Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Those who are against "late term abortions" how about the case of this girl:

Indiana Police Seek man who raped and impregnated 10 year old girl

The girl is 20 weeks pregnant. Would you consider her circumstance murder of the fetus? Does the fetus deserve to be murdered because it is a result of a rape? Who do you care about more, the girl or the fetus?

FWIW, no response is actually requested 100% for the above. For me I will state I care for the girl more in this circumstance and her family. If they decide to abort, I think it would be a good thing. If they decide to adopt out the child or raise the child within the family, that also could be a good thing.

Fact of the matter is, her situation is a horrible tragedy for both the 10 year old and the fetus and the family of the 10 year old. The 10 year old though, IMO is more important than the fetus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

The girl is 20 weeks pregnant. Would you consider her circumstance murder of the fetus? Does the fetus deserve to be murdered because it is a result of a rape? Who do you care about more, the girl or the fetus?

FWIW, no response is actually requested 100% for the above. For me I will state I care for the girl more in this circumstance and her family. If they decide to abort, I think it would be a good thing. If they decide to adopt out the child or raise the child within the family, that also could be a good thing.

Fact of the matter is, her situation is a horrible tragedy for both the 10 year old and the fetus and the family of the 10 year old. The 10 year old though, IMO is more important than the fetus.
If abortions were performed only for the rare tragic cases the divide would not be what it is.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:35 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Read Trumps budget proposal and Ryan's plan to cut health insurance and social services for the poor and get back to me.
It's been used for years, has nothing to do with Trump.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If abortions were performed only for the rare tragic cases the divide would not be what it is.
Abortions at 20 weeks or beyond usually are performed for rare tragic cases, yet people make it seem like women are getting 2nd trimester abortions for "birth control."

That is the point.

As stated, I know people who have had abortions after 20 weeks gestation. They were performed under tragic circumstances in regards to the fatal anomalies of the fetus - a child that was desperately wanted by the parents in all circumstances. Also, I have a friend who had their fetus "removed" (delivered via c-section) at 22 weeks gestation because she developed sepsis from a cerclage that was threatening her life. She did not want the delivery to occur, but her husband made the decision to do so after she had passed out and was incapable of telling them not to do it. She was willing to die for that baby, her husband and other children didn't want her to die. Her life was saved and the baby died soon after delivery. These sorts of things happen all the time. Fact of the matter is that "abortion" as people like to describe it is not true to the real life scenario most of the time and especially not so for those families who have had to deliver a premature baby due to medical emergency or who decide to terminate a pregnancy due to the fatal condition of the fetus.

Most abortions IMO happen due to some sort of tragic event going on in the life of the family or pregnant woman. That is why it should not be a political decision and should be left to the families involved.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:59 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times
Quote:

Or, let's say Sally lives in the United States and this bill had passed in both the House and Senate that would nationally have made it illegal to get abortions after 20 weeks unless the mother's health was endangered, and there a few other exceptions...but the fetus having abnormalities is not one of them:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-.../house-bill/36

Supposedly fetuses can feel pain after 20 weeks (although that's questionable) so that's why people want the 20 week limit.

That bill passed in the House of Representatives. It was shot down in the Senate though.

Sally has a great deal of unknown Jewish ancestry. 1 in 30 American Jews carry the genes for Tay Sachs disease. It doesn't affect them. It only affects their offspring if both parents carry the gene. Sally never got tested for the gene because she didn't know about her Jewish ancestry. Sally meets a wonderful Jewish boy and they decide to have a baby. 22 weeks into the pregnancy it's discovered that the fetus has Tay Sachs disease and will probably live to be five years old. So far as I can tell the above bill wouldn't have allowed an abortion...anywhere in the nation, for Sally.

Heck I'd want her to be able to get an abortion after 21 weeks if her unborn child had a non-life threatening disability. I don't know why a lifetime of struggle would be superior to a few moments of pain, if the disorder is discovered late.

Some people want to legislate their delusional fantasies about what sorts of life are important, regardless of what the rest of the rest of the country thinks. I don't really have a problem with people pushing their moral code onto others...if they're correct. The people who made the above bill were simply incorrect.

A smaller one of these monsters just passed in the Tennesse Senate. We'll see if it passes in the House:

Sen. Lee Harris, D-Memphis, said he was concerned the bill did not address cases where there were fetal abnormalities. He suggested that some parents would not be able to exercise their right to abort fetuses with profound abnormalities, as a result of the legislation. He called the measure, where doctors face new criminal penalties of prison time and the possibility of losing their license, a sea change.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...sses-in-senate

Last edited by Clintone; 05-26-2017 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Abortions at 20 weeks or beyond usually are performed for rare tragic cases, yet people make it seem like women are getting 2nd trimester abortions for "birth control."

That is the point.
I never said that. There were very few doctors performing them. Numbers are irrelevant. Not many people rob banks either but it's still wrong.

When we first looked to ban this procedure the doctors that were performing these noted that they were mostly "purely elective".

After viability there is never a reason to intentionally kill a fetus.

Is this a biased source? It is but the testimony is what it is.

And I'll be quite frank: most of my abortions are elective in that 20-24 week range. . . . In my particular case, probably 20% [of this procedure] are for genetic reasons. And the other 80% are purely elective.

https://www.nrlc.org/archive/abortio...pbafact10.html

Quote:
As stated, I know people who have had abortions after 20 weeks gestation. They were performed under tragic circumstances in regards to the fatal anomalies of the fetus - a child that was desperately wanted by the parents in all circumstances. Also, I have a friend who had their fetus "removed" (delivered via c-section) at 22 weeks gestation because she developed sepsis from a cerclage that was threatening her life. She did not want the delivery to occur, but her husband made the decision to do so after she had passed out and was incapable of telling them not to do it. She was willing to die for that baby, her husband and other children didn't want her to die. Her life was saved and the baby died soon after delivery. These sorts of things happen all the time. Fact of the matter is that "abortion" as people like to describe it is not true to the real life scenario most of the time and especially not so for those families who have had to deliver a premature baby due to medical emergency or who decide to terminate a pregnancy due to the fatal condition of the fetus.
You do not know "people" who had abortions after 20 weeks unless you worked for one of these doctors and we will note that in your second scenario, there was no abortion performed.

Quote:
Most abortions IMO happen due to some sort of tragic event going on in the life of the family or pregnant woman. That is why it should not be a political decision and should be left to the families involved.
A generalization that means nothing.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am beginning to believe the issue at the core of the "Pro-Life" movement is abstinence, not abortion. The hard-core pro-lifers are also against birth control, support abstinence-only sex-ed, and will shame any girl who gets pregnant, even if they keep the baby, because they dared to defy the rules of the fundamentalists and have sex before marriage. They oppose free distribution of things such as condoms to help prevent unwanted pregnancies. Why else would they shame teenagers who get pregnant? They should be supportive of them for keeping the baby but instead they consider them "whores" because they had sex.

That's also why they also support laws making it harder to adopt children and oppose helping those who choose to have their babies. It's not about the children. It's about controlling women. They want to make sure life is as difficult as possible for young women who have sex out of wedlock.

Now I want to say I don't think this is the case for all pro-lifers. There are some pro-life arguments I actually am sympathetic to. However, it seems the most vocal conservative pro-lifers are really about promoting a society where women stay pure until marriage, as the Bible demands.
Probably just disgruntled that they don't get any from their wives anymore, and so don't want anyone else to have a sex life either.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:43 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
I'm pro-life but not abstinence only. I want a return towards condom based birth control as opposed to the big push towards pills or implants. Regardless of whether a woman is on the pill or implant, the condom should still be used as both a backup birth control method and a step towards helping to prevent contracting an STD. I was a teen when HIV meant you WILL DIE! Many in my generation used condoms to protect our lives as well as help prevent pregnancies. Now some STDs are resistant to normal medication. The pill won't help prevent contracting these STDs, but condoms with spermicidal lubricant does.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:11 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
I am against abortion. It will not be made illegal though. I would like instead then for the unborn babies to be euthanized near painlessly like you would a cat or dog before their bodies are dismembered. It would be more humane. It is barbaric to dismember a living being alive or burn a living being alive until dead like is done in an abortion.

Once a child is born to single mothers there needs to be more help for the mothers to be able to be employed and take care of their own children.

And if a baby is conceived in rape then the fathers need to automatically not have any rights to the child at all. Currently, the rape victims have to constantly be around their rapists so the fathers can execute their rights.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I am against abortion. It will not be made illegal though. I would like instead then for the unborn babies to be euthanized near painlessly like you would a cat or dog before their bodies are dismembered. It would be more humane. It is barbaric to dismember a living being alive or burn a living being alive until dead like is done in an abortion.
It won't be done as that is admitting it's not just a blob of cells.

Quote:
Once a child is born to single mothers there needs to be more help for the mothers to be able to be employed and take care of their own children.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies