Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times

Advertisements

The media has had it coming.

When given the opportunity to ask The President anything in the world, they chose to ask him how much a gallon of milk was. Then they piled on like school children when he didn't know.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:29 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I watched that press conference, no way no shape or form is Trump suggesting that the news media be "shutdown"

I'm not a Trump fan, but I'm a fan of proper reporting of things and for McCain to say that was dumb as hell. He needs to retire already, his cognitive functioning appears to be on the decline.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I SWEAR TO GOD, TRUMP COULD TELL HIS FOLLOWERS THAT CHILDREN MUST BE EXTERMINATED BECAUSE THEY ARE INHERANTLY EVIL AND THEY WOULD BACK HIM. I feel like I am living in a Sci-Fi B movie.
It's disheartening. And if Trump's administration were to end up collapsing by his own hand, the sad thing is the blame will forever be pointed elsewhere by him and his supporters. I feel like so many of y'all take his every word as gospel. Can you please just criticize one thing, any thing, about him?

The problem with their fear/hatred of the "MSM" is that they will only take the words straight out of Trump's mouth. So he can say anything he wants with impunity. He can lie completely (and he already has-see Muslims cheering in NJ, crime rates at their highest, biggest inauguration ever, etc), but anyone and everyone that calls him out has been effectively silenced because they are considered "invalid."

Trump hasn't directly shut down the media, no. I don't think he'll ever have the legal capability to do so. But he's using his position of authority to discredit those who challenge him. He's shut down the media psychologically (for his supporters), though not legally. That's pretty terrifying in its own right.

Some media outlets are indeed biased (CNN and MSNBC definitely, the others not quite), but so long as their reports are substantiated and fact-checked, that doesn't mean what they say isn't true. You can't shut an entity out because they disagree with you.

I would say "your" instead of "their" to all of you Trump supporters in this thread in an attempt at dialogue. However, judging by the constant use of terms like regressive left, lefties, *******s, cucks, snowflakes, etc. in this forum and the context of usage around anything remotely referring to anyone that isn't kissing Trump's shoe, it is seemingly clear that you really don't want to have a conversation. You'd rather demonize.

That being said, if anyone wants to civilly discuss/dispute with fact-checked sources (NOT Breitbart, InfoWars, ThinkProgress, etc.) I'm right here.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:56 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The left afraid of someone standing up to the lies from the media.

Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

i get that you are paraphrasing but like so many others you have it backwards not only in verse but in meaning.
just put the "methinks" (one word) to the end just flip it....

the POTUS doth protest too much methinks. (would be the correct phrasing.)

then we need to look at "protest".
The protestation in the quote is one of affirmation and not objection.

It is a common error so no biggie, and i really mean that no sarcasm intended.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:01 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Free press? No one is shutting down the free press unless it is the free press. Seriously, CNN Politics.

McCain is green with envy when it comes to Trump. I lived in AZ, I know about John McCain. John McCain needs to put his own house in order.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Lenin, Hitler, Mao?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Who is shutting down free press? free speech is a 2 way street.

The MSM think they are above critique. They think they can take shots at conservatives and don't want anybody to question their wisdom and profession.

Mccain is way off and reminds me why we should have term limits.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
It's disheartening. And if Trump's administration were to end up collapsing by his own hand, the sad thing is the blame will forever be pointed elsewhere by him and his supporters. I feel like so many of y'all take his every word as gospel. Can you please just criticize one thing, any thing, about him?

The problem with their fear/hatred of the "MSM" is that they will only take the words straight out of Trump's mouth. So he can say anything he wants with impunity. He can lie completely (and he already has-see Muslims cheering in NJ, crime rates at their highest, biggest inauguration ever, etc), but anyone and everyone that calls him out has been effectively silenced because they are considered "invalid."

Trump hasn't directly shut down the media, no. I don't think he'll ever have the legal capability to do so. But he's using his position of authority to discredit those who challenge him. He's shut down the media psychologically (for his supporters), though not legally. That's pretty terrifying in its own right.

Some media outlets are indeed biased (CNN and MSNBC definitely, the others not quite), but so long as their reports are substantiated and fact-checked, that doesn't mean what they say isn't true. You can't shut an entity out because they disagree with you.

I would say "your" instead of "their" to all of you Trump supporters in this thread in an attempt at dialogue. However, judging by the constant use of terms like regressive left, lefties, *******s, cucks, snowflakes, etc. in this forum and the context of usage around anything remotely referring to anyone that isn't kissing Trump's shoe, it is seemingly clear that you really don't want to have a conversation. You'd rather demonize.

That being said, if anyone wants to civilly discuss/dispute with fact-checked sources (NOT Breitbart, InfoWars, ThinkProgress, etc.) I'm right here.
How do you expect to have a civil convo when you are basically calling people who voted for or support Trump stupid?

I could criticize lots about him, but mostly they aren't things that matter to me in the larger scheme of things.

He clearly isn't good when spouting off about things involving numerical details. But, I never expected he would be, because my assessment of him is that he is more of a big picture thinker and relies on others to fill in the details. That's a style. I am more interested in the substance of what his administration gets done.

Way early to make a judgement on that.

Your assumption that just because people distrust the media means that they trust or believe everything that comes out of Trumps mouth is true is silly. I'm sure those sorts are out there, just like there are those sorts on the other side.

The situation with the media is one they have brought on themselves and existed long before Trump came along. Even the so called fact checkers spin their fact checking frequently.

Something is very wrong with the media when in the space of one week we have the NYT reporting a phony Twitter account from Flynn as real and using it to forment fears that there's another Watergate coming. Then on the heels of that, the AP is floating some cockamamie brainstorming thing about using the national guard to round up illegal aliens as if it were serious policy being planned. Do you think some of the biggest names in news shouldn't be held to a higher standard or are you just ok with this kind of sloppy slanted reporting?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:13 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,215,852 times
Here's a lesson for liberals:

Fill in the blank: 15 minutes could save you 15% at _______.

That is how powerful the media is in planting thoughts in your head - and the above is simply a commercial. Imagine what years upon years of govt. programming will do. You should be glad someone slaps you up-side the head and says 'wake up'.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:20 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Who is shutting down free press? free speech is a 2 way street.

The MSM think they are above critique. They think they can take shots at conservatives and don't want anybody to question their wisdom and profession.

Mccain is way off and reminds me why we should have term limits.
Isn't that the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies