Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 09:59 AM

42,880 posts, read 26,443,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm very familiar with Medicare and it's pitfalls. I agree that those who are not on Medicare should be very careful what they wish for. I personally know 3 doctors that have quit the field because of the demands of Medicare/Obamacare. I know one doctor who dumped her practice and went to concierge service because they required tons of paperwork and time restrictions like a mandatory 20 minutes per patient minimum (not including the time for all the paperwork) for a whopping $20 reimbursement that you then wait months to get from the insurance companies, if they don't dispute your diagnosis or don't like the code you used.
Did you (or anyone) know that if you are on a Medicare Advantage plan and you have an issue with them either not paying,denying treatment,denying medications or doing some other wrong thing your only recourse is to go to your state Senator and complain?

That's how it was set up by the esteemed (former) Senator from Montana and his group, only Congress has any authority over those insurance companies. How do I know this? Been there,done that more than once...
So how about this, we just open our checkbooks and pay doctors and hospitals whatever they demand of us? $500 to get a flu shot..no problem! $10,000 to spend a night in a hospital?, you betcha'.

My husband and I are on medicare, we love it as do most other recipients, our doctors are not 'quitting' medicine and becoming plumbers or painters, they still practice medicine and I haven't had to donate food or clothing to them or their families so I assume they are somehow getting by ok.

PS You are absolutely wrong about your only recourse for problems with medicare advantage plans being contacting your Senator. There is a procedure for complaining directly to medicare, I know that because my husband did it, so you might want to research that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,415,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Tell THAT ^ to the Republicans who blocked risk corridor payments, and you can also thank the Republican run states that refused to expand medicaid which would have brought MORE people into the healthcare marketplace

PS Premiums did not go "through the roof" nationwide, states that provide oversight into rate increases had very small increases.
Yeah, it's those Republicans. Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi never did anything like that.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 AM

28,982 posts, read 30,373,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Trump threatens to leave ObamaCare in place if repeal bill fails | TheHill

If the vote fails, Trump will move on to other priorities and ObamaCare will stay as the law of the land, Mulvaney said.

Well, that was fast.
something I can't understand about this, and hoping someone can explain to me, why Trump wants to revise ObamaCare so quickly like this, this is insane.

he hasn't even been in office, 6 months? Why not take your time and revise it right?

He is more concerned with revising it, than the content of it.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:03 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are never going to get better than how they had it. You are making excuses.
You do understand that no matter how much "better" it was, it still wasn't enough to get a public option through, right? That the Democrats never had the 60 votes necessary to accomplish it? No excuses, that's just the fact.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:06 AM

42,880 posts, read 26,443,228 times
Quote:
Medicaid was expanded in AZ, Obamacare rates went up over 116% this year AND choices dropped to ONE.
Next partisan blame game candidate...
Estimates for healthcare costs in Arizona were way off, that is why risk corridors were part of the program, without them insurers bailed out before losing more money.
No blame game, just facts

Old 03-24-2017, 10:08 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,164,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Here's my deal. If my provider who is the only provider for the plan I'm on (we are Tricare) leaves, I'm screwed. I have to either change my plan or go on base which I get to wait 2 weeks plus for an appointment on top of driving over 30 min. I have already switched the kids and myself from one provider because of several reasons.
Now as for the whole Medicare thing. I do not agree with it. Dr's are leaving Medicare just like they are leaving Tricare. Why? Because they have to agree to provide a service for X amount of money. Also they have a hard time collecting what is owed. Also my grandma had Medicare where she had to purchase part B so her Tricare for Life would be in play. When her dr up and shut his practice down last minute with no warning, it literally took months for my mom to find another Dr who accepted Medicare and TFL.
Why would I wish that stress on someone? Why would I wish the stress of needing a same day appointment to only be told "we have nothing available for 2 weeks. Too bad." (Yes I've personally been told this).
I really wish people would be careful of what they wish for because the grass is not always greener on the other side. There are times I've missed the healthcare I had through my job prior to my husband joining.

From your lips to God's ears. I really wish our politicians would do this. I still think they should have a pay reduction of 114K and find out how it is to live off 60K a year. If anything have them start with people not getting penalized for not having health insurance.

I don't think it is ready for a medicare for all but that is my opinion. Sometimes it is good to keep the government out of somethings.
Yes, Medicare sets rates. If a doctor can't make a profit under the Medicare allowable, there is something wrong with the way he is operating his practice or there is an issue with your region which can be addressed by Congress if enough people complain. Medicare's administrative overhead is less than 2%. The average private payer? Upwards of 25% or more.

And believe me, if everybody had Medicare, 99% of them would take it and be happy. In my area, most of the private payers are paying 20% less than the Medicare allowable AND requiring prior authorization and all that.

Medicare primary with Tricare secondary is a walk in the park because they coordinate benefits. Tricare on its own is a massive pain in the ass. I hated dealing with them.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,960,951 times
Quote:
Tell that to the people who cannot afford to pay for the premiums because they went through the roof or the deductibles of 6K and only have ONE company to choose from, or some NONE.
Yep, Obamacare is working baby...
And that would be the situation in Massachusetts as well. One difference is that Massachusetts did not block the Medicare Expansion necessary for ACA to function as intended. The fact that that was made optional to satisfy Republicans doomed a national rollout of ACA from go. "States Rights" is the biggest impediment to the continued existence of America than anything else I can think of. $54B in increased military spending to keep us safe from who? WTF is going to attack America from across two of the biggest oceans on the planet? Mexico? Canada? And a $15B wall to keep Central Americans out when they are no longer trying to come here? Our biggest enemy is ourselves, and our complete inability to function like a COUNTRY!!!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
If I were a freedom caucus member, this would be my dilemma:

1. Vote for this bill because it keeps promise of repealing Obamacare alive, and now sends bill to senate. I know the senate will likely drastically change this legislation before they send it back to the House, so then I can vote no and blame it on the senate.

BUT:

2. What if senate passes the same bill as the House, and then my vote for this bill helped pass it and is used to crucify me in the general election?

3. What if I vote no and Trump moves on from health care and Obamacare stays, and that is used to crucify me in the next primary?
If you were a Freedom Caucus (for as I say, Freedom Caucasian) member, you should be thinking about what is better for your constituents and not feeding your ideology.

According to David Brooks, "This bill takes the most vicious progressive stereotypes about conservatives and validates them." It throws 24 mil off insurance; stops basic set of benefits like maternity care, emergency services, mental health and wellness visits. Now, Trump has agreed to back off on the provision that bars companies from setting insurance rates based on a person’s sex or medical condition -- in other words, preexisting conditions.

Why again is this bill better than Obamacare, again?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,351,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You do understand that no matter how much "better" it was, it still wasn't enough to get a public option through, right? That the Democrats never had the 60 votes necessary to accomplish it? No excuses, that's just the fact.
No I do NOT. We got Social Security done. We got Medicare done. We went to war even though everyone was against it.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,960,951 times
Quote:
Medicaid was expanded in AZ, Obamacare rates went up over 116% this year AND choices dropped to ONE.
Next partisan blame game candidate...
My insurer made over $6B in 2015 after ACA became law and still filed for a 66% rate hike. Is that the fault of the ACA, or is simple greed, or perhaps a pre-arranged strategy to cause a mass boycott of ACA for political reasons? If you don't think some numbered accounts weren't created to reward insurers for biting Obamacare in the butt by spurning the Mother of All Captive Audiences, you just aren't thinking like an objective individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies