Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No one knows what it will be, but we know the Congress has already decided to spend an additional $9 trillion which we do not have. Unless they change it, it can only mean we are cutting in one place, and adding spending in other places and the net out come is an addition of $9 trillion in debt.
The Impoundment Act of 1974 allows the President to go back to congress and request that any amount not be spent. i.e. Just because it was approved, doesn't mean it will be spent.

The President also has wide discretion to cut waste and fat inside of federal agencies that report up to his cabinet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump's team will ensure that the oil and gas companies get richer and his billionaire buddies pad their pockets. Americans can plan to breathe more polluted air in the future and watch as sea levels rise and put private and public properties at risk of being eroded away by rising waters due to global warming. We'll watch coral reefs die off and more plants and animals become endangered and extinct. All in the name of Big Oil. Drain the swamp? Nope.

Those little yellow labels on products that identify EnergyStar efficiency, and related rating number? I use that to make purchasing decisions on electric appliances such as AC units, fridge, oven, etc. I guess that will go away. Then companies can make non-efficient products and we wouldn't be able to comparison shop if we want to buy something energy efficient (so consumers can buy a product which saves them money on their electric bill). Nope, the GOP wants people buy energy hog products so that we indirectly support higher energy consumption(we pay higher electric bill) so billionaires can get richer.

...eliminate the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and scrap the Office of Fossil Energy, which focuses on technologies to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Paris Climate Change Agreement and the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are candidates for elimination.
There are a couple of dept that could be eliminated. What is wrong with that?

Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
The fact is we can't have everything we want, cuts are going to happen.
Yes. I'm glad you get it

We actually have things people don't want. How about starting with those?

Justice & Law Enforcment? I am sure we all want that?

Foreign relations? I am sure we want that?

Military? Yes, we want it, but the question is how much is enough. We have tripled military spending recently.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:28 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,533,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Aren't you happy that Trump will be president in 1 day 55 minutes?
Had he had the courage to run as an (I) and take down both major parties I would've been happy to see it, as it is, WHY should I be happy that just another political hack ascends to the presidency?

Old 01-19-2017, 09:28 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,704,726 times
Quote:
Major cuts to Justice and State departments...

That's law enforcement and national security, the two areas which the Constitution mandates to government to maintain.

Those departments are very important and do not have large budgets, so it does not seem like they are picking the right places to cut.

Like I said before, I don't think Congress will be on board with this.
There are about one third of the government house democrats that don't want to be involved in the system. The don't support the process and want to stay home. They won't be on board with anything that separates their butt from the couch.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,704,726 times
Quote:
Read your earlier childish comment, and grow up.
Stand by every word of it.
Liberals are having prolonged tantrums in childish fashion trying to deal with their loss. They thought they could hide behind mommy's skirt for life. Striped naked of their protection they cry for a diaper change but that job has been outsourced. So now they rip the diaper off and crap on everything that is good for the country and call it being progressive.

Trump is going to cut and gut the government and rebuild it to function for the better as an instrument for the people. Long over due.

Last edited by phma; 01-19-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:
Major cuts to Justice and State departments...

That's law enforcement and national security, the two areas which the Constitution mandates to government to maintain.
It mandates they protect our borders, not the borders of countless other countries. There is a ton we can and should cut here.

Quote:
Those departments are very important and do not have large budgets, so it does not seem like they are picking the right places to cut.

Like I said before, I don't think Congress will be on board with this.
Congress wont be on board. It will be interesting to see what the people do in 2018.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Had he had the courage to run as an (I) and take down both major parties I would've been happy to see it, as it is, WHY should I be happy that just another political hack ascends to the presidency?
Bernie ran as a (D) and helped take the legs out from under the (D) party. If Trump can do the same, great.

It's unlikely that Trump and a GOP Congress will get along. While I may not side with Trump on many things and didn't vote for him, I still hope he wins this battle.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,533,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bernie ran as a (D) and helped take the legs out from under the (D) party. If Trump can do the same, great.

It's unlikely that Trump and a GOP Congress will get along. While I may not side with Trump on many things and didn't vote for him, I still hope he wins this battle.
He's been so unspecific with many of his 'plans', how do you even know what the battle is?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He's been so unspecific with many of his 'plans', how do you even know what the battle is?
Its been noted here a few times. The GOP Congress has said that they were going to bury us further in debt. Trump has said he was going to cut.

Not that hard to see a clash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies