Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Not going to happen. 1) Comey would have to perjure himself. He already has said that no one ever pressured him. 2) Even if Trump did ask him to drop the investigation, it isn't Obstruction of Justice. That has been made clear by a number of Constitutional attorneys.

They expect (they being the watchers of this case) that there is going to be a big NOTHING come out of Comey's testimony.
You are as usual drasticly misrepresenting what Comey has said in prior testimony. He said no one at the doj pressured him.

And yes it can be ooj, especially with the reason Trump gave for doing so.

I do agree that I don't expect much out of it, but for different reasons.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
Gee, with all the constitutional/legal experts on here, we may just as well dissolve the courts and let C-D posters weigh in on these things

Old 06-06-2017, 02:04 PM

348 posts, read 256,157 times
Trump just wished Comey luck regarding his testimony on Thursday.

I think this will be a major fail for everyone who is waiting for the sky to fall. Trump seems calm, pleasant and confident during this news conference.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:05 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm interested to see how it goes, but there's not going to be a "smoking gun." Trump wouldn't allow him to testify if that was the case. The general philosophy is that Trump won't block his testimony because it looks like he's covering something up if he does. However, if there was a smoking gun there (something brand new and damning), Trump would block the testimony and deal with it looking live a cover-up vs. actually being outed for something. That's basic risk management.

So pay attention, but don't hold your breath for anything new. This is going to be a long, long, long, process unfortunately.
Know that we have to work through the process. That's the only way we'll know if the rule of law holds.

We have a president who says that he doesn't have to follow the Constitution because he's the president and we're not.

Is that true?

We'll see, won't we?

Old 06-06-2017, 02:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
You people are dreaming.
Says the person repeating the nonsense that Comey would be perjuring himself, a bit of nonsense that gets shot down repeatedly.

I don't expect anything interesting to occur, you expect Comey to be arrested. Who is dreaming?

Old 06-06-2017, 02:08 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I don't know what Comey is going to say, but they (Comey, his lawyers, and those plotting against Trump) have been preparing for the last three weeks.

I have no doubt that Comey and his lawyers have been working with members of congress that want to take Trump down, it will be interesting to see what they plan to do. Comey having his records seized by the Justice Department before he could destroy them is really going to make it hard for Comey lie while under oath.

Comey is going to have to be very careful, and will likely only make very vague insinuations. He'll be sure to stop short of perjury.
Comey has pretty much sidelined himself by claiming he was not pressured while he was under oath. I suspect he will tap-dance a lot on Thursday much like he did with Hillary's situation that past summer.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
They have been investigating the Russian thing since last summer, it didn't matter when Trump fired Comey, the reaction from the Trump detractors would have been the same.
They've investigated Russian meddling in the elections since last summer- not the direct connection between Trump's campaign and advisers and Russia. That's a big difference.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:19 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Not going to happen. 1) Comey would have to perjure himself. He already has said that no one ever pressured him. 2) Even if Trump did ask him to drop the investigation, it isn't Obstruction of Justice. That has been made clear by a number of Constitutional attorneys.

They expect (they being the watchers of this case) that there is going to be a big NOTHING come out of Comey's testimony.
No, Comey said this:

HIRONO: So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?

COMEY: In theory yes.

HIRONO: Has it happened?

COMEY: Not in my experience. Because it would be a big deal to tell the FBI to stop doing something that -- without an appropriate purpose. I mean where oftentimes they give us opinions that we don't see a case there and so you ought to stop investing resources in it. But I'm talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal. It's not happened in my experience.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:20 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As I noted elsewhere, President Trump would be an idiot to try and claim that his conversation with Mr. Comey is subject to 'executive privilege'.
Which is why he never did. It's just the media trying as hard as they can to plant the idea in people's head that he was considering blocking Comey's testimony.

I can see they hooked one fish already.
Quote:
Plus, as has been noted, since Mr. Trump has unwisely tweeted concerning his talk with Mr. Comey, he opened that door anyway.
Oh, I see. Now it's Trump's fault that the media is trying to fool people about what he said?

Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I can see the next media headline now:

"Trump will be Making a Major Mistake if he Robs the Bank on 13th St. and Constitution Ave!!!"

Complete with major controversies, Congressional investigations, testimony from sobbing mothers who have all their savings in that bank, and weeks of stories on the history of bank robbing and the damage it has done.

If anybody in the Trump administration says, "Hey, this is all baloney, he's not going to rob the bank and never was!", the media will be quick to announce "Trump surrogates deny allegations of planned bank robberies, Trump remains silent". Democrat Senators will insist "It's the seriousness of the charge that makes it necessary to investigate it!"

And if any news channel questions whether there is any evidence that Trump was planning to rob the bank, the rest will scream, "Partisan news 'reporters' try to cover up possible bank robbery plot". And "White House continues to deny bank robbery scheme as controversy mounts!". And "What are they trying to hide???"
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
President Trump is not being 'open' by 'allowing' Mr. Comey to testify. He is painted into a corner, and he apparently has accepted that there is nothing he can do.
I can see that you've fallen for the media's trick completely. How does that hook, line, and sinker taste?

Or, are you one of the people who knows he never wanted to block Comey in the first place, without having to be "painted into any corner"... but now you are trying to fool people into thinking he did anyway?

There's a name for trying to promote falsehoods to the public.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,208,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Neither do I, BUT You are OFF-TOPIC, and TRYING TO DE-RAIL THIS THREAD!
What?

Because I mentioned a similar meeting?

Seems to me all of our politicians have plenty to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies