Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 12:01 PM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times

Advertisements

I'm just grateful we have a good old fashioned hedonist in the white house and all the right wingers aren't complaining about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
The left will never like him, it is against their religion.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
If Gump was able to force a NHS-style single payer healthcare through and get it signed into law, maybe I would give him some credit, but I don't see it happening...

Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
1. Keep the nation safe.

2. Deliver on bringing back high paying jobs to America

3. Reduce the debt.

4. Provide universal health care for all..

If he accomplished all the above. Would you have a different opinion of Trump?
Trump is a pragmatists. Trump is more likely to anger is Republican base, than angering a liberal if you believe it or not.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:09 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
1. Keep the nation safe.

3. Reduce the debt.

1. I believe the nation is already as safe as it can practically be. I assume you mean from terrorists? Right now, I believe in just one week, he has made it worse.

2. Yes, but it matters HOW. The *HOW* to this is to pursue new ventures AND create some equality between workers and CEOs/shareholders. Bringing back COAL and trying to hang your hat on sporadic production jobs is a band-aid. Wealth needs to come back to our current workers by allowing them a bigger slice of the fruits of their labor versus continuing to allow such obscene increases to the top 1%.

3. Yes, but again HOW he does it makes a difference.

4. This would be the best accomplishment ever and I think he'd go down in history for it because, if done right, will be the answer to our problems.

It is my sincerest desire for Trump to succeed and do something wonderful. It does matter to me, though, HOW he does it. Behavior matters an awful lot too. He could do all of these things, but if we lose our freedom of speech or our ability to have a say in government, it's not worth it.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:54 PM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
1. Keep the nation safe.

What kind of attacks have we had from outsiders in the last 8 years?? All terrorists attacks have been by Americans. His policy of banning Muslims and Green card holders from entering is not going to do anything about that. Not will building a wall.

Define high paying jobs and for whom. The Tech jobs and jobs in Science and Engineering will be flying off to other countries due to his immigration policies. those are high paying jobs.

3. Reduce the debt.
With the wall? Cutting taxes? Ain't going to happen.

LOL

Depends on the means of achievement. Like kill all sick people? send the poor to prison?

Old 02-04-2017, 05:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
1. Keep the nation safe.

3. Reduce the debt.

1. Devil is in the details. Keeping America safe can mean anything from gun control to martial law. It is what all dictators have used as an excuse to limit civil liberties. So I am not willing to give him carte blanche OK to do anything he wants.

2. Nope. He is buying votes. It is a short term fix that will weaken America in the future. Are you willing to sacrifice your children's future so you can have your steel mill job back?

3. Sure. Sounds good.

4. Yes. Sounds good. But I will believe it when I see it.

But Trump has to do more than the above. He needs to quit trying to extort money from Mexico, he needs to apologize to all the foreign leaders he has insulted, he needs to dump his pal Putin and he needs to go into therapy and promise to take his meds every day.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:33 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And you think Hillary would have been different in this regard.....How?
That doesn't matter at all now. Hillary lost. Trump is the President. Asking 'what if's' is nothing but indulging in alternate history. You might as well have asked "What would life be like if the South had won the Civil War?"

If Trump accomplishes the list the OP offered, I'm sure he would be very popular in all quarters.

But the question is premature. I think it would have been better to ask the question 6 months from now, after the populace has a chance to see if any of the list shows accomplishment or good first steps that could indicate eventual success.

For sure, the first 2 weeks of his Presidency have been chaotic, and disarray does not instill confidence in a new President when his administration and Congress are both tumbled into one mess after another. That doesn't make for confidence in his leadership just yet.

If he settles down and begins to prioritize, his opposition may settle down too. But as long as he skips from one self-made kerfuffle into another one, I don't expect his approval will increase, nor will the demonstrations against him. Trump may feel very comfortable in perpetual chaos, but most folks do not, no matter what their political thoughts may be.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:41 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,501,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
If he began behaving like an adult.
I don't hate him for being a native NYC guy. Low blow, fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Trump could deliver on all those things and be the best President ever but he is never going to be popular with the Left.

The Dems need to get off the streets, stop the protesting, work with Trump the best they can and start gearing up to produce a dynamite candidate in 3 years to beat him.
Of course not. Libs were wailing on during the campaign about him being a democrat and they still aren't happy. He's a OWS goon's wet dream in how he bends business to the knee and he's not even hardcore on abortion, but still not good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Trump is a narcissist on an ego trip who was able to speak to a lot of issues many Americans care about in a way that the other Republican candidates and Hillary could not.
He has no interest nor the ability to deliver on those issues and ironically, he will probably set all of those issues back instead of making progress on them.
He's just in it for the attention and the adulation.

Trump's enablers in the Republican party and his administration are cynically using him to get policy enacted, get rich, get supreme court picks, etc. They are selling their souls for short term gain.

Trump's supporters don't want to admit they've been duped. Who would? If you've invested time and emotion in supporting a cause, it's human nature to want to deny that the cause may be nothing more than a narcissist telling people what they want to hear.
Look, Trump is a NYC guy and he is who he is. I got what I wanted. Two smoldering sub parties of our now dead oligarchy. Sucks to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstyson View Post
This is extremely vague, to the point of ridiculousness. Safe from what? Illegal immigration is down. Crime across the board is down. Thanks to the ACA (aka "Obamacare"), deaths from lack of healthcare and bankruptcies from catastrophic medical bills are down. There have been no terrorist attacks by "radical Islamists" inside the US since 9/11 (pretty sure about this, please correct me if you know of any). For these and many other reasons, many of us feel plenty safe already.
You're off to a bad start. There have been enough rags moving down people since 9/11 that you should know better. Also, many US cities are war zones. Read more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
1. I believe the nation is already as safe as it can practically be. I assume you mean from terrorists? Right now, I believe in just one week, he has made it worse.

It is my sincerest desire for Trump to succeed and do something wonderful. It does matter to me, though, HOW he does it. Behavior matters an awful lot too. He could do all of these things, but if we lose our freedom of speech or our ability to have a say in government, it's not worth it.
LOL. See above. Then again, most voters have shown they're pretty bad with their say in gubmint, so maybe Trump should run with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
1. Keep the nation safe.

What kind of attacks have we had from outsiders in the last 8 years?? All terrorists attacks have been by Americans. His policy of banning Muslims and Green card holders from entering is not going to do anything about that. Not will building a wall.
Just stop. I know gays are nothing but votes for dems, but that attack in Orlando wasn't due to a lost WASP guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

But Trump has to do more than the above. He needs to quit trying to extort money from Mexico, he needs to apologize to all the foreign leaders he has insulted, he needs to dump his pal Putin and he needs to go into therapy and promise to take his meds every day.
He should go the Hillary route and embrace the Arabian Peninsula? No thanks.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:43 AM

636 posts, read 392,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The REAL question is HOW he achieves his goals.
Pathetic that so few, including the OP, apparently, didn't think to factor this into the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies