Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:52 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
... is the right reaction.

Trump team floats a 10% tariff on imports - CNNPolitics.com

And the key word there is - executive action. An executive order. Doubt Congress would let him do it but he can do an end run.
we'll see what happens.

I would argue that Trump’s talk of increasing tariffs is in the hope of increasing employment in America, But there’s a very small probability you can bring these labour-intensive industries back to the US. Labour-intensive industries flowed to third world, and they won’t return to America.

I think his plan is more like Make America investors friendly again. Have the factories staying HERE instead of going out. I have no problem with that. I think it is a fair and balanced approach to be honest. China, following Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, had a lot of good policies attracting foreign investors, (deregulations and all). America should do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:52 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
His moronic tirades on trade denote a real ignorance on the state of the global economy.

Trump trade war woul kill 5 million U.S. jobs. Washington state fears biggest hit | McClatchy DC
Trump has fallen under the spell of Peter Navarro.

I used to really like him, but over the years he lost the plot. He used to be pro trade, now he is just anti china and seems to think China is the only thing that matters...

Yet TPP? TPP was intended to box China, exclude them and allow the USA to define trade in asia.

Pretty hard to understand why on earth we would abandon it. They will clearly go ahead without us and we will end up on the outside looking in....

well done Trumpers.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

I used to really like him, but over the years he lost the plot. He used to be pro trade, now he is just anti china and seems to think China is the only thing that matters...

Yet TPP? TPP was intended to box China, exclude them and allow the USA to define trade in asia.

Pretty hard to understand why on earth we would abandon it. They will clearly go ahead without us and we will end up on the outside looking in....

well done Trumpers.
agreed- but it's. a short term thought process and they can scream they stuck it to China and protected jobs that don't exist anymore, all the while China increases its influence in the region at our expense and his flock wonder what happened...

Old 01-23-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

well done Trumpers.
I'd agree with you on the bold. I have mixed feeling about this. But in all fairness, nobody really knows if any country can really box China now. So maybe not worth it.

You will see a lot of chinese influence in the future, with massive immigrants and corporate business interests

Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I remember arguing with an ultra right wing conservative who was adamant that NAFTA and sending jobs to China would strengthen the economy and make US corporations rich and their owners spending would in turn spend money on services here. And companies would invest the money in new technology and create new jobs here.
It was a crock then and its a crock now. Only now the Hillary supporters are the ones complaining about Trump trying to undo 20 years of both parties screwing the country over.
Will wonders never cease. We actually agree on a point. Conservative republicans - Wall Street, the 1 percent and the like - have endorsed free trade for decades. It was a Ronald Reagan mantra, although to his credit Reagan WAS willing to enforce global trade laws in contrast to true ultra right wing conservatives.

Democrats with the support of trade unions tended to oppose unfettered trade liberalization - until Bill Clinton drank the koolaid particularly with his support of allowing China to join the WTO. Al Gore opposed that move; George Bush was in favor of the provision. A Democratic Congress imposed certain safeguard measures; George Bush ignored or over ruled them. Obama tried to enforce some Chinese trade sanctions - but by that time it was too late. The jobs were gone - decimated in the last decade both by the surge in Chinese imports post-WTO and the Great Recession in combination.

I don't know what Hillary Clinton really thought of her husband's policies - if only in retrospect - but yes Democrats would like to undo how the country was screwed over (though much of that is too late). But faith in Trump grasping much - not really though I can understand those in the Rust Belt voting for him. They've nothing to lose.

The others of us? Hope things go well.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
we'll see what happens.

I would argue that Trump’s talk of increasing tariffs is in the hope of increasing employment in America, But there’s a very small probability you can bring these labour-intensive industries back to the US. Labour-intensive industries flowed to third world, and they won’t return to America.

I think his plan is more like Make America investors friendly again. Have the factories staying HERE instead of going out. I have no problem with that. I think it is a fair and balanced approach to be honest. China, following Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, had a lot of good policies attracting foreign investors, (deregulations and all). America should do the same.
No. They won't. Plus, Trump seems to have this obsession with China - fair enough but he's about 15 years too late. Low-valued manufacturing already is moving from China into places like Bangladesh. But hey - it makes for a good headline.

China managed it's economy - strong central government paired with capitalism. It's worked very well for them.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
No. They won't. Plus, Trump seems to have this obsession with China - fair enough but he's about 15 years too late. Low-valued manufactured already is moving from China into places like Bangladesh. But hey - it makes for a good headline.

China managed it's economy - strong central government paired with capitalism. It's worked very well for them.
Yep. doubt any countries can really control China now.

off topic. one of the reasons why I think we need to be a little bit friendly with the Russians.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh my bad, I didnt realize stiffing creditors and employees was actually a sign of superior business acumen.

Being responsible and honest are no longer important in Trump's America? Good to know.

I guess I should tell the other partners in our firm that we should start encouraging the start ups we incubate to aspire to cheating and negating obligations.

They'll get a kick out of that I'm sure.
What are you and your partners incubating, chicken eggs or goose eggs?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM

haha

Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
I am scared about what our economy will look like in 2020. Obama did an astounding job bringing us out of the Great Recession and I fear that Trump lead our country into another similar or even worse recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies