markets if you require a big degree and 3-5 years hands on experience relative to that field. Way around it? Get into skilled trades start from the bottom, pay attention, ask questions, and do it, regardless how hot it is outside, how cold it is outside. Countless times I've skinned my knuckles to the bone I don't stop. Hands were bleeding yesterday. Back is sore but if you ignore the pain and push through you'll make it. Too many wimps cry over a stubbed toe act like their foot is broken.
I'm not sure who's supposed to be impressed with these anecdotes, but it isn't me. I've had the aches and the pains that come with all the hard work I could handle. I've gone from being a homeowner to homeless and back again. Try teaching yourself how to be a man in this world without someone named "Dad" to help you do it. Now add racism to all of that, then come back and tell me how hard you've had it.

I said that I know plenty of people our age that would happily work hard for 15/hr and that's just what I meant. I haven't played video games since high school, so you certainly aren't talking about me or anyone I'm considering.

But it does sound like you may place too high a value on back breaking work. That's not good for your health.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 01-21-2017 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
My ex from this time about four years ago wanted to move out before I had a job lived up yet I submitted resume after resume after resume; submitted endless online applications; and went to as many job fairs as possible. She wanted out of her house. She thought we could swing it on Wal-Mart wages like if I got a job at a gas station or retail vacation. This shows how delusional people think it is with a job, Any job. Plus she was going to school. I don't even know if she finished because last I heard, she was still working at Wal-Mart...
Haha I've got an ex who went to college got a big fancy degree, 130k in school debt she makes 13.50 an hour as a social worker... But she's got that big degree though! Fights I had with her... She was capable of so much more, very bright girl and quite ambitious... I wanted her to join me in flipping houses back in NY. She put her bedroom together at her parents house herself, tongue and groove hardwood floors, trim/crown moulding, paint. (She added glitter to the paint mixed it with a drill and when the light came in, her walls were glistening it was neat almost like metal flake paint on a car) bathroom she did herself short of the shower/tub and toilet. Her dad and I did the walls, back splash and counter top, and the plumbing. She painted it and put the tile down on the floor and the fancy tile designs on the walls. Very fancy.

She didn't want anything to do with that... Despite enjoying doing it, she didn't want to do that... Business minor and some other classes plus psych major courses... She's another one of those well college should be free or subsidized with tax money to be more affordable... She put the cart before the horse.

If she joined me and split 50/50 she wouldn't have had to go to college. We'd probably be married and I wouldn't be up to my elbows in grease anymore... Flip a couple houses together get real estate license, hire an accountant, then hire a crew of laborers and would never have to lift a finger ever again... Do home repairs as well as fix and flip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies