Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm730 View Post
nice. Cali is smart.
Cali is going to go bankrupt. Not smart.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,792 times
The problem with UHC is not paying for it.
The problem is keeping enough doctors, clinics, and hospitals to keep it running.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I would love to study to their proposals...

California lawmakers introduce single-payer health care plan today
Massachusetts has had state-based health care for several years. Hears hoping other blue states make this move and implement laws preventing red state refugees from moving there for the benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I will be paying close attention to this as I would like America to have it. If it passes in California I'll start taking that state seriously. If it doesn't they can stuff a sock in their screaming mouths about the federal government being able to offer anything similar as they will feel the pain of it.

I hope it passes. I'll move there in a heart beat, as will a lot of other people. Since they have a pretty open door policy, I'm sure they won't mind a few extras.
This is what blue states need to draw a fierce line in the sand about. The day the law passes, should be when the clock starts and no new takers for at least ten years after they have contributed to the state. Otherwise, those in other states will run there when they get sick and the system collapses because it's not based on the average, but on a population heavily weighted by a sicker populace. Five years is not long enough, the time to qualify has to be so long as to make it useless to others trying to game the system.
Force red states to deal with their own sick population - or not.

Last edited by Seacove; 02-20-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I wish more states would just say **** it and do it themselves. And don't do it via referendum. People are easily corruptible to vote against their own interests. And don't drag your feet CA! That's what Vermont did and look where it got them

It should be funded with federal money if need be.
Replace Medicaid funds with it
If Cali implements a program that has to be subsidized by other states in order to survive then it should be rejected outright.

If it's so great pay for it yourselves. Leave me and my tax dollars out of it.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
If Cali implements a program that has to be subsidized by other states in order to survive then it should be rejected outright.

If it's so great pay for it yourselves. Leave me and my tax dollars out of it.
That's how I feel about the top five states in the South currently on disability - which also qualifies them for Medicare. In West Virginia, almost 10% of the population is on disability. Almost 10%!!! Those are my tax dollars. The top five states are West Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky.

Sonny Ryan, a retired judge in town, didn't hear disability cases in his courtroom. But the subject came up often. He described one exchange he had with a man who was on disability but looked healthy.

"Just out of curiosity, what is your disability?" the judge asked from the bench.
"I have high blood pressure," the man said.
"So do I," the judge said. "What else?"
"I have diabetes."
"So do I."

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Old 02-20-2017, 05:07 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
Go for it, California. As long as the California taxpayers alone are responsible for this single payer health care plan which will include illegals, I support their efforts 100%. I will follow with interest how it will work for the state. California is a good test.

According to the article posted in OP:

One big issue is that the state relies on about $22 billion in federal funding annually to cover private insurance subsidies linked to plans purchased through the state’s health insurance exchange. It also pays for a provision of the law that greatly expanded Medicaid — a health care program for the poor (called Medi-Cal in this state) that is paid for by states and the federal government — to include adults without dependent children. What would happen to those funds is unclear.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Go for it, California. As long as the California taxpayers alone are responsible for this single payer health care plan which will include illegals, I support their efforts 100%. I will follow with interest how it will work for the state. California is a good test.

According to the article posted in OP:

One big issue is that the state relies on about $22 billion in federal funding annually to cover private insurance subsidies linked to plans purchased through the state’s health insurance exchange. It also pays for a provision of the law that greatly expanded Medicaid — a health care program for the poor (called Medi-Cal in this state) that is paid for by states and the federal government — to include adults without dependent children. What would happen to those funds is unclear.
California also pays more in federal taxes. I'm all for turning the country into 50 independent budgets with minimal contribution for the federal. Force all states to fund their own problems. Tell those five states in the south that top the list of disability payments to pay for it themselves and quit taking our money. I'm in another one of those blue states that are tired of seeing my federal tax dollars benefiting red states. Make each state pay for themselves entirely with minimal contributions to federal and then get out the popcorn to watch how some states like Mississippi turn out.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The day the law passes, should be when the clock starts and no new takers for at least ten years after they have contributed to the state.
So if some poor black family moves into your state you are going to deny them health coverage under the state plan? I'd be called racist, hate the poor, hate children yada, yada, yada for suggesting such a thing.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I wish more states would just say **** it and do it themselves. And don't do it via referendum. People are easily corruptible to vote against their own interests. And don't drag your feet CA! That's what Vermont did and look where it got them

It should be funded with federal money if need be. Replace Medicaid funds with it
No. California wants to go it alone they do it with state funds and not federal funds.

No way in hell do I want to subsidize a sanctuary state.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
So if some poor black family moves into your state you are going to deny them health coverage under the state plan? I'd be called racist, hate the poor, hate children yada, yada, yada for suggesting such a thing.
They can qualify ten years later, just like any one. If they didn't consider my state their home when the law passed, they should not be part of the health care plan until they have qualified. This is no different than someone moving to an out of state college, just with a longer qualification period because the costs are so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies