Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
He's demonizing the press so that his ill-informed fans will look to only him for the truth.
Get real. I watch CNN and MSNBC and they presume this and that with no source. It is laughable to call it news. It actually is preposterous what I hear. One has to be nuts to believe the garbage they make up as they go.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:22 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times
When the press gives snippets of something either said or viewed, then twist it to meet their criteria, then tell you what to believe because you're obviously too stupid to figure it out yourself, the press is no longer the press but is merely pundits and/or comedians. What we have now is a far from honest press as I've seen in my 72 years. They build up what they like and tear down what they don't like. That's not their job.

I used to be a political junkie. No more. I can't stand the snark and ugliness coming from the likes of Stephanopoulos, Todd, pretty much any of them. I've turned them off. I'm done.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Get real. I watch CNN and MSNBC and they presume this and that with no source. It is laughable to call it news. It actually is preposterous what I hear. One has to be nuts to believe the garbage they make up as they go.
I agree, MSNBC is the worst of the two in my opinion.

I can't stand Rachel Maddox, I think she's a tard of the highest order. Politics aside, her mannerisms and the way she conducts herself is annoying as heck to me, you throw in her far left politics and its really annoying.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
When the press gives snippets of something either said or viewed, then twist it to meet their criteria, then tell you what to believe because you're obviously too stupid to figure it out yourself, the press is no longer the press but is merely pundits and/or comedians. What we have now is a far from honest press as I've seen in my 72 years. They build up what they like and tear down what they don't like. That's not their job.

I used to be a political junkie. No more. I can't stand the snark and ugliness coming from the likes of Stephanopoulos, Todd, pretty much any of them. I've turned them off. I'm done.

Of course you are ,most Trump minions are .The truth hurts them.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Trump tweeted yesterday that CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, and others are "enemies of the American people". He absolutely has dictatorial tendencies.
That's not what dictators do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Read the article. Then study up on 1930s Germany.
1930s Germany was a nation-State, not a country. Perhaps you need to learn the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous populations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The first thing a dictator does is use the press for propaganda, ie: Main Stream Media.
Good point.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I agree, a free nation requires a free press. Trumps continued attacks on the media are intended to undermine our free and unfettered press.
Trump's entrenched followers are buying it, but then they are already "all in" they are tied to Daddy Trump who does their thinking for them.

But the other 62% are literally laughing at Trump and buying Subscriptions to the NYT...

Lucky we have the judicial branch to protect our Press.
Free press doesn't mean you can make stuff up or omit important things when they happen. It isn't the news if you do this.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If some of these news agencies told you that Trump said that and then did it; many of you would believe it without even checking to see if it is true. I see people posting on Facebook who should know better posting pure lies that the national news told them and they not only believe it but they pass the lies on. One should at least fact check something before repeating it.
Anyone see a problem here? National news shouldn't be lies. We should be able to depend on them checking facts before they report. It's irresponsible otherwise.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Anyone see a problem here? National news shouldn't be lies. We should be able to depend on them checking facts before they report. It's irresponsible otherwise.

The thousand of stories and reports and all done by humans,Ok for your president to be a liar but the press must be perfect.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:45 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,825 times
This! The MSM are liars. Very disappointed in McCain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Who is shutting down free press? free speech is a 2 way street.

The MSM think they are above critique. They think they can take shots at conservatives and don't want anybody to question their wisdom and profession.

Mccain is way off and reminds me why we should have term limits.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Ok that's fair. Apologies for my demeaning tone. This all helps me understand your mindset more, so thank you for taking the time to explain how you see what he says.

That being said, when he tells a lie to twist a narrative (EG Muslims cheering on rooftops), there is no excuse to not denounce such a lie. Some statistics might seem insignificant, but they are actually quite important to how observers interpret a story. Additionally, by inflating or deflating numbers that seem unimportant, he can create a narrative that can be used what would otherwise be unacceptable actions. That's the fear anyway.

On what now? Sorry I got lost haha

Oh yeah of course. I don't doubt the left has its fair share of Hillarybots. I know one personally. The impression I get is that Trump's most ardent supporters are so willing to let a lot of his lies slide where other politicians would get more scrutiny. And his closest supporters, who follow this standard, seem abnormally large in number. But that's my perception, not fact.

Can I ask what it was they did that "brought this upon themselves?"

Can I ask for some examples of a fact checking source twisting their results?

The phony Twitter account thing was caught and called out. That's good. But yeah, there is something big going on with Flynn, I don't think that's hard to recognize. Comparisons to Watergate might be overblown but it certainly has that potential.

The national guard thing was stated as "rumors/leaks" in most (not CNN/MSNBC, I'm sure) news sources. As something that may be happening. I'll get back to you on this response once I do more in-depth looks.

And while it's absolutely fair to criticize bad reporting, and I encourage it, where is the criticism from your side towards reporting from extremely biased and unfounded sources like Breitbart and InfoWars on the right (I would add sites like ThinkProgress and OccupyDemocrats from the left to that list, but I'm sure they've gotten more than their share of criticism from across the aisle)? You yourself might not necessarily use these sites, but I've seen them posted on here before. Even if users and proponents of those are a minority, they really shouldn't be seen at all, or at least as often as they've been appearing.

I hope you understand-it's frustrating to see criticism of the standard media followed by enthusiastic absorption of highly biased sources with dubious and questionable reporting and fact-checking.
Apology accepted.
What you missed was that I will be judging the Trump admin on what they accomplish and it is way too early for any sane person to judge the results. He's only been in office for a month.

The media brought on themselves the disrespect and disbelief of millions of Americans. Trump is not telling Americans anything they didn't already know. The mainstream media is almost entirely leftist in their viewpoint and spins all news left. No one needed Trump to tell them that. To think otherwise is laughable.

Cant give you examples re the fact checkers. Too much work. I never bother with the fact checkers anymore. Easier just to wait and see how the facts play out. If the story dies, you know it wasn't true. Eventually in most cases the truth outs.

Re Flynn, yeah probably more to the story. Could just be Trump decided to roll the dice and overlook his shading of the truth because he viewed his contribution to the admin as more important and then he had to decide between loyalty to Flynn or Pence. Don't know. Not worried about it. The ONLY thing that is clear is the FBI is investigating all things Russia and Comey was on the Hill this week briefing both Repub and Dem Congressional Intelligence Committee. I am content to let that play out.

I am not content to have the NY Times spinning the ghost of Watergate with fake Flynn Twitter accounts. I expect more from them. They are an absolute fail regardless of retracting their story. That should never have happened with them. Not just a tiny mistake like they misspelled someone's name in an obit.

I'm not posting stuff from Briebart so I cant really address that. I try to avoid press that is clearly slanted
all one way either way other than sometimes as a curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies