Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,118,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" If Obamacare is a disaster"

IF?
Have you had your head in the sand for the past 8 YEARS?
It's been lifesaving for one of my family members, and very beneficial to me and to many other self-employed people I know. The whole "it's been a disaster" is a rightwing myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,533,477 times
Many self employed have aca insurance. It also helps people leave a job and start a business.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:34 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,022,536 times
No doubt it is to counter the pro-Obamacare side trying to hoodwink the public with their propaganda; if you only ever hear one side of the story your perspective will become very skewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Many self employed have aca insurance. It also helps people leave a job and start a business.
Seeing as new business creation and the number of young firms as opposed to old firms are the lowest they have been in the entire history of the United States after Obamacare was implemented, it's obviously a miserable failure on that front.

Honestly I have no idea why you people keep defending this piece of trash masquerading as health care reform. I also have no idea why your kind never reveal any of your "fixes" to it, which are an order of magnitude vaguer than the Republicans' plans for replacement, unless you have no fixes. Even your ilk must have some awareness that in the polls keep as is is much less popular than full repeal, and in the same polls given a choice between the Obamacare system and the pre-2010 system the public prefers the latter by 20 points.

I especially wonder why one would support a system that is, as Paul Ryan put it, collapsing. For once Ryan is telling the straight truth - enrollment is lagging, many counties have only one insurer left, and some counties in East Tennessee now have no insurers. Without any insurers the entire project is pointless.

Now that the thing is going to be repealed and replaced, why not collaborate on a replacement that will incorporate these "fixes" to it that will make it better, or perhaps an entirely new plan from your side which will be much superior. Although the pro-government-control side has ceded the initiative to the GOP on this front, I have seen some ideas floating around that they could pursue that might be an improvement over what we're stuck with today.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:48 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,118,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
No doubt it is to counter the pro-Obamacare side trying to hoodwink the public with their propaganda; if you only ever hear one side of the story your perspective will become very skewed.
Exactly. Which is why people who have benefitted from this law--and despite your claims to the contrary, there are millions of us--need to speak up. All we hear is the the ACA is failing, but for those of us who have health insurance for the first time in decades, it is absolutely not failing, and that side needs to be heard.

Quote:
Honestly I have no idea why you people keep defending this piece of trash masquerading as health care reform. I also have no idea why your kind never reveal any of your "fixes" to it, which are an order of magnitude vaguer than the Republicans' plans for replacement, unless you have no fixes. Even your ilk must have some awareness that in the polls keep as is is much less popular than full repeal, and in the same polls given a choice between the Obamacare system and the pre-2010 system the public prefers the latter by 20 points.
"Your kind," "your ilk," are just ordinary Americans who had no access to healthcare before the ACA. Why is that so difficult for your ilk to understand? As for the polls, more people have a favorable view of the ACA now than unfavorable. And a record number of Americans signed up for the ACA in December, outpacing previous years by nearly a half a million people. That tells you that, A, the law is working; and B, that people truly need it.

Quote:
Now that the thing is going to be repealed and replaced, why not collaborate on a replacement that will incorporate these "fixes" to it that will make it better, or perhaps an entirely new plan from your side which will be much superior. Although the pro-government-control side has ceded the initiative to the GOP on this front, I have seen some ideas floating around that they could pursue that might be an improvement over what we're stuck with today.
We have put forth a replacement plan. It's called Medicare for all. But your ilk won't even consider it.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:50 AM

51,694 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It's been lifesaving for one of my family members, and very beneficial to me and to many other self-employed people I know. The whole "it's been a disaster" is a rightwing myth.
Yep.

Lot of misinformation being spread around.

Time to Call Out the Big GOP Lie on Obamacare - The Daily Beast

Old 03-18-2017, 10:57 AM

68,372 posts, read 54,603,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
When did the American Action Network become the Republican Party?

LOL!

AAN is a salf-professed center-right group. Is that not Republicans?

And WHERE does the thread title say anything about the Republican Party?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,235,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
No one pays me to notice what is going on and writing about it. I fear that the long term agenda of the Republican party is to fund Medicare at a minimal level. Then when Social Security starts to run out of funds they will throw up their hands and say that's a shame.

With the kind of money that is pouring into Republican coffers they have the money to pay people to fight us every inch of the way, even on this web site.
Well, yeah. That is their long term agenda. Their are Republican politicians who openly say this. Some want it entirely defunded. The Republican party is in the pocket of big money. This has been the case since at least Reagan and it has not changed since. Even Donald Trump, who talks like he's against his, has people in his cabinet who are entirely mainstream conservatives. And in fairness, Bill Clinton sold the Democratic party to corporate interests as well. Obama did little to fight it, though in fairness, I think had he had more experience as a politicians, he would have fought it harder. If only the Democrats had a seasoned politicians who was opposed to this they could have run...

The ACA is controversial. It's not a disaster. Premiums did rise, but market research suggests that this was actually going to happen anyway, and the ACA kept the costs from rising as much as they would have. For many, they're unsatisfied and most rational people agree that it's a flawed law. But most rational people also agree that calling it a disaster is a gross exaggeration. I mean, hell, even a staunch libertarian shouldn't be calling it a disaster. They can disagree with it in principles, but in terms of outcomes, the ACA was not that problematic overall.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,821,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Its popularity should be your first clue.

I have aca insurance, do not get the subsidy. I'm on a gold plan that is much better than my last insurance prior to the aca act. In a state with limited options. And and my rates were rising faster than before the aca.

Trump tribesmen are easily brainwashed so that is why the tv ads. They vote against their own best interest . And Trump is starting his 2020 campaign now.
How dare I get angry over my premiums costing more than double what I used to pay before Obamacare. How dare I get angry when I write a check to the tune of $923 bucks every month to pay for catastrophic health insurance. I must be brainwashed to be angry

But as before, you ignore that many people are hurt by Obamacare and then go into melt down because Hillary lost because she promised to keep Obamacare going.

Yea... Just keep ignoring us

Last edited by petch751; 03-18-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM

68,372 posts, read 54,603,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The same people doing those polls said Trump did not have a chance in hell of winning and that we wold have President Hillary.

When is her inauguration?

But you keep on believing them

Do you suffer the mistaken belief there's not room for many liars on both sides of American politics?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,821,964 times
The (D)'s held the House and Senate. They passed Obamacare and lost the House and Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies