Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:18 AM

185 posts, read 169,320 times

Advertisements

An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on how this correlates to current political events, and from all sides of the fence. (Note: this would require actually reading the article, preferably with an open mind.)

The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts” | Religion Dispatches

Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
I'm shocked.

[/sarcasm]

Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times
From the article the OP linked:

"truthiness was the truth that “comes from the gut,” not from actual facts—“the truth we want to exist,” that feels right.

Truthiness is certainly an ancestor of fake news and alternative facts. And the way fake news tends to get better reception among conservatives than liberals, even by a two-to-one margin, has also been recognized. (When one fake news creator was interviewed, he explained, “We’ve tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You’ll get debunked within the first two comments, and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.”) What is it about Republicans that seems to make them more credulous to fake news than Democrats?"

All I can say is ... C R A P. Biased. Unsupported. Garbage.

The problem is that Democrats - liberals in particular - would love it if this was indeed true. But, it is definitely NOT true. Alinsky 101.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:26 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
So the fact that people make up news is Christians' fault.

Laughable...

Old 02-27-2017, 08:26 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,118 times
NPR interviewed a guy who is responsible for the creation of a lot of fake news. Here is a transcript of the interview:

We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator In The Suburbs. Here's What We Learned : All Tech Considered : NPR

One interesting point: He mentions that right-wingers are more susceptible:

"We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

I think he overstates the case here. Liberals may be less gullible about fake news, but they are not immune. We all really need to be vigilant. As a liberal myself, I am especially annoyed when liberals re-post fake news that is designed to appeal to liberals. We all need to hold ourselves to a higher standard. Don't share any story until you have made a sincere effort to check its validity.

The bottom line for the creators of fake news is money. They make more money posting fake news for right-wingers. There are probably numerous factors that contribute to this. I'd be curious to hear some thoughts about what these various factors might be.

BTW: If you would rather listen to the interview, rather than read the transcript, you can do so by clicking on the blue play-arrow in the upper left corner of the page. The radio report is 7:33 minutes long, and is very interesting. I highly recommend listening.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-27-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on how this correlates to current political events, and from all sides of the fence. (Note: this would require actually reading the article, preferably with an open mind.)

The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts” | Religion Dispatches
All the "fake news" outlets do is give the viewer text with context which exposes the mass media.

Truly if you believe you can only receive your "facts" from Fox News, CNN, etc you are one brainwashed individual.

I have no respect for you and you are part of the problem.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So the fact that people make up news is Christians' fault.

Laughable...
That's not what the article says. Read it all the way and try again if you are so inclined.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
All the "fake news" outlets do is give the viewer text with context which exposes the mass media.

Truly if you believe you can only receive your "facts" from Fox News, CNN, etc you are one brainwashed individual.

I have no respect for you and you are part of the problem.
I wasn't seeking your respect. I put out a link to an article I found interesting and solicited comment, but that requires actually reading it.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
I take a broader view of Fundamentalists and certainly do not limit it to Christians.

It's a strong tendency towards a literal minded belief systems- concrete thinking.

People believe that which seems to validate their perceptions.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
That's not what the article says. Read it all the way and try again if you are so inclined.
I did read it. The article goes into a whole thing about evolution, Falwell, Christians hijacking the Republican party, etc.... which has nothing to do with the missteps of CNN, NYT, and so on.

Isn't that the point of the article, and especially the headline of the article - that the root of fake news is with Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies