Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
The question is simple:

If financial support for a child that approximates 25-40% of Dad's gross income is so important, why are those in authority perfectly ok with Mom providing 0 financial support to their child?

Because men don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
The question is simple:

If financial support for a child that approximates 25-40% of Dad's gross income is so important, why are those in authority perfectly ok with Mom providing 0 financial support to their child?
If mom (or dad) can work but don't the court imputes income at what they could make with their education and skills if employed. If the child is very young the courts don't usually require the custodial parent to work, but in most states there is a presumption that both parents are equally capable of parenting so I would suggest that the parent with the large child support obligation file for either shared or full custody.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:05 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
The child support system as administered does seem to be unfair. It should be evenly balanced, but it clearly isn't. If the mother makes $60,000/year and the father makes $40,000, then the mother should contribute 60% of the child's support. I alos think it;s unfair that a parent should have to continue paying support when unemployed, if through no fault of his or her own and the other parent is employed.

Rulkes are easy in practice, but then people come along and game the system.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
The question is simple:

Simply not true. A court can award custody of a child to a father and impel the mother to pay support.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
The question is simple:

Women increasingly are ordered to pay child support.

For many years I was the working spouse while my husband was the stay at home dad. Had we divorced or separated, there was no question I would have been required to pay child support and likely alimony for a defined period of time.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:11 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Sorry, I have no sympathy for men who brought children into this world and are trying to avoid paying their share. It doesn't matter what the woman is paying, a man looks out for his children if he wants to call himself a man.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:14 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
My kid cost me a lot more than 25% of my take home.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
The child support system as administered does seem to be unfair. It should be evenly balanced, but it clearly isn't. If the mother makes $60,000/year and the father makes $40,000, then the mother should contribute 60% of the child's support. I alos think it;s unfair that a parent should have to continue paying support when unemployed, if through no fault of his or her own and the other parent is employed.

Rulkes are easy in practice, but then people come along and game the system.
It depends on the time each parent has with the child, that is part of the support formula. If one parent has the child 20% of the time and the other parent 80% of the time the court determines child support based on that, if parent's don't like that they should push for shared custody, that way each parent has the child 50% of the time and if they both make the same amount of money neither of them would pay support to the other.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
My daughter's sperm donor was court ordered to pay only $32/week for the majority of the time I had my daughter. At one point he was nearly $20k in arrears. He was a government worker making decent money and deliberately did all he could to avoid paying. The courts refused to ever punish him for it.

I had to stay in college supporting us on student loans because no employer was willing to employ and retain me due to all of my health problems. I owe over $170k in student loan debt and that figure keeps rising with interest. I am still unemployable by employer standards, so it is impossible for me to ever repay that money. I have trouble getting money now since I have no income.

After the court stripped me of custody and gave her to the man who raped and tortured me, I was court ordered to pay child support to my rapist, even though by then I was on SSI receiving little over $600/month. I spent a lot of time living in my car because I couldn't afford a place to live. The court system was going to jail me for six months at one point because I was in arrears of $30 (ex never did have to pay his arrears). I was facing homelessness yet again at the time. I was not even allowed supervised visits with my daughter because of false abuse allegations made against me by my family (who years later lied to the government and caused me to also lose my SSI). I was treated far worse than my rapist for falling behind in support. Not only that, but my arrears weren't intentional while his always was.

The courts are far harder on women for arrears than the men, as my case shows. He owes nearly $10k in arrears, but the courts won't ever make him pay it, but I was threatened with jail for being $30 behind. Fortunately, my mother got a $30 money order and paid it so that I wouldn't go to jail. She's the only one in the family that has ever been even a little sorry for lying about me to the government and helping my rapist get custody. It cost me a lot more to raise my daughter than he was ever ordered to pay in child support, even though I had to borrow the money. I took on massive debt to take care of my daughter, and her biological father did all he could to avoid providing for her.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:03 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Women increasingly are ordered to pay child support.

For many years I was the working spouse while my husband was the stay at home dad. Had we divorced or separated, there was no question I would have been required to pay child support and likely alimony for a defined period of time.
Only if you wanted it that way. As a woman you could easily have primary custody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies