Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
By realizing that by being over ther we are making ourselves a bigger target.
The influence of the west makes us a target whether we are there physically or not. The world is globalized. We cannot ignore Europe. If we really want to protect ourselves, if Trump, if our government really wanted that, then we would get off oil. Oil funds terrorism and by extension is our biggest threat. On some level we all know that is the elephant in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
The influence of the west makes us a target whether we are there physically or not. The world is globalized. We cannot ignore Europe. If we really want to protect ourselves, if Trump, if our government really wanted that, then we would get off oil. Oil funds terrorism and by extension is our biggest threat. On some level we all know that is the elephant in the room.
The extreme radicals see our society as an evil that needs to be destroyed, but they are able to recruit the next group of teenagers due to the bomb dropped in their village not because of the release of Suicide Squad.

We can't get off oil, and very little of the oil we get comes from over there.

BTW, you do realize that the phone, tablet or computer you're posting with couldn't be made (at least not affordable by you) without oil? The same goes for most products you will use today.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM

162 posts, read 62,371 times
Quote:
I think them going after NASA and climate research is ideologically based. It's irrational. Chairs, guns, ammo? That's a solid case. Although, for some reason I suspect the base would have less of an issue with the guns.
I think people are getting caught up in examples of waste that are in reality a fraction of a single percent of an agencies budget. We have a discretionary spending budget of over $1 trillion per year, half of which is DOD alone.

So we could make drastic reductions and elimination of all these non-DOD agencies amounting to ~5% of the $1 trillion dollars, or instead we could eliminate a couple Navy ships and maybe an overseas base or two and save even more.

But in reality, we aren't cutting anything, the budget is staying the same, we are just going to spend more on other stuff at the expense of current stuff.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The extreme radicals see our society as an evil that needs to be destroyed, but they are able to recruit the next group of teenagers due to the bomb dropped in their village not because of the release of Suicide Squad.
I agree to an extent. So, you think this was the case also prior to 9/11? We've had deep involvement in the middle east for decades. Heck, that was still based on the oil. It still goes back to the oil.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
We can't get off oil, and very little of the oil we get comes from over there.
It doesn't matter where our oil use comes from. C'mon.

Quote:
BTW, you do realize that the phone, tablet or computer you're posting with couldn't be made (at least not affordable by you) without oil? The same goes for most products you will use today.
Yeah, and it's funding terrorism. that's just a fact and it needs to be managed. We cannot just ignore it without consequence.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post
I think people are getting caught up in examples of waste that are in reality a fraction of a single percent of an agencies budget. We have a discretionary spending budget of over $1 trillion per year, half of which is DOD alone.

So we could make drastic reductions and elimination of all these non-DOD agencies amounting to ~5% of the $1 trillion dollars, or instead we could eliminate a couple Navy ships and maybe an overseas base or two and save even more.

But in reality, we aren't cutting anything, the budget is staying the same, we are just going to spend more on other stuff at the expense of current stuff.
Truth.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I agree to an extent. So, you think this was the case also prior to 9/11? We've had deep involvement in the middle east for decades. Heck, that was still based on the oil. It still goes back to the oil.
Why do you think most of those hijackers came from Saudi Arabia? It was because of our military presence in that country.

Look at my post above, edited, about oil.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter where our oil use comes from. C'mon.

Yeah, and it's funding terrorism. that's just a fact and it needs to be managed. We cannot just ignore it without consequence.
Are you ready to give up pretty much every modern technology in order to stop using oil?

We could stop getting any of the oil we use from the ME, and they'd still have plenty of funding from the rest of the world buying their oil.

The only thing oil has to do with this is that without oil, nobody would really care what was happening in the ME and that is where their funding comes from; however, many, many regular people in the ME, who have nothing to do with terrorism, benefit from that natural resource.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
You know it's not the actual White House budget, right? They are calling it a blueprint.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi..._blueprint.pdf

I think that one is submitted in May. I could be wrong.

I like it but I'd like to see more detail (this one is just a blueprint) before I tell you how much I like it.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Why do you think most of those hijackers came from Saudi Arabia? It was because of our military presence in that country.

Look at my post above, edited, about oil.
I responded to that post and it was far more complicated than a military presence. The US gov, US co's/international co's, and the Saudi royal family have been in bed for a long time. This coupled with Wahhabism led to 9/11. Wahhabism is likely responsible for the state of the middle east for past centuries. And clearly Saudi will never be on any Muslim ban into the US. Our ties are deep. It's sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies