Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
How do you know there is no strategy?

Many on the left here, and leaders around the world, have praised this action against Syria. It will actually serve to decrease uncertainty and confusion. Finally, after so many red lines in the sand that have been crossed, the US said, in response to horrendous attack on civilians, "enough!" It can serve as a deterrent at least for a while and realign some strategic pieces on the chess board.

Bob Woodward said it was perfectly proportional, not too much, not too little. In his words, "less is more in this case."
Your assessment may be right. Lot's of different opinions cross the partisan lines on this issue.
The deed is done. We'll see how it washes out.

As an ex combat vet with too many tours, I'm always suspect of rapid military action with no endgame policy. But when one reviews history, that's always how the next conflagration starts and mothers start losing their sons. It always starts small with just 1, C-130 and a half dozen coffins but after a year or so, they're landing every 90 seconds and just pushing them off the rollers onto the Dover Tarmac.
Tonkin Gulf............Afghanistan............Iraq....... .....and on.

Maybe I'm peeing into a hurricane in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default A little history

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It will be interesting to see how this is all woven into the "Trump is a puppet of Russia" meme.
Yah, well, KGB Lt. Col. Putin is from the old school. In the USSR, that meant the Punishment Battalions led off in the front lines against the Nazis on the Eastern Front during WWII, & loyal party machine-gunners followed. The Punishment Battalions could not turn back, could not retreat, could not even hold in place. If they didn't march, the party MGs were to open fire on any who shirked.

Brutal, but effective. Would Putin willingly sacrifice a few - less than 100? - Syrian civilians, in order to advance a pawn to be queened? Of course he would - he'd gladly wade through rivers, lakes, oceans of blood - especially of people who don't even belong to him nor his, who aren't fellow nomenklatura members - to achieve his & the KGB's old goal - to be the sword & shield of the party.

I think we just have to wait & see what develops in the investigation of CIS influence in the last election.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Old man talking and young men die. .... Have we forgotten Iraq? Vietnam? What happened to the critical thinking in this country?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default It was early days

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How far did the bomb we dropped on Hiroshima carry?
Meaning the radiation carried on the fallout of the bomb's detonation? It was an airburst, so there wasn't a lot of uptake. Plus it rained a lot after the drop - Japan had lots of clouds, rain, storms - one of the reasons that delivery of the nukes turned into such a nightmare.

The rain would have washed any radioactive particles down, into the streets, rivers, & into the sea. See Radiation Injuries | The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki | Historical Documents | atomicarchive.com

"The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

"Radiation Injuries

"As pointed out in another section of this report the radiations from the nuclear explosions which caused injuries to persons were primarily those experienced within the first second after the explosion; a few may have occurred later, but all occurred in the first minute. The other two general types of radiation, viz., radiation from scattered fission products and induced radioactivity from objects near the center of explosion, were definitely proved not to have caused any casualties."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

Both attacks were airbursts, & so relatively little matter was pulled up into the fireball & exposed to high levels of radiation. Ground bursts would have generated more radioactive fallout - but the rains would still have washed the particulates out of the air & into the water & then to the sea.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Do you agree with Trump's decision to strike a Syrian air force base?
  • No (65%, 5,381 Votes)
  • Yes (23%, 1,913 Votes)
  • I don't know (11%, 930 Votes)
Total Voters: 8,224

100% ppl that voted for trump.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:55 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
I don't agree with the airstrikes. America first. MAGA. Blah blah blah

Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 PM

130 posts, read 71,823 times
Just the other day, the thread was "what is Trump going to do now? Nothing!". Trump does something and now the opposite reaction. Who is he to do something?!?!

Old 04-07-2017, 10:25 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Meaning the radiation carried on the fallout of the bomb's detonation? It was an airburst, so there wasn't a lot of uptake. Plus it rained a lot after the drop - Japan had lots of clouds, rain, storms - one of the reasons that delivery of the nukes turned into such a nightmare.

The rain would have washed any radioactive particles down, into the streets, rivers, & into the sea. See Radiation Injuries | The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki | Historical Documents | atomicarchive.com

"The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

"Radiation Injuries

"As pointed out in another section of this report the radiations from the nuclear explosions which caused injuries to persons were primarily those experienced within the first second after the explosion; a few may have occurred later, but all occurred in the first minute. The other two general types of radiation, viz., radiation from scattered fission products and induced radioactivity from objects near the center of explosion, were definitely proved not to have caused any casualties."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

Both attacks were airbursts, & so relatively little matter was pulled up into the fireball & exposed to high levels of radiation. Ground bursts would have generated more radioactive fallout - but the rains would still have washed the particulates out of the air & into the water & then to the sea.
I was in that micro-thread I think he meant the civilians killed when their cities were targeted in an effort to hit the factories supporting the war. That among the last two attacks were nukes and not hundreds of bombers gives him the argument

Old 04-07-2017, 10:27 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
[url]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8xvOieXcAAWo1G.jpg[/url]

Wonder what Hannity will be saying today?
Great link. I had to look twice at the date, however!

Old 04-07-2017, 11:04 PM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do you agree with Trump's decision to strike a Syrian air force base?
  • No (65%, 5,381 Votes)
  • Yes (23%, 1,913 Votes)
  • I don't know (11%, 930 Votes)
Total Voters: 8,224

100% ppl that voted for trump.
Its not a bad idea politically because Democrats and some independents like the military action, so President Trump can gain support from those folks.
And I don't think President Trump will lose his base, whether they agree with the Syrian strikes or not, because I've never seen a more enthusiastic and loyal base than the Trump base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies