Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th
Education at a Prestigious Catholic school, how Ironic. Education at a college that doesnt agree with certain things like abortion, and homosexuality.. Too funny.
And they walk out on VP on their day of honor... how is their family to feel..
Bunch of whining little babies with their little rainbow colors on their gowns.
Wonder how they are going to be as employees, or as potential leaders when they act this way..No respect.
Yep, that phrase, a Catholic university,is still a bone of contention in the faith community. The Vatican (under John Paul II?) ordered that Catholic universities must adhere to the doctrine of the Church, & that members of the theology department must also comply. So yah, ND complies with the letter.

But governance of ND is not strictly limited to the CSC in any event. That happened some time ago, back in the 1960s, I believe. So it's still kinda up in the air. It's not usually a discussion that holds any interest for non-Catholics though.
Just not seeing it... No one would attend a Muslim university and expect them to serve pork in the dining hall. See what I mean?

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Because their definition of Catholic is different than yours? Pope Francis has said that while doctrine hasn't changed, Catholics should be more tolerant in practice.
The Catholic Church is still pro-life and anti-gay marriage. If those known positions violate a student's beliefs, why deliberately choose to attend a Catholic university?

Quote:
After all, the Catholic church's doctrine is that divorced people should not receive Communion - - how many Notre Dame students come from divorced households? Should they be barred too if they believe that their parents are good people who deserve to receive Communion?
I didn't say students should be barred. My point is that you don't deliberately choose a known entity, and then complain that it's not what you wanted.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Trump/Pence administration stand for so many things that the Catholic Church denounces.

Notre Dame students just announced a walkout at Mike Pence's commencement speech

Pence has freedom of speech but people have freedom not to listen.
Smart students.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No I very clearly said they aren't fair. But as I said you need to stop blaming all of the issues we are seeing here today on the media when President Trump has a lot to do with it.

By the way I share your thoughts on Hillary. She was the worst candidate I was forced to vote for, and I do mean forced as I considered her the lesser of two terrible choices.
You weren't forced. You could have voted 3rd party, or have written someone in, and it wouldn't have mattered. Maryland isn't a swing state. No one was going to win Maryland except Hillary.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:46 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Rather far afield

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Just not seeing it... No one would attend a Muslim university and expect them to serve pork in the dining hall. See what I mean?
Not in a university setting, no. However, in extremis, the mullahs mostly allow that one can drink water, eat food that is not halal (kosher will do, in a pinch), or even forbidden food - but the most conservative apparently feel that one should starve to death rather than sully one's lips. It's a tough religion, to be sure.

Islam focuses more on proper behavior than Christianity does - from what I've read. The inner life of the person doesn't seem to be a central concern of their theology.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:56 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default A man's reach should exceed his grasp

Quote:
The Catholic Church is still pro-life and anti-gay marriage. If those known positions violate a student's beliefs, why deliberately choose to attend a Catholic university?

I didn't say students should be barred. My point is that you don't deliberately choose a known entity, and then complain that it's not what you wanted.
The institutional Church is against homosexual activity - the marriage bit is just a logical consequence of that stance.

Since Vatican II, the laity are often in advance (or deviating, depending upon your preference) of the Magisterium. Slavery, for instance, was often justified as existing in the Bible, & therefore sanctioned of God.

I think that is & was a terrible argument. In the matter @ hand - yes, Catholicism rubs up against Modernity, & there is often a clash of values. I think the separation of Church & State in the US was wise - in that theological truth tends to be concerned with values & goals that are metaphysical - & can hardly even be expressed coherently in modern political terms.

These contentious issues will be worked out in time, presumably before the End of the World. & even if not - people seem to need goals to work toward. Perfecting a society & the citizens of that polity - are not bad goals, as these things go.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Not in a university setting, no. However, in extremis, the mullahs mostly allow that one can drink water, eat food that is not halal (kosher will do, in a pinch), or even forbidden food - but the most conservative apparently feel that one should starve to death rather than sully one's lips. It's a tough religion, to be sure.

Islam focuses more on proper behavior than Christianity does - from what I've read. The inner life of the person doesn't seem to be a central concern of their theology.
My point stands... No one would attend a Muslim university and expect to be served pork in the dining hall. So why are students who deliberately chose to attend a Catholic university surprised that Catholic beliefs are communicated at such and by those invited to speak at such?

Their response is immature.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:03 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Tomi Lahren's response to the issue has been appropriately trashed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tomi-lahr...023015044.html

Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM

421 posts, read 288,038 times
Quote:
My point stands... No one would attend a Muslim university and expect to be served pork in the dining hall. So why are students who deliberately chose to attend a Catholic university surprised that Catholic beliefs are communicated at such and by those invited to speak at such?

Their response is immature.

You need to educate yourself on Pence. They are doing exactly that up holding their catholic beliefs in a "peaceful protest" as is their right afforded them by the United States Constitution.Russia might of help Trump and Pence but this is still the USA and I for one am proud that over 100 students that were graduating add in many more protesting outside.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
You need to educate yourself on Pence. They are doing exactly that up holding their catholic beliefs in a "peaceful protest" as is their right afforded them by the United States Constitution.
Why would they protest a belief system they deliberately CHOSE to accept? Everyone knows Notre Dame is a Catholic university. No surprise, there.

Doing so is immature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies