Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:02 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And you think Hillary would have been different in this regard.....How?
She was all talk and would be opposed by Congress at every turn.

We have a direct shot right now for Trump to do whatever he wants without opposition. So far it isn't pretty, and nobody has the conviction to do anything about it.

To answer OP he won't do any much less all of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
If he began behaving like an adult.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
1. Keep the nation safe.

2. Deliver on bringing back high paying jobs to America

3. Reduce the debt.

4. Provide universal health care for all..

If he accomplished all the above. Would you have a different opinion of Trump?
LOL,
The problem with your question is he is doing none of those things. So sure if he did those things he might get some respect, as it stands he gets what he gets.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I'm not a liberal but I am always looking for something to like all presidents about, including Trump. I always felt that I would like him based on economic issues eventually because I do think that he has a unique skillset that can be beneficial for Americans to receive more increases in pay - income - not jobs are more important to me and I am not "for" arbitrary increases in the minimum wage .

I doubt he would ever get Universal Healthcare into place though. But if he did that, I would love him!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
If he began behaving like an adult.
I agree with this thought in general since I don't think he will do any of the list the OP posed.

Honestly if he would have stopped Tweeting everything, stop making everything about him and get a decent speechwriter for his appearances, I would like him more. The main reason I don't like him is due to his personality.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:11 AM

24 posts, read 42,620 times
Quote:
1. Keep the nation safe.
This is extremely vague, to the point of ridiculousness. Safe from what? Illegal immigration is down. Crime across the board is down. Thanks to the ACA (aka "Obamacare"), deaths from lack of healthcare and bankruptcies from catastrophic medical bills are down. There have been no terrorist attacks by "radical Islamists" inside the US since 9/11 (pretty sure about this, please correct me if you know of any). For these and many other reasons, many of us feel plenty safe already.

What on Trump's agenda will make the nation safer? Taking away people's healthcare? Giving more tax breaks to the super rich and denying basic services to the rest of us? Eliminating regulations that keep our air breathable and our water drinkable? Starting another war, or escalating those already in progress?

Quote:
Again, extremely vague. Define "high paying."

Trump famously said during the campaign that American workers are paid too much already. Republicans don't want to increase the pay of those making minimum wage, because, they say, it will increase costs and thereby raise prices -- even though there is plenty of evidence that show this is simply untrue. Manufacturing jobs WILL NOT be coming back, because workers in Bangladesh are happy to work for a dollar a day. Plus, most Americans don't want manual labor jobs -- like factory work, or picking veggies -- no matter what the pay; that's one of the main drivers of illegal immigration.

What can Trump do to bring high paying jobs here? Mandate higher salaries? Raise the minimum wage? Not gonna happen. What, then? Please enlighten us.

Quote:
3. Reduce the debt.
Trump is already proposing expensive projects (which increase spending) AND tax cuts (which reduce revenue). Ain't gonna happen.

Obama was able to cut the deficit (the annual debt) significantly, altho you'll never hear that on Fox. But no matter, the national debt and annual deficits only matter when Democrats are in charge.

Quote:
This is laughable. Republicans believe the only people who deserve health care are those who can afford it. Poor people don't deserve it. "Illegals" don't deserve it. Even old people don't deserve it, unless they have money saved up. This is why they want to eliminate or privatize Medicare and Medicaid, and eliminate the ACA -- and MAYBE replace it with health savings accounts (again, worthless unless you already have money).

Universal healthcare not only isn't "on the table," it's not even on anyone's mind in Trump's inner circle.

Quote:
If he accomplished ANY of the above, or even tried to, the Republicans in Congress would move to impeach him. I say, bring it on.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:20 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
1. Keep the nation safe.

3. Reduce the debt.

I will be proud to call him President if he doesn't get the US into any wars. That's all I care about.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:40 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
1. Keep the nation safe.

3. Reduce the debt.

I'll paraphrase the old proverb again, that there's as much chance of him doing those things, as a camel would have, in passing through the eye of a needle.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:53 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Bible verse. You know the eye of the needle was a gate. A camel could get through it, but it was hard. The camel had to almost crawl.

Most of the jobs coming back will probably be in prisons. The new slave labor.

How can he keep us safe, whatever that means, if he surrounds himself with hotheads like Bannon and Flynn? How will safe be determined?

He could cut all discretionary spending to nothing and not make a dent.

The Rs will NEVER go along with universal healthcare.

My jury is still out. Some days he pleasantly surprises me and some days he alarms me.

Now, if the citizens get so pissed at the Rs and elect Ds next cycle, universal healthcare will be a possibility.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
1. Keep the nation safe.

3. Reduce the debt.

1. Define 'keep the nation safe".
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

Maybe. It depends on how he conducts himself and how he treats others. He seemingly is unable to treat others with respect; an attribute I despise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
There is only one way to deal with a person like Trump and its not through appeasement.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies