Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 11:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Odd, isn't it? It's not like anything so sensible or responsible would ever happen in their states so why get so worked up? I think that, secretly, they all really want to live in CA.
I think you're right otherwise it makes no sense...it's California envy, just like the hundreds of posts criticizing public pensions all come from people who aren't going to have a pension.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually CA has been writing these rules of various types for decades- MANY DECADES - and not only have they "gotten away with it", but the cars (and many other things) you are I are using reflect these changes and improvements. Everything from lawnmowers to generators to chainsaws, etc. are MUCH cleaner and the standards have been adopted almost everywhere.

Meanwhile, the economy of CA is on an amazing roll - they are producing more wealth for more people worldwide than anything seen before in history.

But - heck - you have this neat little cut and paste that has their future figured out. Meantime, educated people from all over the world and country are running to CA to make job applications at the companies that drive the modern world.

I know - chicken plucking is under rated and sooner or later these people are going to work at meat packing instead of engineering.....
This.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:42 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Question for you, did you really expect to be able to make that claim without it being challenged?
It's not really a claim of fact, it's an article of faith among the right. As with most faith-based convictions, it's internalized very deep and won't budge to reason nor fact.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
This **** up of a State can't leave America soon enough.

Caliexit 2018!
You're quite welcome to keep buying gas in East Rumpscrew, Montana.

We'll keep growing your food and making your wine, producing your entertainment, building your spacecraft and along the way, we'll engineer the servers, routers and switches that provide the Internet you're currently using to complain.

Chances are even your local Wal-Mart is stocked with goods that passed though our ports.

As for me, I'll go for a run on the beach.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
rebel over a 12 cent a gallon increase in the gas tax? If you drive 15,000 miles a year and get 15 miles to a gallon that means an increase of $120. It's really hard for me to see people 'rebelling' over that. But honestly if people leave because of it, that's wonderful 39 million people is far too many, let's hope we can pare it down to about 30 million.
It is not the 12 cent per gallon increase. It is the cumulative effect of ever higher taxes and ever more onerous regulation that eventually people reach their limit on. The problem with dropping from 39 million to 30 million is that the 9 million that leave will be productive residents. The vast entitlement crowd will stay, but with fewer producers to support them.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually CA has been writing these rules of various types for decades- MANY DECADES - and not only have they "gotten away with it", but the cars (and many other things) you are I are using reflect these changes and improvements. Everything from lawnmowers to generators to chainsaws, etc. are MUCH cleaner and the standards have been adopted almost everywhere.

Meanwhile, the economy of CA is on an amazing roll - they are producing more wealth for more people worldwide than anything seen before in history.

But - heck - you have this neat little cut and paste that has their future figured out. Meantime, educated people from all over the world and country are running to CA to make job applications at the companies that drive the modern world.

I know - chicken plucking is under rated and sooner or later these people are going to work at meat packing instead of engineering.....
Go on thinking that the future is just more of the same and that nothing the CA govt does will ever come back to haunt them. The pendulum only swings so far in one direction.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:29 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
It is not the 12 cent per gallon increase. It is the cumulative effect of ever higher taxes and ever more onerous regulation that eventually people reach their limit on. The problem with dropping from 39 million to 30 million is that the 9 million that leave will be productive residents. The vast entitlement crowd will stay, but with fewer producers to support them.
Actually, California exports its poor. That's why California SNAP rolls are going down while Texas, even with all its SNAP restrictions, are going up.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:35 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Higher gas taxes = forces people to buy more fuel efficient cars.

So pick one: cleaner air or lower gas taxes.

Apparently you chose lower gas taxes. Have fun breathing in smog. Smart one you are.
Higher gas taxes raises the price of goods since almost all products are transported on roads in America. Higher gas taxes also hurts the low wage earners, since now they have to pay more for both gas, food and other necessities.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Go on thinking that the future is just more of the same and that nothing the CA govt does will ever come back to haunt them. The pendulum only swings so far in one direction.
Kinda like how Kansas' "business-friendly" governor is about to see the economy roar to life any day now? Any. Day. Now.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 PM

10,461 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Because air quality and smog affects everyone, not just you. You're also really brilliant too. Want to breath in smog and die earlier? Go for it. Not me.

No one is dictating what you drive, you're just paying extra to smog up the air. Discouraging is different from dictating. Get your vocabulary in line.

Go back and look at Downtown LA in the 50s and 60s. Look how smoggy it was. Compare it to now. You're telling me regulation/taxation doesn't work?

If I wanted as the government to dictate something, I would enact a law to outlaw SUVs and trucks completely from being sold.
Outlaw trucks? Damn, are you like 8 or something? We need trucks for farms, transporting kids in buses, paramedic trucks, firetrucks, semi-trucks to transport goods, trucks to transport lawn equipment and construction equipment to build, renovate and maintain homes and other structures, trucks to transport equipment to keep infrastructure and roads maintained. I need my truck to haul farming goods and equipment and to trailer my horses to and from shows, camping grounds and vets...... I am so glad short sided individuals like you aren't in control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies