Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:04 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Apparently the death toll was the result of explosives in the building, not the bomb that was dropped.

Quote:
The strike had targeted two ISIS snipers who were on the building's second floor; the U.S. bomb was expected to damage no more than 20 percent of the structure, the Pentagon says. Instead, the building was reduced to a crater of rubble, after ISIS-emplaced explosives detonated, the report says.

The Pentagon says the home that was hit on March 17 either was used to store bombs or was rigged with explosives that "conservatively contained more than four times the net explosive weight" of the 500-pound munition (with 192 pounds of explosive material) that was dropped on the building.

A summary of the report says the munition, described as a "GBU-38 with a delayed fuse," was chosen by the coalition's Target Engagement Authority in the belief that it would achieve "the necessary effect and minimize collateral damage."
Coalition investigators' analysis of the blast site found "residues common to explosives used by ISIS, but not consistent with the explosive content of a GBU-38," the Pentagon says. One of those explosives was nitroglycerin, which investigators say was "likely used by ISIS to sensitize the secondary explosive devices to detonate more easily."

The report adds that the crater at the rear of the structure was in a different area from where the GBU-38 entered and detonated on the second floor.

Pentagon Blames 105 Civilian Deaths From Mosul Strike On 'Secondary Explosion' : The Two-Way : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think people need to realize that although tragedy happens, American's targeting civilians is a ridiculous attempt at spin created by widespread media sensationalism and anti-american propaganda

The USA regularly exposes it's own troops to more danger (very restrictive rules of engagement) and spends SIGNIFICANTLY more money (smart bombs) in order to avoid civilian casualties. The only people actually targeting civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan are radical Muslim terrorists.
It's not a tragedy when it happens over and over again. And yes America does target innocents. That has been exposed time and time again. Thousands of innocents were killed during Obamas drone strikes. That doesn't matter though because people in the Middle East don't count as humans, right? We should never respecr their rights as individuals.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I never said majority of them joined with ISIS.

I am only saying BEFORE joining ISIS (and other terrorist groups), they need to realize that evil organizations killed most Muslims. Maybe they should consider getting rid of terrorist groups instead of joining them. That is all.
Before joining ISIS they had not caused anyone any harm. Then their family was murdered.

Maybe we should consider leaving the Middle East. Or better yet America should stop helping Al Qaeda by bombing Assad.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
US air strike in Mosul killed at least 105 civilians, Pentagon confirms | The Independent

" A Pentagon investigation has found more than 100 civilians were killed in a US bombing in Mosul, Iraq, in March, making it one of the largest incidents of civilian death since the US air campaign against Isis began in 2014.

The military reports 101 civilians in the building were killed, and another four died in a nearby building. Thirty-six civilians remain unaccounted for. "

No wonder the War on Terror isn't working. We usual kill 100 civilians to kill 10 bad guys. I'd guess we just created 200 new Osama Bin Laden's with one misplaced bomb.
War can be terrible. What also jumped out at me is "making it one of the largest incidents of civilian death since the US air campaign against Isis began in 2014. Very sad.

Quote:
We usual kill 100 civilians to kill 10 bad guys.
I doubt if this is true.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not a tragedy when it happens over and over again. And yes America does target innocents. That has been exposed time and time again. Thousands of innocents were killed during Obamas drone strikes. That doesn't matter though because people in the Middle East don't count as humans, right? We should never respecr their rights as individuals.

Having been in that business, I will tell you, no, the US does not target civilians. Although civilian casualties are frequently unavoidable, our targeting practices do attempt to avoid them as much as possible. In fact, that was the specific reason a GBU-38 was used in this case.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Before joining ISIS they had not caused anyone any harm. Then their family was murdered.

Maybe we should consider leaving the Middle East. Or better yet America should stop helping Al Qaeda by bombing Assad.
Most of the ISIS fighters are veterans of earlier wars, not people who had done no harm before joining ISIS.

However, I agree that the US should get out of the middle east and stop fighting Saudi Arabia's war.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Having been in that business, I will tell you, no, the US does not target civilians. Although civilian casualties are frequently unavoidable, our targeting practices do attempt to avoid them as much as possible. In fact, that was the specific reason a GBU-38 was used in this case.
Good to know there is a difference between actual targeting and not giving a rats #$@ who you hit. That's the kicker.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Most of the ISIS fighters are veterans of earlier wars, not people who had done no harm before joining ISIS.

However, I agree that the US should get out of the middle east and stop fighting Saudi Arabia's war.
Yes but there is no difference being against America for the reason they killed your family or friends based on when it was done. It was done, that's all that matters to them.
Never forget! Right?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:37 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Yes but there is no difference being against America for the reason they killed your family or friends based on when it was done. It was done, that's all that matters to them.
Never forget! Right?
He already said, he agrees that the US should get out of the middle east and stop fighting Saudi Arabia's war.

what else do you want?!

Most Americans are tired of these useless wars, but saying Americans troops target civilians is just not the truth.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
He already said, he agrees that the US should get out of the middle east and stop fighting Saudi Arabia's war.
Yes I read the post. What's your point?

Quote:
what else do you want?!
for you to make a coherrent point on my post that you are commenting on

Quote:
Most Americans are tired of these useless wars, but saying Americans troops target civilians is just not the truth.
So far I see you as the ONLY person falsely testifying to that. Maybe you can link to a post that says Americans are purposely targeting civilians. Either way I'm not the one saying it, so again, what's your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies