Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:54 PM

29,638 posts, read 16,652,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I live in the reddest of red cities, and we get a full-sized Otto for home AND multiple large bin sites around the city AND the actual center AND days with free mobile paper shredding that get recycled...
So you live in Austin ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 PM

9,216 posts, read 13,321,563 times
Default If liberals care about the environment so much why do they never push for a nationwide recycling program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'll never understand this just more proof they're complete hypocrites.

All glass, aluminum, steel, and plastic should have some sort of a nationwide recycling program tied to it...similar to the bottle deposit law in Michigan.

It's extremely hard to find anywhere in my area that will even take glass. I have to take it to a special dumpster that is taken care of by a local church.
I'm not sure what they do with it after that but they must take it to a facility in a bigger city or something.
Two issues here.

First off - Do you really want the Federal government to take over garbage collection? That is a state and mostly local issue.

Second, regarding Liberals, my guess is that liberal states like California and New York usually have more environmental regulations that are friendly to the environment - so it is not liberals that are (usually) the problem.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,625,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
It's hard enough to get environment-hating Republicans to go along with programs at the local, regional, and state level. Why should Liberals waste their energy on a national effort that won't go anywhere due to the resistance of nineteenth-century mindsets?
It's not republicans vs democrats. It's science. Are you a science hater?

Recycling is just another stupid liberal idea to make themselves feel good by screwing up the environment even more.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:28 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,557,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So you live in Austin ????
On what planet is that a red city?
Even Dallas isn't red.
I live in Plano.

And by the way, when the recycling center caught on fire recently and the city told everyone to put their recycling in the trash, most people said they would just hold it in their garage until the recycling came back online.

So people can shove their "Austin is an oasis, conservatives hate the environment" where the sun don't shine.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:56 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,913,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
In reality, state or county-run recycling programs are not money-makers. They're pretty much a break-even enterprise.
I know better as I have personal experience with this. This is a lie. They are big money makers. If they weren't such huge money makers, they wouldn't have taken it over. You see, many states "stepped in" and took over the recycling process when private companies were already doing it. Many people like me use to recycle way back in the early 80's+ in CA when private companies were buying up the metal, plastic, glass, etc.. and giving a good return. The state stepped in and took it over and the consumer ended up "paying" the city/counties to do what was originally paid to the consumer. It became a racket and I have seen this corruption first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
And what's this about 'blue states recycling monopolies'? Do blue states take red states recycling? What a bunch of hogwash!
Red states tend to not have the "you will pay us to do good and we will take the profit" that occurs in states like CA. Though in the end, this is often an issue at the city/county level and every state has idiots at those levels depending on what area you go. CA is just one large idiot area.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,818,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
I know better as I have personal experience with this. This is a lie. They are big money makers. If they weren't such huge money makers, they wouldn't have taken it over. You see, many states "stepped in" and took over the recycling process when private companies were already doing it. Many people like me use to recycle way back in the early 80's+ in CA when private companies were buying up the metal, plastic, glass, etc.. and giving a good return. The state stepped in and took it over and the consumer ended up "paying" the city/counties to do what was originally paid to the consumer. It became a racket and I have seen this corruption first hand.

Red states tend to not have the "you will pay us to do good and we will take the profit" that occurs in states like CA. Though in the end, this is often an issue at the city/county level and every state has idiots at those levels depending on what area you go. CA is just one large idiot area.
Yes totally correct the naysayers don't know what they're talking about. A program could easily be implemented something similar to but not exactly like the Michigan bottle deposit law. I find it hard to believe they have no problem with the govt interfering with everything else...but not something such as this.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,625,980 times
Quote:
Yes totally correct the naysayers don't know what they're talking about. A program could easily be implemented I find it hard to believe they have no problem with the govt interfering with everything else...but not something such as this.
Maybe because recycling is just plain stupid.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:17 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,267,969 times
I can't think of a place in my region that doesn't offer recycling. Everything from single stream, to comingled, to public spaces with separate bins. I'm not sure what you are on about, OP. Recycling, as a whole, seems to be a nation wide affair already.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:18 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,267,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Maybe because recycling is just plain stupid.
I really hope you aren't being serious.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:41 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,913,105 times
Quote:
Yes totally correct the naysayers don't know what they're talking about. A program could easily be implemented something similar to but not exactly like the Michigan bottle deposit law. I find it hard to believe they have no problem with the govt interfering with everything else...but not something such as this.
When government gets involved, check your pockets and be sure to fasten your stupidity belt. Rarely have I seen government programs as such amount to anything than a means to the bureaucrats getting pay backs through political meandering.

As I said, before government got involved in CA recycling, there was market for it that benefited the consumer, but after government got involved it went to crap.

I personally went from collecting and taking products to recycling companies to SPECIFICALLY putting my recyclable trash in the NON-RECYCLABLE garbage because it had no benefit to me either way.

Gotta a problem? hell with your idiot local governments. There is NO reason why recycling has to be unprofitable for the individual. government, as always is a progress killer.

To the crowds who would say "but you should do such for the environment? Go F yourself, I was doing it already and your stupid communistic government took it away!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies