Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 11:26 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I do.

And this is why.

You began working and raising children in the early 80s when there were still plenty of jobs around. You had the ability to work your way up and keep your job for a long time. But today, we are losing jobs left and right due to automation and its only going to continue. At some point, we need to seriously reassess how we look at wages, healthcare, etc. because the old way just isn't working anymore.
Automation is not fixing my furnace when it breaks, or my septic system, or my new fandangled computer chip run car, or upgrading my electrical panel, or putting a new roof on my house, or a whole host of other careers that people don't seem to think are "good" jobs any longer. Multiply that by hundreds in every city and town across the nation and there are plenty of jobs with no one to fill them.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But today, we are losing jobs left and right due to automation and its only going to continue.
And whose fault is that? Are robots coming from space and invading the earth? No. It's your fellow man doing that to you. Your fellow man is constructing a world where typical human skills are no longer needed--in effect engineering self-obsolescence. The day we started moving away from a society of skilled artisans to a society of automation was the day we began the descent to our own superannuation. Ultimately it will result in a think tank full of artificial intelligence engineers and a "society" of artificial life being all that relevant. The rest of us will be obsolete, irrelevant, and a burden to the brave new world. And what do you do with the items that are obsolete and irrelevant when you clean out your cupboards? Do you stack them in the corner and "support" them for the rest of your life?

Old 05-18-2017, 11:37 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
A large portion of Americans seem to be against social programs even though it may be for the common good. When there is talk of the (on average) much better social programs in many European countries the general response is "well, they have to spend more on taxes". To which I ask.....so? If it meant far better health care, far better maternity leave, etc. isn't that worth it? Do not the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one?
Because we're already taxed to death with them and they're ineffective. They're mostly nothing but entitlements and redistribution schemes that the Democratic party uses to lock in its voter base. Let's look at the inner city black community. Are they better off now than when Johnson initiated his Great Society social programs nearly 50 yrs ago? The answer is no, they're way worse off in terms of family structure, crime and dependence on government assistance. It's a collapsed culture that has arguably been ruined by the unintended consequences of govt entitlement policies. But the liberal's perpetual answer to this accelerating failure is "Yeah but if you just gave a little more!".

It's not working. Your "common good" justification has been proven bankrupt. The only good its done is to keep a bought voter base joined to the Democratic party's hip even though it's insanity for them to keep voting for a system that's driving them deeper and deeper into poverty and dysfunction. After fifty years we aren't responding to you playing the compassion card anymore. What you're selling us is either intolerably naive or it's cynical pandering.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And whose fault is that? Are robots coming from space and invading the earth? No. It's your fellow man doing that to you. Your fellow man is constructing a world where typical human skills are no longer needed--in effect engineering self-obsolescence. The day we started moving away from a society of skilled artisans to a society of automation was the day we began the descent to our own superannuation. Ultimately it will result in a think tank full of artificial intelligence engineers and a "society" of artificial life being all that relevant. The rest of us will be obsolete, irrelevant, and a burden to the brave new world. And what do you do with the items that are obsolete and irrelevant when you clean out your cupboards? Do you stack them in the corner and "support" them for the rest of your life?
I picture a life of Wall-E floating around on hover crafts with no bone structure and a giant big gulp sippy cup.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:46 AM

18,459 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Most Americans are against helping those struggling- as its always the fault of that person. Never mind that murica is ranked low in economic mobility; when you're down, that's where you'll stay. Of course they always point to the rare exception of the dirt poor to billionaire story, not realizing that If it was so easy EVERYONE would be doing it and it wouldnt be news. They despise their tax dollars going to help others, yet have no problem paying for stupid wars and corporate welfare.
Who said it was supposed to be easy?

No, it's not easy becoming rich from being dirt poor.

But the fact is, rising above your station in life, at least to some degree.....say to middle class from lower middle class for example...... doesn't require herculean effort.

It takes time and dedication yes.....sometimes decades.

But if a dumbass ex stoner like me can do it....guess what?

So can a lot of others.

Last edited by FatBob96; 05-18-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Do you expect your government to use your tax dollars wisely without waste and fraud while receiving a benefit or return in the form of services such as police, fire, parks, roads, etc.?
Of course I don't. Because I'm not a college Freshman whose libertarian roommate "really made him think".

I have said time and time again, specifically on this board, that it is pointless to try and stamp out all corruption or all waste. Humans are imperfect. Anything we build is going to be imperfect.

This includes our economy, which is as far from free-market capitalism as giant corporations could move it. I don't care who is on welfare or why-- I don't want to know. Somehow our system didn't work, but at most they're scamming the government for... Dozens of dollars a year?

We subsidize corporate jet fuel costs, and you're begrudging EVERYONE the possibility of social safety nets because SOME of the spending MAY BE inefficient?

Really?

Quote:
Is this not the same expectation held by shareholders? Don't boards and shareholders fire the ones at the top if the company or their funds are mismanaged? It is not that difficult of an analogy to understand if you weren't bent on having an internet pissing contest
No, it is very different. Common stock issued by a corporation is something you buy. Citizenship with rights and privileges guaranteed by a government is something you are born into.

Why are you so confused about this? We are not shareholders. Society is not a corporation. You are limiting yourself to what your overlords would prefer you take-- nothing. You're giving away the potential for everything so that you can imagine yourself "one day" realizing the American Dream and having a seat at the table.

You need to stop giving this system respect, because you're never going to be important. You're always going to be a peon, working with other peons, down here in Peon World with the rest of us. Demand more for yourself and your children, because you are never going to be able to afford ownership.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
This is a myth.

Americans love Social Security, Medicare and public schools. Americans are not against social programs. But the ruling donor class is. And they have enormous influence over the dominant media and the political system.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes I began working in the 80's...actually in the 70's (first job at 16 was with White Castle)

but I didn't get married till 1992, my first born was 1994 (I have 5 kids ranging from 23 to 5)

there are still plenty of jobs out there... and automation is not taking them all away

took auto shop in HS
got a job at a dealer doing new car prep (mechanic background, but no experience)
worked my way to class c mech....to class b mech....to class a mech......to shop foreman....to service manager.....

have skills in home improvement (skills carpenter, skiled mason, skilled and licensed electrician, skilled plumber, and cabinet maker)
vehicle mechanics
transportation supervisor/expert
building maintenance supervisor
facility manager
EMT

I worked...worked hard....learned.listened..learned hard.....made some stupid choices too.......but i have made a good living for myself and my family

sorry but I am an optimist , not a pessimist...I see the glass half full, you seem to be a half empty type of person
No, I'm a realist. And I live in the now.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Whose fault? Why the free market baby. Profit trumps all, you know that.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No there isn't. Both are government policies. There is no such thing as a loophole.
One pays less tax, while the other receives money from the government. Yes, it is a big difference, especially considering the fact that corporations don't pay taxes, people pay taxes. And, most corporate tax monies is paid by the average citizen through higher prices, lower wages, less jobs and lower investment returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies