Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Seriously, you people need to educate yourself. The over population argument was shown to be BS.

We are not overpopulated, that whole mantra from the 60-70's was shown to be idiocy.

Also, to claim AI will take over 99% of the jobs is an example of how ignorant people are who know nothing about computer technology and what it means concerning AI.

You people sound like the guy going on when industrialization began. It is ignorant fear mongering.
You have no idea. I work with people in this industry. Please don't try to educate me about technology you don't even know exists yet. The point is, what are they going to do with hundreds of millions of unemployable people? It's either basic income or starvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Interesting. I never thought of that. Sounds kinda nice actually - no more insurance; car payments; cost of maintaining a vehicle; purchasing a vehicle; or worrying about driving after that glass of wine with dinner.

Hmmm.

But then millions unemployed.
There will be a cost associated with hailing these autonomous cars of course. I am sure there will still be people who own their own cars but it will be considered a luxury sort of like having your own private plane.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Seriously, you people need to educate yourself. The over population argument was shown to be BS.

We are not overpopulated, that whole mantra from the 60-70's was shown to be idiocy.

Also, to claim AI will take over 99% of the jobs is an example of how ignorant people are who know nothing about computer technology and what it means concerning AI.

You people sound like the guy going on when industrialization began. It is ignorant fear mongering.
You say fear mongering but those with skin in the game like Musk, Gates or Zuckerberg see it as the future.

Inventing a machine that makes a job more productive and products less expensive as was the case during the industrial revolution is very different than inventing a computer or robot that eliminates the persons job entirely. One driverless taxi will take away 2 or 3 taxi drivers jobs. It can run 24/7 without breaks. Same with long haul trucking.

I think we are very close to the tipping point where a whole segments of jobs will disappear very quickly. You take driving jobs, retail and food service which are likely to be the first to transition to automation and they represent about 15% of the workforce. 99% of the jobs do not have to become automated to have a dramatic impact on our economy. Our retail and restaurant industries have shifted from family run to nationwide chains over the past few decades. These corporations have the financial resources and incentive to convert human jobs to AI jobs. Employee theft, workmans comp, health insurance and other factors will be huge savings besides not having to pay employees.

To have ones head in the sand and believe what happened in 1800's will repeat itself in the future is very naive.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
You have no idea. I work with people in this industry. Please don't try to educate me about technology you don't even know exists yet. The point is, what are they going to do with hundreds of millions of unemployable people? It's either basic income or starvation.
You do not understand one basic fact: there is no limit on human demands for goods and services.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:46 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
The time is coming when we will enter a non work-based economy, a post-work world, due to automation and AI. BGI is inevitable. Not in my lifetime but I could see it becoming a reality for those born today.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:40 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You do not understand one basic fact: there is no limit on human demands for goods and services.
Does it matter if productivity improves faster than the increase in demand?

Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
We need J Edgar Hoover again. This is why these enemies of the state are so afraid of Donald Trump. Because they know he has the power to stop them.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If unemployment is up to 20% and GDP is growing at 3% then let's go with basic income. It ain't happening. Once again, there is no limit on demand for goods.
Well then, we agree. We both agree that now isnt the time, and you're with me that the time is 20%+ unemployment. I might argue that GDP growth would actually have to be higher.

Quote:

Im in the industry. 99% is unrealistic, its probably only about 75% or so. Theres some things that will resist it for a while. Judge for example, and police. (Although Dubai is planning on replacing 25% of its police force).

But its not ignorant fear mongering. It really is coming. And its showing up a lot faster then you would think. The expert systems really are the forerunner of this sort of thing.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:58 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The time is coming when we will enter a non work-based economy, a post-work world, due to automation and AI. BGI is inevitable. Not in my lifetime but I could see it becoming a reality for those born today.
Will everybody be rich then?

Why or why not?

Old 05-28-2017, 12:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Will everybody be rich then?

Why or why not?
yes...and no.

Rich is a relative term. Will everyone have the basics covered? Yup. But those who choose to work will have far more. and we will still have the obscenely wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies