Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,381,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'll make an educated guess that as the Republicans pulled more to the right - possibly beginning with Gingrich, the Dems may have started pulling more to the left, as a response.

I sure hope you're kidding, if you think that it was the Democrats who were behaving badly during and after the election. Surely if you're old enough to recall the Clinton years, you know perfectly well that no candidate has ever been so vulgar, so insulting, so threatening to his opponents, so mendacious, so misogynistic, so self-aggrandizing as Trump.
I know huh......how dare he call half of the country "deplorable." How insulting! Oh............wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
One can tell the Democratic Party is quite different today than in the past. The Bill Clinton years for example were much different. Even the early Obama years. Now Dems seem to be very far to the left.
When do you think this shift occurred and what caused it?
Can you explain what you mean? I don't see it.

thanks

Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times
The Democratic Party is "radical" simply because the Republicans say it is.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,780,213 times
The Democratic Party is a capitalist party that supports regulated markets and a functional social safety net. Totally radical.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 PM

21,483 posts, read 10,591,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Excellent post! I agree sbout6 Obama. I voted2x for him, happy he won, but yes I also criticize him for not uniting America as well as he could have. From what I saw and read, plus talking with my brother, race relations seem to have regressed a bit under his watch. Not ALL of it was his fault, obviously, I just hoped for more uniting. STILL beats Methane Man, that you have now, but that isn't saying a lot.
But most of that is because of the rise of social media. Obama became president right about the time Facebook really took off. Then Twitter, and all the other social media platforms. You can’t really compare him and his influence to the presidents who came before him, only the ones that come after. Obama was the first black president, and also the first Facebook president. Even in the last few years of Bush things were starting to change. This changes the paradigm of politics the way the television age did in the ‘60s.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:41 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
One can tell the Democratic Party is quite different today than in the past. The Bill Clinton years for example were much different. Even the early Obama years. Now Dems seem to be very far to the left.
When do you think this shift occurred and what caused it?

Looking at the behavior of the party during the election and also after Trump's election really makes me glad Hillary didn't win and that they don't have the House or Senate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
They haven't been this bad since Republicans took away their slaves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If Hillary would have won she would have gone further left to stay in office in 2020. The way they are acting I'm so glad Hillary didn't win and it will be along time (until they get a grip) until I ever consider voting Democrat again.
WTF are you people talking about. The Democrats are center left leaning a bit right. H Clinton is NOT far left in the least. Also, the Demcratic party is not the same party as it was in 1865. Think! How obtuse can you all be??? Come on, get a clue.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 PM

31,083 posts, read 22,113,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I am so glad to see another person that has the same feelings I do. The focus on the left these days is often times "helping" people that either don't want our help. There are thought of as ignorant by many of those they supposedly are rallying for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JGmKHrWKMQ
Quite amazing. A bunch of Berkeley snobs acting like their fellow Americans are not capable of getting a drivers license, finding their way to the DMV, or knowing how to use the internet

Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 AM

11,813 posts, read 5,811,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
WTF are you people talking about. The Democrats are center left leaning a bit right. H Clinton is NOT far left in the least. Also, the Demcratic party is not the same party as it was in 1865. Think! How obtuse can you all be??? Come on, get a clue.
No WTH are you talking about - I'm a Democrat and would consider my self - a conservative democrat like Kennedy. A huge portion of democrats are left leaning - that's why Bernie gained so much traction. Hillary is only right leaning when she needs the votes of the more moderate democrats - she swung hard left to try and pick up Bernie voters after the convention.

You look at Schumer, Cuomo, Pelosi - all left wingers - they want to provide all these social programs without any concern to cost - and yet balk about military spending. This is why I voted for Independents or Republicans in the last few elections - my taxes keep going up - which I can ill afford at this time in my life and I'm paying for someone else's freebies that could be working.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
No WTH are you talking about - I'm a Democrat and would consider my self - a conservative democrat like Kennedy. A huge portion of democrats are left leaning - that's why Bernie gained so much traction. Hillary is only right leaning when she needs the votes of the more moderate democrats - she swung hard left to try and pick up Bernie voters after the convention.

You look at Schumer, Cuomo, Pelosi - all left wingers - they want to provide all these social programs without any concern to cost - and yet balk about military spending. This is why I voted for Independents or Republicans in the last few elections - my taxes keep going up - which I can ill afford at this time in my life and I'm paying for someone else's freebies that could be working.
WUT? Hillary is right leaning. Yes, she did try to appeal to those that preferred B Sanders but look how that worke out. Pelosi is not a left winger. Can you explain what these 'freebies' are exactly? Give specific examples. Is this what you mean? Juan crosses the border undocumented and within a week he lives in a midtown manhatten penthouse and is provided a phyiscal trainer, nutritionist, cook, maid, etc...at the expense of taxpayers.

I also suggest you look at the budget and compare social program expenditures with military expenditures. They are very different. I find it odd that people like you are ok with your taxes going to a bloated military but helping the poor is not viable. What gives?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,902,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You mean the democrats like KKK, Jim Crow and slave masters? They have always been radical.
Time is frozen. One can assume that you have not changed one iota in the past decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies