Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 AM

162 posts, read 62,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Budgets need to be cut. This is a first step. We also need to cut the DOD's budget as well.

How much does the EPA need to spend above $730 per chair to save the environment?

As a matter of fact, how does buying any expensive furniture help the environment?

That number you're quoting was cherry picked from a 2015 article stating the EPA spent $92.4M over 10 years on furniture. They then incorrectly divided the current workforce by that amount to make it seem like the EPA spend $6K per employee on furniture, citing one person with that model chair as an example.

Since that is a cumulative number, you need to look at the average workforce over that 10 year period (which was higher) making the total closer to $5K per person, and again, thats not per year, that's per DECADE.

Probably higher than it needs to be, but I wouldnt call it a scandal, and I certainly wouldnt use it as an excuse to de-legitimize the work of the agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 10:35 AM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Budgets need to be cut. This is a first step. We also need to cut the DOD's budget as well.

How much does the EPA need to spend above $730 per chair to save the environment?

As a matter of fact, how does buying any expensive furniture help the environment?

I don't know if they spent that much on chairs and would consider it excessive if they did. However I'd like to concentrate on the bigger picture that happens to have a lot more zeroes in the numbers:

13 billion aircraft carrier?

1.5 trillion plane program?

Coincidentally, the second number (total for 50 years or so) matches the whole NIH budget for the same period.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:39 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post
That number you're quoting was cherry picked from a 2015 article stating the EPA spent $92.4M over 10 years on furniture. They then incorrectly divided the current workforce by that amount to make it seem like the EPA spend $6K per employee on furniture, citing one person with that model chair as an example.

Since that is a cumulative number, you need to look at the average workforce over that 10 year period (which was higher) making the total closer to $5K per person, and again, thats not per year, that's per DECADE.

Probably higher than it needs to be, but I wouldnt call it a scandal, and I certainly wouldnt use it as an excuse to de-legitimize the work of the agency.
Quote:
He's planning to add to the DOD budget. He asked for it, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. And sure budgets need to be cut starting with the pork in the DOD and the military. That's not to say we should not invest in military, specifically military technology and political science. We most certainly should, but his general approach lacks sophistication. For example, as a nation we should be striving towards innovation in every way. That means having a technologically sophisticated workforce, from technicians to engineers (that could be umbrellaed by a healthy DOD budget), but instead we have this continuous mantra of bringing back living-wage un/low-skilled labor. That's what his coal mining base is all about. Where is the future? Everything we do today sets us up for tomorrow.

He's anti-science, he's anti-intellectual, he's anti-reason. His whole trip is irrational.

Quote:

I don't know about these chairs and raba seems to have answered that, but I see no problem with the right people micromanaging these budgets. And those right people are not Trump and his cabinet of anti-science clowns.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I don't know if they spent that much on chairs and would consider it excessive if they did. However I'd like to concentrate on the bigger picture that happens to have a lot more zeroes in the numbers:

13 billion aircraft carrier?

1.5 trillion plane program?

Coincidentally, the second number (total for 50 years or so) matches the whole NIH budget for the same period.
Look at my posting history, and you'll see that over and over I've stated that we need to cut our military spending. It goes right along with me saying to get out of the ME, stop being the world's police force and to bring home our troops. So, I'm not sure why you're bringing up military costs to me when I want them cut.

When the EPA can waste so much money on things like furniture, they need a budget cut.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Well, it's on the chopping block. They do not support it. I just saw that on the news from one of his talking heads.

Trump's Budget Slashes Climate Change Funding : The Two-Way : NPR

eta: Although you are 100% correct if that's what they are doing.
Justice Dept to Survey Federal Agencies for Guns, Ammo

EPA 1.4 mill$$ woth of guns

"A new wrinkle pops up in the long, strange tale of the management of the Environmental Protection Agency this week. It stems from an audit of the department’s spending conducted by Open the Books, a nonprofit outfit pushing for more transparency in the federal government. This comes on the heels of previous revelations, such as the discovery that the EPA had run up a $92M tab for designer furniture recently. But this one is even more curious. Rather than blowing moderately big dollars on designer roll away desks, the EPA has apparently been dumping more than a million dollars into equipping a small army. (Daily Signal)"

Daily news.....

"Federal agencies other than the Department of Defense spent nearly $1.5 billion on guns, ammunition and military-style equipment over the past nine years, a new report found.
Researchers from OpenTheBooks.com tracked spending between fiscal years 2006 and 2014 at 67 different agencies in 15 departments outside the Pentagon in a report entitled “The Militarization of America.” The organization, which refers to itself as a nonpartisan watchdog organization, unveiled the 55-page report earlier this month."

U.S. agencies spending billions on guns, ammo and military gear - NY Daily News

Politicians and most voters rely on bumper sticker slogans to communicate. Rarely does a pol go deeper than a title of legislation. As evidenced by dems not reading or understanding the ppaca before they approved it.

Note the pols that oppose a bill because of the title and its media showcased interpretation, ignore content and go for the emotional/political win. shallow is as shallow does. plenty of room for budget cuts without sacrificing those they pretend to help.

The screams you hear are the sound of swamp creatures fighting for legacy perks and rights afforded by corrupt management over the decades.

How much does it cost to EPA to bring suit against a private land owner for building apond that was approved by town and state? Locally a 10 year battle, finally broke a guy and then the EPA walked away. All about a neighbot complaing he put gravel in an established driveway the Feds declared a wetland.

The EPA lawyers are making hay while the government watchdog sleeps.

These federal agencies could be cut far more than currently proposed and still deliver the goods!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

These federal agencies could be cut far more than currently proposed and still deliver the goods!
I think them going after NASA and climate research is ideologically based. It's irrational. Chairs, guns, ammo? That's a solid case. Although, for some reason I suspect the base would have less of an issue with the guns.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Look at my posting history, and you'll see that over and over I've stated that we need to cut our military spending. It goes right along with me saying to get out of the ME, stop being the world's police force and to bring home our troops. So, I'm not sure why you're bringing up military costs to me when I want them cut.

When the EPA can waste so much money on things like furniture, they need a budget cut.
How do we now keep our noses out of potential ISIS hotbeds?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
How do we now keep our noses out of potential ISIS hotbeds?
By realizing that by being over ther we are making ourselves a bigger target.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 AM

162 posts, read 62,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

The EPA lawyers are making hay while the government watchdog sleeps.

Government lawyers get paid the same whether they file lawsuits or surf the web.

I don't know about your particular example, but in general the reason we need Federal regulation versus just leaving it in the hands of the States is because the environment crosses state boundaries. Air and water move around, so West Virginia may decide to burn all the coal in the world thinking it's fine since the jet stream is blowing all the soot over Virginia and Maryland anyway.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:58 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,973 times
are you that naive to think we could never get attacked again?
911? Pearl Harbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Let's see, our defense budget is bigger than anybody else's by a huge margin. I'm not going to argue if it is bigger than the next 3, 8, 10, or 14 combined, it does not matter. And that does not even include some intelligence agencies, DOE stockpile and so on.

So who is going to attack, aliens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies