Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times

Advertisements

I can see Russia from my "president"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Seattle had protests against the Iraq War the entire time. Trump protests will likely be pretty standard here.
I hope their resumes can explain felony arrests.

Welcome to Trump’s America: Felony riot charges against inauguration protesters signal alarming wave of repression - Salon.com

Old 01-23-2017, 07:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
That's Washington D.C. We're about 3000 miles west.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
That's Washington D.C. We're about 3000 miles west.
It's a federal arrest. Seattle is a city in the state of Washington which is one of the 50 states in the Union.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 PM

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2102

Old 01-23-2017, 08:01 PM

269 posts, read 297,768 times
Quote:
The sign says there is nothing wrong with being female and that's wrong - how? In over 200 years, there has never been a female president. Not one ever, even though there are more women than men in this country. Women were not able to apply for credit cards until 1974. Teaching a daughter that women have opportunity is a good thing.

There is something very bizarre about the perception of a female president in this country. While Hillary was running, the attacks on her appearance were relentless. She was old, a hag, fat, wrinkled, had cankles, her hair was flat, she wore pantsuits, it was all about her appearance. Trump was older and fatter but that didn't matter. And the people most often attacking her appearance were other women - women with no self awareness, either. We have sons, but if we had a daughter I would want her to know there is opportunity. And that other countries have had female leaders for a long time, it's just the United States that seems to have difficulty with the concept. I look forward to the day when the United States has their own Nicola Sturgeon to represent them, though I'm starting to doubt it will be in our lifetimes.

Seacove: (* note: I did catch the part about your having {only} sons)

How many sculptures of a naked Hilary Clinton did you see during the 2016 campaign??

(Trump's appearance has surely been harshly critiqued far more often along this path than has Hilary's) (I saw a sign during the march that said: "Less Orange, More Pink" ) (how many marchers were mocking Hilary's appearance?)

There is nothing wrong with being female... but when you build your (collective) daughter's hopes up that somebody will become president just/only because she is female, and then the daughter is crestfallen with disappointment when she awakens the next morning, it's your fault for not pointing out the multitude of giant flaws in the candidate on which you pinned your daughter's hopes.

If you want to march or take a stand as women in general, then fine... but the only reason this march randomly (I'm sure) landed on January 21, 2017 was to coincide with the inauguration a day earlier. Why have such a march in the middle of winter, when a late spring day would be so much more suitable for nearly everyone?

Everyone knows that we as a society want young women to stand up for themselves (at least eventually)... but right now they are their parents' responsibility. To connect this march (seemingly about women standing up for themselves ) with the international poster child for women who won't stand-up for themselves is oxymoronic on your best days.

How about parents select female role models who got somewhere in life for reasons other than their husbands' names?

Hilary ran on an experience platform, but she has held just one single elected office in her life (like Trump, now). Hers was cherry-picked and timed so that she could cash-in on her husband's name. Trump, by contrast, achieved his on his own, and against all odds: (the odds were 4-to-1 against, as of 10:00am on election day!)

So whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy have mothers all across this land (or at least around the edges of it) tried to promote as worthy in any way of their daughters' admiration a woman who got nearly everything she's ever had from her husband or his name and who wouldn't stand-up for herself at all during the multitude of times that husband betrayed her?? (is that the fate you want for your own daughters??)

The only significant contribution Hilary Clinton has ever offered our society was the term "Bimbo Eruptions", and she is too stupid to ever understand that it wasn't the bimbos who were erupting.

In this era of Forensic Files even your innocent young daughters can figure that out!!

And you're just insulting those daughter's if you think they can't figure out Monica's dress.

(full disclosure: I didn't vote for either one of those social morons)

Old 01-23-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
It's a federal arrest. Seattle is a city in the state of Washington which is one of the 50 states in the Union.
The statute applies to Washington D.C. Looks like only one arrested in Seattle, since released.

Thanks to Washington, D.C.’s felony rioting statute, 230 anti-Trump protesters will face up to 10 years in jail for rioting.

230 Inauguration Day Protesters Face Felony Rioting Charges | The Daily Caller

Felony rioting is defined in D.C. law by at least five people who use “tumultuous and violent conduct of the threat thereof” to cause “serious bodily harm” and instigate more than $5,000 in property damage.

Inauguration Day protesters may face felony rioting charges | New York Post

Last edited by Seacove; 01-23-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoTime View Post
Seacove: (* note: I did catch the part about your having {only} sons)
Yes, and if I had a daughter, I would not have hesitated to support her if she wanted to march in Seattle, many parents did. The rest is simply political debate.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
The statute applies to Washington D.C. Looks like only one arrested in Seattle, since released.

Thanks to Washington, D.C.’s felony rioting statute, 230 anti-Trump protesters will face up to 10 years in jail for rioting.

230 Inauguration Day Protesters Face Felony Rioting Charges | The Daily Caller

Felony rioting is defined in D.C. law by at least five people who use “tumultuous and violent conduct of the threat thereof” to cause “serious bodily harm” and instigate more than $5,000 in property damage.

Inauguration Day protesters may face felony rioting charges | New York Post
As posted it is a United States Code. It may be applied anywhere within the USA. Do you really think that the FBI office in Seattle is going to not follow the trend in enforcement. This will be true for marijuana laws or protestors who damage property.

I am trying to save you good people some grief because this is coming. Right or wrong. Trump is dedicated to "law and order". The local authorities will follow federal mandate. At least have the courage to recognize this is one of the things you fear.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
As posted it is a United States Code. It may be applied anywhere within the USA. Do you really think that the FBI office in Seattle is going to not follow the trend in enforcement. This will be true for marijuana laws or protestors who damage property.

I am trying to save you good people some grief because this is coming. Right or wrong. Trump is dedicated to "law and order". The local authorities will follow federal mandate. At least have the courage to recognize this is one of the things you fear.
Do you have proof that that felony statute applies outside of Washington D.C.? Because every source says this was specific to Washington D.C. There may have been one arrest in Seattle. As for marijuana laws, if Trump wants to start doing that, let him do it. Many states already can't stand him and they voted to legalize it; several are red states. I never had an interest in marijuana but voted for its legalization because I think jail sentences for it are stupid. But Trump doing all of this is exactly what I want him to do. The sooner the better. State Marijuana Laws in 2016 Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies