Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 12:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL, sorry, don't expect me to take this as a serious reply.
Take it as you will. But I will take his response over anyone else's especially after one of the KIA in the past year happened in front of him.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, Nobody knows.

However, for civilians, either staying in some form of shelter or fleeing the area are about the only defenses against being targeted when two groups of combatants catch them in a crossfire.

In a conflict where both sides adhere to the laws of war, it will be much easier as soldiers will be required to wear distinctive uniforms and they won't be using civilian-occupied buildings.

When the enemy doesn't care about these things and actively hides among the population, things get trickier.

That is just how it is.

There's no perfect way to go. Mistakes are made both ways (shooting at the wrong people or not shooting at the right people). Unfortunately, sometimes a soldier can do everything right (adhering to the rules of engagement, utilizing escalation of force to give the target sufficient warnings and opportunity to stop) and still kill the wrong people (such as a father deciding to run a checkpoint with his entire family in the vehicle for no discernable reason).

SOME People (assuming, some posters here in this very forum) have some clear definition of war crime, some people (like me) don't judge a soldier or a Marine in the battle field.

War is horror, don't expect perfection.
Don't participate and there are no mistakes. You claim concern for the soldiers and yet these actions are in part why our soldiers come home broken. It's inevitable when you walk into an area you just bombed and find dead women and children.

The pilots of the planes dropping bombs on the hospital we blew up questioned whether their orders were even legal. They were told to shut up and follow orders. I can imagine the thought of dropping bombs on innocent people haunt many of them everyday. We can stop it.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:43 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Take it as you will. But I will take his response over anyone else's especially after one of the KIA in the past year happened in front of him.
Thank you. I'll take first-hand info over any other any day of the week.

And thank your husband for his service for me.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:44 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Don't participate and there are no mistakes.
I have no problems with that. But if my friends are in war, I expect you to stay quiet and not judging them.

The short answer to this is that it (civilian death) is unavoidable. It can be minimized, but to demand that no civilians be killed in such circumstances is utopian. Close combat in an urban environment demands split-second decision-making. Deciding wrongly may rersult in the killing of civilians—or in the death of the soldier. If you haven't been there, don't be too quick to render judgement.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:45 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Don't participate and there are no mistakes.
How incredibly short-sighted can one be, lol?

Old 04-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have no problems with that. But if my friends are in war, I expect you to stay quiet and not judging them.
Judge? I want to stop the reasons they come home broken.

Quote:
The short answer to this is that it (civilian death) is unavoidable. It can be minimized, but to demand that no civilians be killed in such circumstances is utopian. Close combat in an urban environment demands split-second decision-making. Deciding wrongly may rersult in the killing of civilians—or in the death of the soldier. If you haven't been there, don't be too quick to render judgement.
It is 100% avoidable.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:49 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Judge? I want to stop the reasons they come home broken.

It is 100% avoidable.
well, two separate issues.

I don't want them to be in war in the first place, just like you

but if they ARE in battle field, civilian death is not avoidable.

I am not really contradicting you.

by the way, I posted this

Close combat in an urban environment demands split-second decision-making. Deciding wrongly may rersult in the killing of civilians—or in the death of the soldier. If you haven't been there, don't be too quick to render judgement.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Can I personally prove this? Has wiki been wrong very often?

WikiLeaks: The Afghan Tunnels the US Just Bombed — “They were built by the CIA”

WikiLeaks: The Afghan Tunnels the US Just Bombed

Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
while i doubt they are lying , i also doubt the MOAB matter much at all. I see it as trump just ramping up military to ramp up his polling and to justify the massive spend he is going to be asking for.

If the wars are winding down, he will have a hard time getting the monies. But with "scary scary" missiles bombs and NK, Trump might just be able to convince the GOP to fund his big fat half trillion ask.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:53 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Can I personally prove this? Has wiki been wrong very often?

WikiLeaks: The Afghan Tunnels the US Just Bombed — “They were built by the CIA”

WikiLeaks: The Afghan Tunnels the US Just Bombed

You use wiki links to justify your lack of education,amazing.I swear you and Trump are related ,he takes no responsability for anything and neither do you,but you both complain ,....a lot,about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies