Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 12:01 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,734 times

Advertisements

Other people's lifestyle choices don't concern me.

I don't know why the boomers are so infuriated by what young people are doing. Your own family should be your focus. What other families do is their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 12:38 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
Only problem is, moving to a different place/city usually requires a job (for either apartment or a mortgage), which these kinds of young men don't have

The only other option is "roommates" as those just care about money and not employment status. But honestly? Is THAT what this country has come to?? Living with freakin' STRANGERS because the economy is so crappy?!?

That doesn't sound like America at all, there was a time in America not too long ago where even a min wage worker could afford an independent life with his/her own 1 bed apartment.... but that same min wage worker would never survive on their own in 2017. Bernie was right about this one, at least.

At least if they are living at home they don't have to worry about danger or crimes Is living with TOTAL STRANGERS what this country has come to, Liberals?? Are you "proud" of this economic state of affairs?
Moving to a new place doesn't require a job. I've done it twice.

When I joined the service I was in an open barracks with like 50 other strangers.

A 1 bedroom apt? Really? Try an efficiency with "furniture" from goodwill.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
One of the main problems facing millennials is lack of real leadership among their ranks. The social hierarchy within gaming and social media in general never really carries over to the real world. Gaming etc. so embedded in the minds of this age group is an antidote to the dreary existence of work, life and even love. Has there even been a time whereby older generations would not trade their advancing years to be part of a younger generation. This is that time. Nobody envies millennials in the slightest.

We will eventually hold up millennials as the prime example of the damage done by the relentless assault of social media and gaming. Maybe Facebook will be around decades from now, so the millenials can post pictures of their sick and tired bodies, well before old age sets in.
BWAHAHAHAHA that's the best thing I've ever read about my generation ever! Can't give you enough rep points! Bwahahaha Facebook bwahahahahaha.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:22 AM

63 posts, read 91,974 times
The job market sucks especially when there are places that ask ridiculous amount for rent when it's in the worse part of town.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
REALLY?

Millenial young men have been around for 130 (or more) years? Who would have thought! So 130+ years ago, that would have been 1887 and before, they would have lived with their spouse?

Okay, seeing how the OP probably meant that young men of the millenial generation live like this as oppose to young men of other generations, what to say but things can change over time.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:11 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I disagree.

They live with their parents because they have their own room and a full fridge without paying for it.

They get free laundry facilities, free cable and internet.

They get all the sex they want without being married because their boyfriend/girlfriend is mooching of the parents too.

They are on their parents health insurance without paying a dime.

They may have a part time job and spend all their money on vacations and the latest phone.

I know this because I had one just like that at home up until last year.

I told her she had to move out or pay me for everything: room, board, cable, internet, laundry and health insurance. She was gone in 30 days. She can fly on her own-I did my job.

If you put a boot up their rear end, they move.
It is interesting how people throw out assumptions like this with no facts and expect people to accept it because they said it. The only way you would know this is true is if you knew all the people who lived at home but you don't.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
Only problem is, moving to a different place/city usually requires a job (for either apartment or a mortgage), which these kinds of young men don't have

The only other option is "roommates" as those just care about money and not employment status. But honestly? Is THAT what this country has come to?? Living with freakin' STRANGERS because the economy is so crappy?!?

That doesn't sound like America at all, there was a time in America not too long ago where even a min wage worker could afford an independent life with his/her own 1 bed apartment.... but that same min wage worker would never survive on their own in 2017. Bernie was right about this one, at least.

At least if they are living at home they don't have to worry about danger or crimes Is living with TOTAL STRANGERS what this country has come to, Liberals?? Are you "proud" of this economic state of affairs?

Roommates is and has been the norm when starting out since the sixties, when young people started living away from home. It a good learning and growth experience and teaches you how to compromise and get along with different people. It is the opposite of being catered to by mommy and daddy and a good life lesson. It also provides you with a lifetime of interesting stories.

I do have issue that people with good paying stable jobs cannot afford to live alone in some areas but just starting out, roommates situation is fine.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:49 AM

421 posts, read 205,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Roommates is and has been the norm when starting out since the sixties, when young people started living away from home. It a good learning and growth experience and teaches you how to compromise and get along with different people. It is the opposite of being catered to by mommy and daddy and a good life lesson. It also provides you with a lifetime of interesting stories.

I do have issue that people with good paying stable jobs cannot afford to live alone in some areas but just starting out, roommates situation is fine.
This is the problem right here^, a person with a good paying job should NOT need "help" (either from parents or the government) to live on his/her own

Cost-of-living is just so UNREASONABLY high in most of the country versus the low-paying jobs actually available.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:36 AM

516 posts, read 429,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Hmmm let me go through the jobs that you mentioned...
Trades are hard to enter and unlike Germany, we don't incentivize it whether you talk Republican or Democrat. Trades are protected for better and worse by unions here. Germany you get good grades, companies hunt you down to put you in college, rather than you hunt down colleges and THEN companies or if you are lucky, you are hunted.
Fisherman, I grew up on Long Island where my father fished in his teenage years and when he was a millennial. Let me tell you, unless you are talking party boats or those on Deadliest Catch, there's no money in it. Plus Deadliest Catch turned people off to being fishermen.
Loggers, well remember we have far less trees due to clear-cutting than we have seen in more recent generations. Surely that wouldn't effect logging jobs...
Construction is a trade so it can be highly protected in certain areas. This is nothing new though.
Heavy equipment operation is a sub-set of construction and is highly protected in certain areas.
Railroad is fairly antiquated. Many people joke about the railroads, especially Amtrak. Myself included.
Military is worthwhile but we are ramping down active service. We are not in a state of war so we don't need as many bodies as one will think. Add on negative views towards wars since Vietnam, and I wonder why people don't want to go into the military... That said, I DO respect the Department of Defense and the military but I understand the issues.

I work pretty hard in education. I bust my ass at my job. It may not be "manly" but I do a job most people, especially men don't want to do. Hell, I do it well. My teacher and most other teachers that I work with love what I do. I also work security at a sports stadium and I do that job damn well too. So hope I am not one of those millennials that disgustyou. I may have taken my time but I found my passion in helping people s a teacher or customer service.
You make strong points, however I highly disagree with your saying trades are protected. Are you referring to nepotism? If so, then yes, you are right on a certain level.

Railroads are far far far from being antiquated. Remember, the majority of the goods in America that you buy in store shelves are brought there by rail from the ports not just by semi truck.

Referring to deadliest catch in comparison to the fishing industry is like referring to our current president as a reality TV star. Sure Trump was at one point on TV with his own show, sure the deadliest catch is focused greatly on the Bering Sea & gulf of Alaska fishing industry. That does not encompass the entire world fishing industry and perspective on it.

Loggers- OK being from the "country", I can tell you firsthand that the logging industry is also far from being dead. Definitely not the hustling bustle in trade that it once was a few decades ago but it still going. My dad owns two semi trucks, One that he drives over the road during peak months, the other is a logging truck he drives during logging peak months. He makes very good money.

Now I also have respect for those who choose to pursue college education and and subsequent lifestyle following. You say you work your butt off in education, I respect that. I'm glad there are educators who have dedicated their lives to broadening others knowledge.

My main point is the fact that a lot of young men today don't even consider trades or jobs in my previous posts. Small, corney example is my 20-year-old younger cousin told me that he would rather sit in front of a computer and make a living than go do actual "physical" work for an income. He said so whilst working at Walmart, needless to say, he still works there and still lives with his mom.... now age 24.

Another young male family member chose to go into the trades and joined the IBEW apprenticeship. Now he's a journeyman industrial electrician. Owns his own home and I'm going to be his best man at his wedding this summer.

Attitude is everything.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM

39 posts, read 18,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

I wonder if gaming and growing up with computers and social media has really made socializing into adults much harder.
It has nothing to do with that-- it's basic economics, young Americans and young men in particular aren't making enough money to afford their own pads, even very highly paid professionals. Costs of living in the USA have utterly exploded while salaries have been stagnant or gone down, student loans pose an extra burden and health care costs in the US are beyond insane. There's no money left over to get a home let alone start a family, and on top of that there's no job security in America so even high skilled Americans are constantly in and out of jobs and losing their health insurance in between, it's too risky to buy a home. Rents in states like California, Massachusetts or New York can run to over $3,000 for a lousy 1-br apt., a "starter" home well over $1 million yet it's not easy to move out of the cities there because the jobs aren't readily available elsewhere for professionals.
This is why lots of young Asian-Americans are moving back to Asia, or many even going to Europe, Aus or places like Chile or Argentina like we've been talking about in another thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...migrating.html
It isn't just living at home, like they pointed out there the birth rate in the US is in freefall especially in California when you add childcare and education costs on top of the housing lunacy.
Let's be honest about it here, America in practical terms is no longer the land of opportunity. If even hard working professionals can't afford basics like housing and healthcare, all the talk of opportunity is a joke. Even high incomes don't mean much when you compare them to living costs, and of course with all the job churn, those high-income jobs are constantly being outsourced to places like India or American workers are displaced by an H1b worker who'll work on the cheap.

With this in mind, Americans are living at home because it makes economic sense, they're doing what they have to do to save up money. I don't understand why some posters try to dredge up these dumb sociological explanations like "young Americans are too much into gaming". While there may be some of that, simple economics explains it 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies