Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 09:35 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times

Advertisements

Seems some people are mad because people are not living the way they think people should live at a certain age. Where does it say you have to live anywhere at a certain age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerfolda View Post
They can't earn enough to live on their own. It's one reason why lots of people in Davos should be talking about how to avert a war of some kind. We're headed toward massive violence if this isn't addressed.
I disagree.

They live with their parents because they have their own room and a full fridge without paying for it.

They get free laundry facilities, free cable and internet.

They get all the sex they want without being married because their boyfriend/girlfriend is mooching of the parents too.

They are on their parents health insurance without paying a dime.

They may have a part time job and spend all their money on vacations and the latest phone.

I know this because I had one just like that at home up until last year.

I told her she had to move out or pay me for everything: room, board, cable, internet, laundry and health insurance. She was gone in 30 days. She can fly on her own-I did my job.

If you put a boot up their rear end, they move.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:51 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerfolda View Post
I challenge you to live in the middle Kansas and do the same.

And there's the rub, there are two Americas. An urban with some level of income, and a rural class dying. The rural class elected Trump they are so bad off.

I don't say it lightly, nor wish it, but we (as in the west) are headed for a showdown and it won't be pretty.
I have driven through Kansas.

There is no life there. There is nothing.

Not my problem if they don't want to move to get ahead in life.

Their ancestors did it. They can do it too

Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 PM

421 posts, read 205,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Only problem is, moving to a different place/city usually requires a job (for either apartment or a mortgage), which these kinds of young men don't have

The only other option is "roommates" as those just care about money and not employment status. But honestly? Is THAT what this country has come to?? Living with freakin' STRANGERS because the economy is so crappy?!?

That doesn't sound like America at all, there was a time in America not too long ago where even a min wage worker could afford an independent life with his/her own 1 bed apartment.... but that same min wage worker would never survive on their own in 2017. Bernie was right about this one, at least.

At least if they are living at home they don't have to worry about danger or crimes Is living with TOTAL STRANGERS what this country has come to, Liberals?? Are you "proud" of this economic state of affairs?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Tradesmen
Fishermen
Loggers
Construction
Heavy equipment operators
Railroad (any aspect)
Military

Etc
Etc
Etc

I'm 29 and disgusted by my fellow millennial men. They want it all for free with no effort without getting dirty and working for it.

Graduating college with house money student loan debt isn't always for everyone .
Hmmm let me go through the jobs that you mentioned...
Trades are hard to enter and unlike Germany, we don't incentivize it whether you talk Republican or Democrat. Trades are protected for better and worse by unions here. Germany you get good grades, companies hunt you down to put you in college, rather than you hunt down colleges and THEN companies or if you are lucky, you are hunted.
Fisherman, I grew up on Long Island where my father fished in his teenage years and when he was a millennial. Let me tell you, unless you are talking party boats or those on Deadliest Catch, there's no money in it. Plus Deadliest Catch turned people off to being fishermen.
Loggers, well remember we have far less trees due to clear-cutting than we have seen in more recent generations. Surely that wouldn't effect logging jobs...
Construction is a trade so it can be highly protected in certain areas. This is nothing new though.
Heavy equipment operation is a sub-set of construction and is highly protected in certain areas.
Railroad is fairly antiquated. Many people joke about the railroads, especially Amtrak. Myself included.
Military is worthwhile but we are ramping down active service. We are not in a state of war so we don't need as many bodies as one will think. Add on negative views towards wars since Vietnam, and I wonder why people don't want to go into the military... That said, I DO respect the Department of Defense and the military but I understand the issues.

I work pretty hard in education. I bust my ass at my job. It may not be "manly" but I do a job most people, especially men don't want to do. Hell, I do it well. My teacher and most other teachers that I work with love what I do. I also work security at a sports stadium and I do that job damn well too. So hope I am not one of those millennials that disgust you. I may have taken my time but I found my passion in helping people s a teacher or customer service.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
thanks to social media women have many more options today... our genetics drives women to want to mate with the "bad boys" and have a lot of "fun" with edgy sort of guys who are very experienced with women.. thanks to social media these men hook up with these women easily, and you have a relatively small pool of men having sex with mass numbers of women, many of these women having kids out of wedlock and raising them on their own, with government assistance.

Rather than try to find a nice provider guy to settle down with, they'd rather keep having their fun and going out clubbing and with friends, etc. and getting all the bad boys because it's more emotionally stimulating and because they can.

Life is not fair for you beta provider type guys who might be a little shy, and not that exciting to be around. You may make good money but if you don't have a sense of humor, confidence, and edginess, you won't get very far with women.

This leads to more people of both sexes living perhaps with parents, or without a significant other that's stable in their life.. because the type of men who really turn women on, don't make good husbands, and why would they want to be ... many of them can get any woman they want and have a hungry sexual appetite.

Gender roles seem to have reversed as well.. the things women complained about men doing back 30 years ago now the men complain about women doing... here's an interesting take on millennials..

http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/media/play/26936669/

Disclaimer: All of the above are gross generalizations, which merely means it's true more often than not. Not all women are attracted to bad boys, not all beta provider types end up alone. It's simply a trend that is increasing over time.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Bwahahaha and when I say you have to be a complete idiot to jump head first into college to bury yourself into debt without obtaining skills or a trade (burger flipping doesn't count) prior to make a decent income to support themselves, I'm the bad guy... Oh man you are going to be HATED for that one!

I followed that same logic you suggest... Why stay and be miserable in NY? Texas or Florida...

There was nothing for a 6 figure career in the little hick town I lived in unless you owned your own business...
But I'm an opportunist and a realist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why are you in a pis_ing contest against people with degrees when they aren't a pis_sing contest against you? Just do what you like but why try to take a dig at someone else that chose a different career path and chose to get a degree?

Everyone has different likes/dislikes/skills/talents/strengths/weaknesses. Quit looking over your shoulder trying to out-do the other person that took the college route.
^example

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Hmmm let me go through the jobs that you mentioned...
Trades are hard to enter and unlike Germany, we don't incentivize it whether you talk Republican or Democrat. Trades are protected for better and worse by unions here. Germany you get good grades, companies hunt you down to put you in college, rather than you hunt down colleges and THEN companies or if you are lucky, you are hunted.
Fisherman, I grew up on Long Island where my father fished in his teenage years and when he was a millennial. Let me tell you, unless you are talking party boats or those on Deadliest Catch, there's no money in it. Plus Deadliest Catch turned people off to being fishermen.
Loggers, well remember we have far less trees due to clear-cutting than we have seen in more recent generations. Surely that wouldn't effect logging jobs...
Construction is a trade so it can be highly protected in certain areas. This is nothing new though.
Heavy equipment operation is a sub-set of construction and is highly protected in certain areas.
Railroad is fairly antiquated. Many people joke about the railroads, especially Amtrak. Myself included.
Military is worthwhile but we are ramping down active service. We are not in a state of war so we don't need as many bodies as one will think. Add on negative views towards wars since Vietnam, and I wonder why people don't want to go into the military... That said, I DO respect the Department of Defense and the military but I understand the issues.

I work pretty hard in education. I bust my ass at my job. It may not be "manly" but I do a job most people, especially men don't want to do. Hell, I do it well. My teacher and most other teachers that I work with love what I do. I also work security at a sports stadium and I do that job damn well too. So hope I am not one of those millennials that disgust you. I may have taken my time but I found my passion in helping people s a teacher or customer service.
Not always bro.
It's very easy to enter many trades. Do plan on being at the very bottom of the totem pole. But if you take initiative, ask questions show a desire to learn, that's how you'll get ahead in those fields...
When I got involved in trades as a teenager, it was usually a friends father or uncle who owned/ran a business in that trade. Act interested in it ask if I can help, move up, move up quick. Not many people today can read a micrometer, let alone a ruler... (How I got into racing-best friend in middle school his father owned a body shop, old machinist who did lead body work on hot rods, and restored engines for a numbers matching car) got me interested in engines. Spent more time hanging with that old dude than my friend.

Not about what's manly. It's about what you get satisfaction out of, most importantly pays-Insecure about something? Don't be. I couldn't be a teacher... Props. I was a teachers worst nightmare my penance would be 10 fold...

What I don't agree with is falling hook line and sinker as if college is the end all be all and the answer to all of life's problems. It's not. Does no good if you don't have a career to pay for it...

Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
thanks to social media women have many more options today... our genetics drives women to want to mate with the "bad boys" and have a lot of "fun" with edgy sort of guys who are very experienced with women.. thanks to social media these men hook up with these women easily, and you have a relatively small pool of men having sex with mass numbers of women, many of these women having kids out of wedlock and raising them on their own, with government assistance.

Rather than try to find a nice provider guy to settle down with, they'd rather keep having their fun and going out clubbing and with friends, etc. and getting all the bad boys because it's more emotionally stimulating and because they can.

Life is not fair for you beta provider type guys who might be a little shy, and not that exciting to be around. You may make good money but if you don't have a sense of humor, confidence, and edginess, you won't get very far with women.

This leads to more people of both sexes living perhaps with parents, or without a significant other that's stable in their life.. because the type of men who really turn women on, don't make good husbands, and why would they want to be ... many of them can get any woman they want and have a hungry sexual appetite.

Gender roles seem to have reversed as well.. the things women complained about men doing back 30 years ago now the men complain about women doing... here's an interesting take on millennials..

Stream Mark's Series on the Millennials - PART 1 Free | News/Talk 1130 WISN

Disclaimer: All of the above are gross generalizations, which merely means it's true more often than not. Not all women are attracted to bad boys, not all beta provider types end up alone. It's simply a trend that is increasing over time.
Oh you're talking about lot lizards and party chicks! Nah I'm good. Especially if she doesn't know how to cook...
I enjoy being single. And I'm not about to risk my future or health for a gift that keeps on giving. No way. No Ghonnaclapherpesyphilaids or worse a kid.

Nope couldn't pay me enough. Especially if they have a kid. Get it all the time, go out with my brother in law and sister get out of the truck or off the bike. Nice truck!/Nice Harley!

Sure I'll chat them up, soon as they ask wana buy me a drink. I know exactly where this is going... Nope. Tell ya what. How about you buy me a drink, and if I like where it goes I'll buy rounds all night long.
Falcon punch get a look like I have 3 heads. Bye Felicia! Hehe.

The best is when they really think they're something special... Oh sure they're nice to look at. But they've got one intention in mind. Don't stoop to that level.
I have ridiculously high standards, a pretty face and hourglass body nice long legs, dime a dozen down here. Going to take a lot more than eye candy to get my attention and when they want to come home with me, nope. I'll tell them to call a cab I'm going home.
No single mothers.
No outstanding debts.
If no college degree must be able to cook and not just pasta or a PB+J sand which.
If no means to provide at least be in college full time.
Keep a clean car, if her ride mimics the inside of a garbage truck chances are she's nothing more than a party pig with no self esteem and carries mental issues associated.

Alpha male-doesn't need another notch on the bed post. Quality over quantity. Nothing's funnier than seeing a chick get LIVID because you wouldn't pay any attention to them. For a real laugh go chat up the fatty and watch the reaction-PRICELESS!
Beta male-is just a shy/polite dude who either came from a traditional/chivalrous upbringing.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Not always bro.
It's very easy to enter many trades. Do plan on being at the very bottom of the totem pole. But if you take initiative, ask questions show a desire to learn, that's how you'll get ahead in those fields...
When I got involved in trades as a teenager, it was usually a friends father or uncle who owned/ran a business in that trade. Act interested in it ask if I can help, move up, move up quick. Not many people today can read a micrometer, let alone a ruler... (How I got into racing-best friend in middle school his father owned a body shop, old machinist who did lead body work on hot rods, and restored engines for a numbers matching car) got me interested in engines. Spent more time hanging with that old dude than my friend.

Not about what's manly. It's about what you get satisfaction out of, most importantly pays-Insecure about something? Don't be. I couldn't be a teacher... Props. I was a teachers worst nightmare my penance would be 10 fold...

What I don't agree with is falling hook line and sinker as if college is the end all be all and the answer to all of life's problems. It's not. Does no good if you don't have a career to pay for it...
I think that there is an issue of reading things today. Partially because we aren't really taught do things by paper but rather the fast, easy way. It's nothing new. I'm 29 and after we learned how to do say algebra on the scientific calculator rather than doing paper. Honestly I didn't unless I knew it wasn't a fast answer. Like say an X=2, X=-2 answer.

That said often it isn't as easy to pull your way up rather than your connections of a father's friend or uncle. Try getting in on the bottom floor with no connections and tell me that is easy

I agree that we need to get away from college but sadly we have issues. At one event, I had a guy actually tell me "You're smart, why are you doing this job (referring to me being security.) It's an issue of not enough jobs despite "qualified candidates." We have too many in lower wage jobs yet jobs that pay more are hurting to find people yet the pipeline wont really let people in...

Old 01-20-2017, 12:00 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,799 times
One of the main problems facing millennials is lack of real leadership among their ranks. The social hierarchy within gaming and social media in general never really carries over to the real world. Gaming etc. so embedded in the minds of this age group is an antidote to the dreary existence of work, life and even love. Has there even been a time whereby older generations would not trade their advancing years to be part of a younger generation. This is that time. Nobody envies millennials in the slightest.

We will eventually hold up millennials as the prime example of the damage done by the relentless assault of social media and gaming. Maybe Facebook will be around decades from now, so the millenials can post pictures of their sick and tired bodies, well before old age sets in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies