Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:04 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,786,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Probably because red states would scream 'STATES RIGHTS!'.
Exactly. Blue states tend to already do it, red states consider the environment an enemy. Notice the prettiest coasts tend to be blue while Republicans get the Texas Gulf? It's just the way it is. Republicans, more often than not, do not care about the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 03:05 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,914,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Probably because red states would scream 'STATES RIGHTS!'.
Actually, more likely because it would eat into the blue states recycling monopolies. That is, if the feds get in on it, they will want a cut, and some of the blue states have already mandated programs where they charge people for containers even if they don't use them.

You would be surprised how corrupt the city/counties/states are who claim they are "environmental friendly" and it would even shock you more if you were to audit their recycling facilities.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,686,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
There should be a federal program I'm not interested in state programs
In this instance I say hell them let's override that.
I do recycle and I'm not a liberal that whines about the environment all day.

However if some liberal leaders want to put together a plan I'm all for it.
Are you insinuating that conservatives don't care about recycling? Why don't you call for republicans do it?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,979,990 times
i agree that we need a national recycling program, the problem though is that once again a one size fits all program doesnt work for everyone.

however recycling centers need to be set up in as many areas as possible, and they should be easily accessible. they can also set up systems where there are dedicated receptacles where the average person can put their recyclables in the can to be picker up by either the recycling companies, or the local government, which is what tucson does.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,942,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree that we need a national recycling program, the problem though is that once again a one size fits all program doesnt work for everyone.

however recycling centers need to be set up in as many areas as possible, and they should be easily accessible. they can also set up systems where there are dedicated receptacles where the average person can put their recyclables in the can to be picker up by either the recycling companies, or the local government, which is what tucson does.
I agree it wouldn't work in a one-size-fits-all kind of way. I think incentives might be a smart thing to employ here - make it so that recycling is worth the money for local/state governments. Don't mandate how they should/must do it - but offer incentives to them if they do set up their own programs.

It'd also be a cool little experiment to see which region/state comes up with the best programs. And each state could learn from one another.

I think that could possibly work well on a national level.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,979,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I agree it wouldn't work in a one-size-fits-all kind of way. I think incentives might be a smart thing to employ here - make it so that recycling is worth the money for local/state governments. Don't mandate how they should/must do it - but offer incentives to them if they do set up their own programs.

It'd also be a cool little experiment to see which region/state comes up with the best programs. And each state could learn from one another.

I think that could possibly work well on a national level.
the problem though with any recycling program, incentivized or not, is that they have to be made as simple as possible for most people to follow through. the more difficult you make these programs, the fewer people will make the effort.

for instance, when tucson first started our recycling program, we had to separate our recyclables as much as possible, and there were certain things the centers would not accept, and we had to identify them as well. today however its as simple as we have two can, one for trash, and one for recyclables. and teh center separates them.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:24 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,686,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Actually, more likely because it would eat into the blue states recycling monopolies. That is, if the feds get in on it, they will want a cut, and some of the blue states have already mandated programs where they charge people for containers even if they don't use them.

You would be surprised how corrupt the city/counties/states are who claim they are "environmental friendly" and it would even shock you more if you were to audit their recycling facilities.
In reality, state or county-run recycling programs are not money-makers. They're pretty much a break-even enterprise.

And what's this about 'blue states recycling monopolies'? Do blue states take red states recycling? What a bunch of hogwash!

Old 03-06-2017, 03:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,942,468 times
Quote:
the problem though with any recycling program, incentivized or not, is that they have to be made as simple as possible for most people to follow through. the more difficult you make these programs, the fewer people will make the effort.

for instance, when tucson first started our recycling program, we had to separate our recyclables as much as possible, and there were certain things the centers would not accept, and we had to identify them as well. today however its as simple as we have two can, one for trash, and one for recyclables. and teh center separates them.
This is a legitimate issue, yes.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:42 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,821,043 times
Quote:

Glass and aluminum is simple imo what gets more complicated is the plastics. The fact that they don't even try is very telling. The red cities and states just don't care, it will never happen that's why we need a federal program push.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:44 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,786,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Glass and aluminum is simple imo what gets more complicated is the plastics. The red cities and states just don't care, it will never happen that's why we need a federal program push.
Red states don't care so why should blue states help pay to clean them up? Let red states deal with their own problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies