Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

No need for me to protest... I am in one of the 36 WA counties that NEVER count.

in 35+ yrs, I doubt I have had 3 winners in any elected positions or state measures. (including the last)

Just what I get / deserve for $20k+ WA taxes per yr !

year after yr

Hire (and train) WA workers, grow WA economy, get treated like dirt (by voters who are NOT employers...), pay more taxes, live with more regulation, pay for damage / policing of protestors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Do you have proof that that felony statute applies outside of Washington D.C.? Because every source says this was specific to Washington D.C. There may have been one arrest in Seattle. As for marijuana laws, if Trump wants to start doing that, let him do it. Many states already can't stand him and they voted to legalize it; several are red states. I never had an interest in marijuana but voted for its legalization because I think jail sentences for it are stupid. But Trump doing all of this is exactly what I want him to do. The sooner the better. State Marijuana Laws in 2016 Map
Any federal law may be applied outside of Washington DC (Rodney King when acquitted the officers were charged under federal law). During the civil rights era federal laws were applied to desegregate the Southern states. Many persons who feel protected by States which allow possession of mj have been arrested charged and sentenced to prison under federal law. So it's not a stretch given the current "law and order" POTUS that protesters in Seattle who break things or harm property or people would be charged under federal law. It won't matter how you "feel" and while I would not wish this on anyone in the Emerald City it is a distinct potential and my personal opinion that during the "sanctuary cities" battles to come you best believe that the feds will be all over it.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Any federal law may be applied outside of Washington DC (Rodney King when acquitted the officers were charged under federal law). During the civil rights era federal laws were applied to desegregate the Southern states. Many persons who feel protected by States which allow possession of mj have been arrested charged and sentenced to prison under federal law. So it's not a stretch given the current "law and order" POTUS that protesters in Seattle who break things or harm property or people would be charged under federal law. It won't matter how you "feel" and while I would not wish this on anyone in the Emerald City it is a distinct potential and my personal opinion that during the "sanctuary cities" battles to come you best believe that the feds will be all over it.
For a Trump supporter it must seem like Trump will turn Seattle into their red state dream. Perhaps a Trump supporter moving to Seattle thinks Trump will turn it into Oklahoma. While no one can predict what will happen in the short term, please provide proof that anyone was charged with felony rioting in Seattle Friday and Saturday. As for marijuana laws, Trump should do what he will and live with the result. As for sanctuary cities, that is a whole other issue and time will tell on that. Seattle is not going to turn into Oklahoma regardless and for someone looking for that, they should just save time and move to Oklahoma or any other red state.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
For a Trump supporter it must seem like Trump will turn Seattle into their red state dream. Perhaps a Trump supporter moving to Seattle thinks Trump will turn it into Oklahoma. While no one can predict what will happen in the short term, please provide proof that anyone was charged with felony rioting in Seattle Friday and Saturday. As for marijuana laws, Trump should do what he will and live with the result. As for sanctuary cities, that is a whole other issue and time will tell on that. Seattle is not going to turn into Oklahoma regardless and for someone looking for that, they should just save time and move to Oklahoma or any other red state.
I would (again) recommend that you begin preparing yourselves for the change which our nation is going to potentially experience. I did not know that there was rioting in Seattle. I may have assumed this however I did not read any articles about it and while a person may or may not have been charged by federal law that is really not the point so I would dismiss your challenge.

Protesting with violence, marijuana possession for sale and sanctuary cities are all against federal law. Do the math. With a new POTUS who will cleave towards federal interventions. When this happens and I pray that it does not, your fair city will choose to accept or fight back. If you don't believe what you read here than do nothing. Either way it's ok with me but you seem quite insulated from what may be coming.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
I would (again) recommend that you begin preparing yourselves for the change which our nation is going to potentially experience. I did not know that there was rioting in Seattle. I may have assumed this however I did not read any articles about it and while a person may or may not have been charged by federal law that is really not the point so I would dismiss your challenge.

Protesting with violence, marijuana possession for sale and sanctuary cities are all against federal law. Do the math. With a new POTUS who will cleave towards federal interventions. When this happens and I pray that it does not, your fair city will choose to accept or fight back. If you don't believe what you read here than do nothing. Either way it's ok with me but you seem quite insulated from what may be coming.
The title of this entire thread is called Seattle Anti Trump Protests. I have seen nothing that says anyone was charged in Seattle with felony rioting. This was what was posted:

That assumes someone was charged and would now need to explain it as a basis for future employment. Who? How many?

A Trump supporter may feel emboldened to suggest any number of things for Seattle but already, I do not see anyone charged with felony rioting so we'll just have to take each step as it comes.

Marijuana sales in Washington state top $1 billion a month after state closes medical dispensaries | Bellingham Herald

Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
The title of this entire thread is called Seattle Anti Trump Protests. I have seen nothing that says anyone was charged in Seattle with felony rioting. This was what was posted:

That assumes someone was charged and would now need to explain it as a basis for future employment.

A Trump supporter may feel emboldened to suggest any number of things for Seattle but already, I do not see anyone charged with felony rioting so we'll just have to take each step as it comes.
Sounds like a plan. Best of Luck.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
So much for all that hooey about states and individual rights that Republicans pretend to champion.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 AM

365 posts, read 258,332 times
Quote:
FWIW, Presidents have for years been using Federal authority to intervene in various states. President Obama did it as did those before him. This is nothing new. What is new is seeing so many very liberal people now complain about how state preferences may be violated by Mr. Trump. They are starting to sound like the good old boys from down South when they shouted about "State's Rights".

The reality is that a hammer doesn't care which nail it strikes. That is why we have a Constitution and separation of powers. That is why we have the 10th Amendment. Time to wake up and realize that to much power may be concentrated where it shouldn't be. A politician who abuses power to do something we all think is 'right' sets the precedent for a politicians to abuse power to do anything they want.

Precedents are important. It used to be that a 60% super majority was needed to approve lower level judges and cabinet appointments. The Senate Democrats did away with that a few years ago. Now, Mr. Trump is taking advantage of that action. President Obama stretched quite a few laws using Executive Orders. Now Mr. Trump gets to issue Executive Orders.

It's time to realize that We The People must defend our Constitution and Federal system from all people who would abuse it. Even if we agree with their goals.

Last edited by Rombus; 01-24-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 08:40 AM

365 posts, read 258,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
What a joke. And the local news outlets in Seattle are only covering the violent protests. Just goes to show the biased media coverage in western WA. Just a flat out joke. Trump is our president. No protests, demonstrations, rioting, signatures, etc etc etc etc is going to change that.

If you don't like it, I suggest you get into politics and work to make your voice heard.
Well, I can see that both liberals and conservatives have the same view of the media - it's coverage is unfair and focused on the worst people. Why the press can't report the news and just be thorough, truthful and fair is beyond me . We don't need Editorial Comments to tell us who is good and bad if we get the truth.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:03 AM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
This is prohibition all over again. Once states stop spending the money on enforcing a deeply unfavorable law and start collecting millions and projected to be a billion for our state, in revenue, the states are going to sue the federal government if they come for their cash cow. Though, seeing how Jeff Session's only problem with the KKK was that they smoke pot, I have little doubt that he will try to enforce the federal laws on the issue.

I forget which historian said this, but it was something along the lines of, presidential power is like a leather glove, every president flexes it, expands it and it doesn't shrink afterwards. I have never been a fan power of Executive Orders, even under Obama and I am not surprised that Trump is using it with glee. I was hoping that SCOTUS might finally step in, but seeing how we lost the bench that will not being happening anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies