Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
But ISIS is different. If you don't believe that, research how many priceless places and artifacts have been destroyed by ISIS. Some of these places and irreplaceable artifacts have existed for 1000's of years, surviving many wars and catastrophes. But they didn't survive ISIS.
Different?

BAMIYAN, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At the foot of cliffs in central Afghanistan, about 5,000 fragments of what were once among the world's great artistic and religious treasures, the Buddhas of Bamiyan, sit in rudimentary shelters.

Their destruction by the Taliban in March 2001 was an act of cultural vandalism on a spectacular scale. The two tallest standing Buddhas in the world -- which had stood as silent sentinels over the snow-capped valley of Bamiyan for more than 1,500 years -- were reduced to mere rubble.

Wire mesh now covers the cliffs to prevent them from deteriorating further, while archaeologists and restoration experts have cataloged the fragments that remain of the giant statues.

Taliban-destroyed Buddhas may never be restored - CNN.com

Old 04-15-2017, 09:13 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The tunnels the CIA built
To help mujahadeen fight the russians. That had the intended effect, Afghanistan is not part of part Russia, I guess if we are being intellectually honest Afghanistan would have separated at the collapse of the Soviet Union, so yea live and learn on that one.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:18 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
To help mujahadeen fight the russians. That had the intended effect, Afghanistan is not part of part Russia, I guess if we are being intellectually honest Afghanistan would have separated at the collapse of the Soviet Union, so yea live and learn on that one.
Covert ops and funding Afghan fighters worked, and contributed to the collapse of the USSR. I remember images/video of the Soviets retreating in humiliation from Afghanistan and demoralized soldiers returning home and spreading discontent.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:24 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
Either we do it big or not at all. This includes NK. Our problem is the little tiny baby steps. I'm not for being involved, but, if we are going to stick our noises in it we might as well blow really hard.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Different?

BAMIYAN, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At the foot of cliffs in central Afghanistan, about 5,000 fragments of what were once among the world's great artistic and religious treasures, the Buddhas of Bamiyan, sit in rudimentary shelters.

Their destruction by the Taliban in March 2001 was an act of cultural vandalism on a spectacular scale. The two tallest standing Buddhas in the world -- which had stood as silent sentinels over the snow-capped valley of Bamiyan for more than 1,500 years -- were reduced to mere rubble.

Wire mesh now covers the cliffs to prevent them from deteriorating further, while archaeologists and restoration experts have cataloged the fragments that remain of the giant statues.

Taliban-destroyed Buddhas may never be restored - CNN.com
Yes, different. Take the all the Taliban's worst traits, multiply them by 10, then add some even more heinous actions and laws, then you start to approach the realm of ISIS.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
94 dead so far and no civilians! =D
You can tell by their uniforms?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I tend to believe the experts instead of partisans who believe partisan media who don't have the inside scoop or expertise, especially after their having an 8 year shot at resolving the issue but failed.
So, you do not believe 94 were killed as reported by the "partisan media".

What are your "experts" tell you?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
I think it was a sucker punch.

There are numerous news reports covering the "on going battle" where Afghan forces had repeatedly tried to ferret out ISIS fighters. And the ISIS fighters would retreat into the caves and so forth where they were safe.
Then, when ISIS had called in all the troops they could, the good guys pulled back and dropped the Big One.

I don't think there will be a really accurate death toll. An atmosphere explosion like that seals up entrances, collapses caves in the earth, and so forth. For all we know there may be survivors as we speak, but they won't last long and no one is going to dig them out.

Reports are that the Afghan forces removed the occupants from the only house that was in the way. Other people many miles away felt the explosion and saw the light.

ISIS has no place in the civilized world.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
CNN = fake news. ISIS said no one was killed.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Yes, different. Take the all the Taliban's worst traits, multiply them by 10, then add some even more heinous actions and laws, then you start to approach the realm of ISIS.
All different when it comes to level of conflict, damage, death toll, ruins, but otherwise not so much different when it comes to the futility that for the most part has been American foreign policy to address these problems. Now including ISIS and Trump bombing Syria I think. I wish I were wrong, but I don't think I am given what we SHOULD have learned from the sad history going back to American involvement post-WWI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies