Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not going to lie to my children.

You can be a hard worker with your own goals and still understand that the American Dream is a myth.
you are completely correct.

I don't lie to my kids. I don't direct them to life awfulness nor rub their faces in it. But i certainly show them the economic truth of life in the USA.
It is a winner takes all nation, almost zero support or chances for the poor and the system is designed to reward wealth and to punish poverty.

Taxation is geared to allow those with money to pay few taxes and has many structures to do so throughout life. My money is allowed to make money tax free, my profits are allowed to be pushed from one spot to another in order to pay much less tax.

Many on the left and many on the right actually want the same things, the big difference is many on the right have been fooled into thinking social programs are bad and will bankrupt the USA. But the truth is we have the biggest wealth gap of any free democratic developed nation.... hmmm maybe that means we are taxing unfairly..

Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Egalitarian means equal social status and equal opportunities. It doesn't mean equal results.
I missed the part where I said I wanted equal results. Can you please point to it?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Then write to your congress member. Don't act like taking more of my money is going to solve their inadequacy.
There was a thread on UHC where I addressed this issue.

If you look at the numbers regarding how much you pay in taxes, healthcare benefits/premiums, copays, etc. you'd see that we are paying nearly the same amount as countries with a plethora of social benefit programs while not getting the same return.

IOW, we might not have to pay anymore. Just reallocate money and to whom we pay it.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
I am not against social programs but I expect a better ROI than I am currently getting from my government. One with less fraud and waste.

https://www.cagw.org/critical-waste-115th

Old 05-18-2017, 10:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
A large portion of Americans seem to be against social programs even though it may be for the common good. When there is talk of the (on average) much better social programs in many European countries the general response is "well, they have to spend more on taxes". To which I ask.....so? If it meant far better health care, far better maternity leave, etc. isn't that worth it? Do not the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one?
1. Forcing people at gunpoint to pay for your own compassion is never acceptable.
2. Forcing people at gunpoint to pay for your own responsibility is never acceptable.
3. There are far better ways to help the poor people than just simply giving them money.
4. If you aren't willing to spend your own money to help others, please don't ask others to do it. Pool your money together and create a fund to fund any social programs you like.
5. Supporting a party that wants to import millions of poor illegal immigrants is essentially to screw the poor Americans.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I am not against social programs but I expect a better ROI than I am currently getting from my government. One with less fraud and waste.

Yes, this is definitely part of the problem. But this starts with us citizens. We need to stop being so apathetic and downright ignorant about what our government representatives are doing with our money.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
My reasoning is entirely rational. A more egalitarian society is a more stable one. If wealth and power is slowly concentrated in a smaller and smaller group, those who have very little will grow in numbers. They will notice an abuse of power is being done to secure their wealth, and they will take action, almost always in the form of some radical leftist revolution. It's happened in many countries throughout the last few centuries. The French overthrew the monarch and you saw how that ended. The Russians overthrew the Czar and you saw how that ended. Is this really a path you want to even risk? I don't. Which is why I feel a democratic (or republican; let's not debate the difference right now since we all should be smart enough to know what I'm saying) system is best preserved when policy is made that allows those with less an actual chance to get ahead. It's not saying "**** the rich" or "fix all your problems." It's saying those with more can pay a little bit more so that those with less have an opportunity to make something of themselves.
I understand that, even though I disagree. I've usually found you to be pretty reasonable. Still doesn't mean it's not a violation of property rights, but from the perspective of someone who isn't dedicated to maintaining the idea of property, that would be a logical conclusion.

Maybe I should have said "often" instead of "always" in my post. It's just extremely common that people ignore my ACTUAL issues with it and throw out the old "you're just using that as an excuse to be selfish and heartless". They can't accept that someone can care about people as much as they do, but find their means of doing it totally unacceptable.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post

And just how much of the $18 trillion GDP of this nation comes from you that you expect ROI of any kind?

Learn your place in life.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
I don't think people are against social programs, I know I am not. What I am against is the abuse of them. That is the kicker, how do you control that ? For instance, Welfare. I live near Detroit, and like many that live in or near large cities , we see the worst abuse of the system. I think this jades many of us because we see the abuse first hand.

I don't have an answer on how to fix things, I do know I am not in favor of helping those that really can help themselves.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Definition of American Dream: the ideal that every US citizen should have an equal opportunity to achieve success and prosperity through hard work, determination, and initiative.

."
oh please

my family started out dirt poor

my father taught me to work...taught me a skill

my father was a wise man

work hard, learn hard, and you WILL achieve...you will succeed ... and a 6 figure income is not a measurement of success.

I have learned many skills... and worked hard.... loved hard... blood, sweat , and tears....

everyone has that opportunity... even those who unfortunately are born with disabilities...even those poor into a poor family.....

my son was born , with a learning disorder.... just graduated from Hofstra university
my daughter has severe dyslexia... and is succeeding in high school... lot of hard work and perseverance on her, and my wife and I..... my daughter is determine not to have the disability keep her down

why are you such a negative nelly??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies