Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Your greed is showing.
What does that mean? Have you actually thought about any of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:47 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
What does that mean? Have you actually thought about any of this?
Yes, deeply. Do you know how it looks when you covet your neighbors wealth?

Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 AM

162 posts, read 62,371 times
I'm shocked at how many people think this is a win for the taxpayers. The budget isn't being reduced, it's being shifted from one group of agencies to another.

FYI folks, the 31% cut to the EPA ($2.6B) is less than the cost of a single Navy attack submarine ($2.66B). Is a single Navy submarine more important than protecting the water, air and soil of the entire nation? While we're on the topic, do you really believe that procuring military assets meant to project power around the globe while pursuing an isolationist policy even makes sense?

Let's also keep in mind that cancer and heart disease kill 1.2 million Americans every single year (nearly triple the total American losses in WWII), so I would argue that cuts to NIH aren't going to make us safer.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post
I'm shocked at how many people think this is a win for the taxpayers. The budget isn't being reduced, it's being shifted from one group of agencies to another.

FYI folks, the 31% cut to the EPA ($2.6B) is less than the cost of a single Navy attack submarine ($2.66B). Is a single Navy submarine more important than protecting the water, air and soil of the entire nation? While we're on the topic, do you really believe that procuring military assets meant to project power around the globe while pursuing an isolationist policy even makes sense?

Let's also keep in mind that cancer and heart disease kill 1.2 million Americans every single year (nearly triple the total American losses in WWII), so I would argue that cuts to NIH aren't going to make us safer.
Do you agree that it should all be slashed?

Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post

I rather have the single Navy submarine than the EPA.

Listen, a lot of these "cuts" are simply restoring pre-Obama funding levels. It's great how the media always spins this though.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes, deeply. Do you know how it looks when you covet your neighbors wealth?
This is not about coveting. We have a progressive based Tax system, a society, and an economy. For whatever reason you want to play lapdog to a segment of the population and it's nonsense. You are being irrational. Calling the wealthy victims is irrational. They are not victims. I cannot believe you are even suggesting this.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Yes, and he's going to decrease income with massive tax cuts.

Hmmm, I just don't remember saying anything about tax cuts. I only remember talking about budget cuts.

Here is my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you don't understand the benefits of budget cutting when our debt is $20 trillion or doing something about illegal immigration.... I might as well be trying to explain to you that water is wet, because if you can't get it on your own, I can never get you to understand.
Where did I say anything about tax cuts?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hmmm, I just don't remember saying anything about tax cuts. I only remember talking about budget cuts.

Here is my post:

Where did I say anything about tax cuts?
It doesn't matter. He will increase spending and decrease income. The monies saved from budget cuts will not cover the gifts to the wealthy (based on numbers from his campaign site). This is what they always do. They increase spending and decrease income and we end up in a recession. Only difference this time is that he's going to stop progress and damage our environment

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM

162 posts, read 62,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I rather have the single Navy submarine than the EPA.

Listen, a lot of these "cuts" are simply restoring pre-Obama funding levels. It's great how the media always spins this though.
I would not. The environment is something we all need for survival but must share with each other. It is the very purpose of government to regulate and oversee such things. Otherwise, we all suffer from the poor/greedy/short sighted decisions of a few.

The EPA budget in 2016 was $8.1B with a workforce of 15,376. When Obama took office it was $7.5B with a workforce of 16,916. So Obama's time in office actually saw a 9.1% reduction in manpower with a 8% increase in spending.

Trumps budget cut of 31% ($2.6B) takes the EPA down to $5.5B, which is a level not seen since 1990. Ever try fishing in the Adirondacks in 1990? The lakes were completely sterile.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter. He will increase spending and decrease income. The monies saved from budget cuts will not cover the gifts to the wealthy (based on numbers from his campaign site). This is what they always do. The increase spending and decreased income and we end up in a recession. Only difference this time is that he's going to stop progress and damage our environment
Budgets need to be cut. This is a first step. We also need to cut the DOD's budget as well.

How much does the EPA need to spend above $730 per chair to save the environment?

As a matter of fact, how does buying any expensive furniture help the environment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies