Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM

16,211 posts, read 11,392,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i don't think American are against social programs per say, what they are against the these programs being FEDERAL programs. most of the crap the feds cover should be done at the state level. a one size fits all program doesn't fit anyone.
That and the fact (to which "progressives" will never admit) that the bureaucratic maze creates all manner of imbalances and loopholes which a person with even a moderate amount of knowledge, but an empty conscience, can exploit.

Below is a link to an example I've been citing for a couple of years:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...ut-justin.html

If he had to depend entirely upon support from a small community where he's well-known, he'd be shoveling manure for minimum wage for the rest of his days.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-18-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM

7,519 posts, read 2,825,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
And just how much of the $18 trillion GDP of this nation comes from you that you expect ROI of any kind?

Learn your place in life.
Taxpayers are investors.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,683,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1. Forcing people at gunpoint to pay for your own compassion is never acceptable.
2. Forcing people at gunpoint to pay for your own responsibility is never acceptable.
3. There are far better ways to help the poor people than just simply giving them money.
4. If you aren't willing to spend your own money to help others, please don't ask others to do it. Pool your money together and create a fund to fund any social programs you like.
5. Supporting a party that wants to import millions of poor illegal immigrants is essentially to screw the poor Americans.
Yes, that's a nice thought.

Come back to real life for a moment. What happens to your argument in a completely libertarian society, where the only thing between your Mad Max tribe and the next is firearms? Society never cooperated, it fell apart, and every man for themselves became the rule of law.

You can pay into society for order and the rule of law, or you can make the best of it as Mad Max in a world where force is law.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,383,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Sure, if you don't mind paying a couple grand in penalties, right?
Your point has been debunked. It's not even clear the penalties will be enforced.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:41 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,395,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

my family started out dirt poor

my father taught me to work...taught me a skill

my father was a wise man

work hard, learn hard, and you WILL achieve...you will succeed ... and a 6 figure income is not a measurement of success.

I have learned many skills... and worked hard.... loved hard... blood, sweat , and tears....

everyone has that opportunity... even those who unfortunately are born with disabilities...even those poor into a poor family.....

my son was born , with a learning disorder.... just graduated from Hofstra university
my daughter has severe dyslexia... and is succeeding in high school... lot of hard work and perseverance on her, and my wife and I..... my daughter is determine not to have the disability keep her down

why are you such a negative nelly??
How old are you?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:41 AM

5,308 posts, read 2,368,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Yes, that's a nice thought.

Come back to real life for a moment. What happens to your argument in a completely libertarian society, where the only thing between your Mad Max tribe and the next is firearms? Society never cooperated, it fell apart, and every man for themselves became the rule of law.

You can pay into society for order and the rule of law, or you can make the best of it as Mad Max in a world where force is law.
Force is always law...or law is always force, however you want to say it. Whoever is better at using force will enforce their ideas on others. Libertarians just want to use force defensively, never offensively. Currently, more people believe in using it by way of government power to coerce others, so that's how we live.

It's the old libertarian joke about wanting to take over the world and leave you alone...if there were enough of us, we'd just stop the people trying to coerce everyone and leave the innocent people alone.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,383,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Did I say I was for corporate welfare? There should be no bailouts. Yet, it is intellectually dishonest when people claim tax breaks are corporate welfare. There is a huge difference between tax loopholes and subsidies.
No there isn't. Both are government policies. There is no such thing as a loophole.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Taxpayers are investors.
Are you telling me someone sold you your American citizenship, rights, and privileges?

Because that's how investing works. It also sounds like you were scammed.

Citizenship is very different.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM

32,858 posts, read 19,562,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How old are you?
55 (56 at the end of the month) , if you really need to know

Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How old are you?
Apparently young enough to have never been hit with the random misfortunes of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.