Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The guy has been in office for a month. Dems and media trying to delegitimize him, his cabinet picks stalled by the dems. T had done more in the month than obama did in 8 years.

Done WHAT? Specifically?

You folks should make up your minds, one day it's 'Obama worked hard to destroy this country', the next day it's Obama did nothing for 8 years!'.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:30 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, its the alt-right / neo-nazis feeling empowered by Trump.
It's the pro-Palestinians. And Obama has further empowered them by screwing Israel at the UN on his way out of the White House.

Thousands of Palestinian Supporters Protest in Chicago | NBC Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBvAOF-vnyg

Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
YES please someone list in a different thread 'Trump Accomplishments'.

(NSA appointment -- finally he got one right)

Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's the pro-Palestinians. And Obama has further empowered them by screwing Israel at the UN on his way out of the White House.
He did nothing of the kind.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
And for the record....

I don't expect much from any President in the 30 days. I want the new President and his administration to get their footing, get organized...be thoughtful and precise in their actions. So it wouldn't have bothered me if there was little done, other than appointments, setting up shop.

BUT it is his supporters saying he's creating jobs, saving the USA & the world is loving him. Not so much.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He did nothing of the kind.
Yes, he did.

I'll let a Jew explain to you why what Obama did was wrong, and only served to embolden anti-Semites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbCtAz_BQc

Old 02-21-2017, 06:45 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Where is this "anti-Semitism' happening? And who are the perpetrators? Muslims? Does this rise in anti-Semitism correlate to the rise in the Muslim population?

Have any of you C-D posters had some anti-Semitism directed right at you specifically? If so, what form did it take?
The perpetrators seem to be white supremacists. I grew up in the rural South in the late 90s/early 2000s and had a cross burned on my lawn because my family *dared* put a menorah in the window next to a Christmas tree (mom is Jewish, dad is not). We also had a rock thrown through a window. At one point in high school (2004 or 2005), I was in a group interview for a low level job at a store that was opening up. We were asked where we went to church and, at 16 or 17, I didn't know that was illegal. I mentioned the synagogue I occasionally went to. I was the only one of the 4 girls I interviewed with who didn't get the job - despite being the only one who was conversationally bilingual (English-Spanish), first aid/CPR certified, and the only one with any job skills. I was told I wasn't a "cultural fit." Bull****.

I also ended up quitting my high school marching band because I was told that my high holy days weren't an excuse to miss practice. I was first chair, but demoted to a non-chaired position because I missed a PRACTICE (one we had every day after school) due to Yom Kippur. Other kids left early every Wednesday for Bible study but that was no big deal.

I'll give you a hint: it wasn't Muslims. It was socially acceptable in my community at the time to be openly anti-semitic, as well as anti-Catholic. That died down outwardly as more transplants moved in and people started to interact with others who weren't like them. While I thought the anti-semitism had completely died out, I've noticed in the past year or so that some of my high school "friends" on Facebook have started to be more openly anti-semitic, blaming Jews for all kinds of things. Cuckoo pants. They feel emboldened to do so, and I realize now that the anti-semitism never really died out, it just became socially unacceptable to actually say it.

As an adult, I live in an area with a large Jewish population and work at a Jewish institution. I don't see much antisemitism in person but as the person who deals with social media and triages general emails to the institution, we have had a HUGE uptick in antisemitic comments and threats over the past 6 months or so.

One of the JCCs that had a bomb threat is my JCC. Many of my coworkers and friends send their kids to a daycare there. On a very cold day, some of their infants and toddlers had to be evacuated.

I am much more concerned, through personal experience, with the alt-right than with Muslims. I've lived in Muslim neighborhoods in Europe. We talked about our faiths over falafel and hummus. Sure, many were particularly angry at Israel and I have a more nuanced opinion on it, but I never in any way felt any threat.

Oh, and I almost forgot, my synagogue has always had security present but has never needed police detail aside from the High Holy Day services, and that was only to help with traffic. Now, we have at least two police cruisers. My boss's husband is a (Jewish) cop and the need for his squad to be more present at synagogues is particularly concerning to him.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, he did.

I'll let a Jew explain to you why what Obama did was wrong, and only served to embolden anti-Semites:

Put up an unbiased explanation.

Obama did what he thought best for the US, his only responsibility.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Done WHAT? Specifically?

You folks should make up your minds, one day it's 'Obama worked hard to destroy this country', the next day it's Obama did nothing for 8 years!'.
Quote:

How can anyone understand it better than the Jew in the middle of it?

There is no 'unbiased' when dealing with the left. It's only 'unbiased' if it agrees with the left.

If I don't agree with what Obama did, then I'm biased. You agree with what Obama did and you are not biased.

Got it.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I did. A Harvard Law prof who also happens to be a Jew's explanation. A Jew who has to deal with anti-Semitism.

Quote:
How is empowering anti-Semites in the US "best for the US?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies